The Haverford College Quaker Collection contains an index of death notices and obituaries from Quaker periodicals, dating from 1828 to the present. The titles of those periodicals are listed below. Some titles changed over time as they merged with others and acquired different editorial staff.
- The American Friend 1894-1960 (Five Years Meeting – Orthodox)
- Evangelical Friend 1905-1914, 1929-1994 (Ohio)
- Friend Bulletin 1934-2008 (Pacific Yearly Meeting)
- Friends Weekly Intelligencer 1844-1853 (Philadelphia, Pa.- Hicksite)
- Friends Intelligencer 1853-1885 (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Friends Intelligencer and Journal 1888-1901 (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Friends Intelligencer 1902-1955 (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Friends Review 1848-1894 (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Friends Journal 1955-2012 (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Quaker Life 1960-2012 (Friends United Meeting, Indiana)
- Western Friend 2008-2012 (Pacific, North Pacific & Intermountain Yearly Meetings)
Each index card typically includes: name of the deceased, birth and death years (where available), and the title of the periodical the death notice appeared in, including page number. If you are interested in requesting a copy of the original entry contact Special Collections at Haverford College Magill Library. They offer some research and copying services. For more information, visit their website. Please have the card from this collection handy when you contact them.
Most entries in periodicals include the name of the meeting attended by the deceased and may include internment information.