Search for content in message boards

John O'Driscoll of Knight's Town, d. 1888

Replies: 0

John O'Driscoll of Knight's Town, d. 1888

Posted: 1553982134000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1554689056000
Surnames: Driscoll
Hello, I am looking for more on the origins of John O'Driscoll of Knight's Town and am wondering if anyone happens to know more about him.

His son Alexander, a magistrate, died in August of 1913 in Harrowgate, England aged 51.

Alexander was in the 1901 census in Farranreagh, listed as a magistrate and coal merchant.
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kerry/Valentia/...

J.P. Alexander was present at the election of Dr. Alexander O'Driscoll as medical officer of Cahercivieen in 1898. I have some info on Dr. O'Driscoll (paternal lineage from Skibbereen, Co Cork) but have no paper evidence the two Alexanders were relatives.

Alexander the J.P. married Mary Foley on 16 November 1881 in Kilrush, Co Clare.
According to the marriage rec his father was John who was a landed proprietor.
Unable to find John O'Driscoll in U Galway Landed Estates DB.

Alexander and Mary Foley resided in Coombe Hill.
They had several children (as per 1901 census). e.g. Son John baptized 21 Sep 1887

Best as I can figure -

Alexander was baptized 07 May 1862 Valentia R.C. Parish.
Mother's name was Mary Ann Burke.
His godparents were Thomas Maginn? and Ellen Burke.

other known siblings:

Thaddeus b. 01 Jul 1866, unable to find baptism, records might be missing
Caroline Mary 17 Jul 1870 godparents Rev J Kearney, Mary O'Driscoll
b. 15 Jul 1870
Gerald James 17 Jul 1870 godparents Gerald Burke, Bridget Doran
b. William James 15 Jul 1870

John their father was recorded as a merchant on birth recs.

Unable to find conclusive marriage record for John Driscoll and Mary Ann Burke. John died a widower, aged 77, in Knight's Town, Valentia on 02 Jun 1888. Son Thaddeus P.A.D.

There were other John Driscoll - Mary Burke marriages producing families in Schull and Castlehaven, Co Cork, but they appear to be different families.

Other O'Driscolls in Knight's Town around 1901 were Patrick O'Driscoll a telegraphist and William O'Driscoll a rate collector.

Topographical Dictionary of Ireland does not mention O'Driscolls in Valencia Island so I figure they may have originally come from somewhere else.

Find a board about a specific topic