1. It’s more comprehensive. Unlike the Y-chromosome or mitochondrial DNA test, AncestryDNA® uses an autosomal DNA test that surveys a person’s entire genome at over 700,000 locations. It covers both the maternal and paternal sides of the family tree, so it covers all lineages. The Y-DNA test only reflects the direct father-to-son path in your family tree, and the mtDNA test only reflects the direct mother-to-child path in your family tree. Learn more about the differences between the DNA tests here.here.
2. The test is gender neutral. Both men and women can take the AncestryDNA® autosomal test since we all carry the DNA that is being tested. In fact, men and women are tested in the same way for the same number of markers.
3. It predicts your recent genetic ethnicity.Thanks to advances in DNA technology we’re able to compare your DNA to samples from around the world, to find out more about your family’s background and ethnic history—not ancient history, but the people and places that matter to you.
4. Enhanced DNA matching.Unlike the Y-chromosome or mitochondrial DNA tests, the AncestryDNA autosomal test looks at a much broader range of your DNA, which helps identify matches throughout your entire family tree—along both your paternal and maternal sides..
5. The information is more relevant and recent. Targeting your family history a few hundred or even a thousand years ago, as compared to the Y and mtDNA tests, which have a 10,000 to 50,000 year time focus.
Improved website AncestryDNA® has a significantly enhanced personalized site experience with interactive tools and features to make your family history search even easier.