— 2015 Revenues $683.1 million, Up 10.3% Year-Over-Year —
— 2015 Adjusted EBITDA $263.0 million, Up 16.7% Year-Over-Year(1) —
— Subscriber base grows by approximately 150,000 in 2015 —
— AncestryDNA sells approximately one million DNA kits in 2015;
DNA kit sales more than double in Q4 year-over-year—
PROVO, Utah, Feb. 17, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Ancestry.com LLC (the "Company"), the largest provider of family history and personal DNA testing, reported financial results today for the fourth quarter and full year ended December 31, 2015.
"Ancestry delivered a milestone year in 2015, including outstanding financial performance and key strategic achievements across the company," said Tim Sullivan, President and Chief Executive Officer of Ancestry.com. "Our performance was highlighted by strong, profitable growth throughout the year, featuring double-digit increases in revenue and adjusted EBITDA. On the strategic front, we delivered a greatly enhanced customer experience, launched major new content collections, grew AncestryDNA into the largest consumer genomic database and progressed on important growth initiatives internationally and in our emerging businesses. We're off to a great start in 2016, a year in which we will be focused on continuing to diversify and expand the growth profile of the company, executing well in our core businesses and investing in our future."
Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2015 Financial Highlights
(1) Adjusted EBITDA for the year ended December 31, 2015 increased 16.7%, year-over-year, excluding the impact of one-time expenses to $263.0 million. Adjusted EBITDA for the three and twelve months ended December 31, 2015 includes $2.4 million and $4.4 million, respectively, of professional service fees related primarily to litigation, reimbursement for certain legal and accounting costs incurred by one of our Sponsors and costs associated with a return-of-capital distribution declared in August 2015 to our parent company, Ancestry.com Holdings LLC. For the three and twelve months ended December 31, 2014, adjusted EBITDA includes $6.3 million and $10.6 million, respectively, of accrued interest paid on restricted cash held pending resolution of the shareholder appraisal litigation, professional service fees related to litigation and costs associated with the return-of-capital distribution paid in February 2014 by our parent company.
(2) Adjusted EBITDA is defined as net income (loss) plus interest expense, net; other (income) expense, net; income tax expense (benefit); and non-cash charges including depreciation, amortization and stock-based compensation expense.
(3) Free cash flow subtracts from adjusted EBITDA the capitalization of content databases, purchases of property and equipment and cash received (paid) for income taxes and interest.
(4) This amount does not include $390.2 million in senior unsecured PIK notes issued by our parent company, Ancestry.com Holdings LLC. While not required, Ancestry.com LLC has made and intends to pay future distributions or loans to its parent related to the PIK notes.
Ancestry Business Updates
Conference Call & Webcast
Ancestry.com will host a conference call today at 3:00 p.m. MT (5:00 p.m. ET). Participants can access the conference call by dialing (844) 831-3026 (domestic toll-free) or (315) 625-6887 (international) approximately ten minutes prior to the start time.
Use of Non-GAAP Measures
The Company believes that adjusted EBITDA and free cash flow are useful measures of operating performance because they exclude items that the Company does not consider indicative of its core performance. In the case of adjusted EBITDA, net income (loss) is adjusted for interest expense, net; other (income) expense, net; income tax expense (benefit); and non-cash charges including depreciation, amortization and stock-based compensation expense. Free cash flow subtracts from adjusted EBITDA the capitalization of content databases, purchases of property and equipment and cash received (paid) for income taxes and interest. However, these non-GAAP measures should be considered in addition to, not as a substitute for or superior to, net income (loss) and net cash provided by operating activities, or other financial measures prepared in accordance with GAAP. A reconciliation to net income (loss), the GAAP equivalent of these non-GAAP measures is contained in tabular form on the attached unaudited summary financial statements.
The Company uses adjusted EBITDA and free cash flow as measures of operating performance; for planning purposes, including the preparation of the annual operating budget; to allocate resources to enhance the financial performance of its business; to evaluate the effectiveness of its business strategies; and in communications with its operating committee concerning its financial performance. The Company also uses adjusted EBITDA as a factor when determining the incentive compensation pool.
Ancestry is the largest provider of family history and personal DNA testing, harnessing the information found in family trees, historical records and genetics to help people gain a new level of understanding about their lives. Ancestry has more than 2.2 million paying subscribers across its core Ancestry websites and approximately 1.5 million DNA samples in the AncestryDNA database. Since 1996, more than 17 billion records have been added, and users have created more than 70 million family trees on the Ancestry flagship site and its affiliated international websites. Ancestry offers a suite of family history products including Archives, Fold3, Newspapers.com and AncestryDNA sold by its subsidiary, Ancestry.com DNA, LLC, and the AncestryHealth product, offered by its subsidiary AncestryHealth.com, LLC.
This press release contains forward-looking statements that relate to future events or to future financial performance and involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause the Company's actual results to be materially different from those anticipated in these forward-looking statements. In some cases, you can identify forward-looking statements by the use of words such as "appears," "may," "designed," "expect," "intend," "focus," "seek," "anticipate," "believe," "estimate," "predict," "potential," "should," "continue" or "work" or the negative of these terms or other comparable terminology. These statements include statements describing the Company's subscriber base, future earnings, financial and operating performance, its leadership position and its opportunities and prospects for growth, including growth in revenues, adjusted EBITDA and number of subscribers. Forward-looking statements involve a number of risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those anticipated by these forward-looking statements. In particular, such risks and uncertainties include the Company's continued ability to attract and retain subscribers; continued service outages or a significant disruption in service on its websites; its continued ability to acquire content and make it available online; and its ability to add tools and features and provide value to satisfy customer demand. Information concerning these and additional factors that could cause events or results to differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements is contained under the caption "Risk Factors" in our Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the period ended September 30, 2015, which was filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on October 30, 2015, and in discussions in other of our Securities and Exchange Commission filings.
These forward-looking statements should not be relied upon as representing our views as of any subsequent date and we assume no obligation to publicly update or revise these forward-looking statements for any reason, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.
|CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEETS|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||128,157||$||108,494|
|Accounts receivable, net of allowances of $997 and $540 at December 31, 2015 and December 31, 2014, respectively||13,624||11,241|
|Other current assets||6,288||1,813|
|Total current assets||162,709||180,464|
|Property and equipment, net||54,795||37,106|
|Content databases, net||282,281||282,815|
|Intangible assets, net||159,736||269,054|
|LIABILITIES AND MEMBER'S INTERESTS|
|Current portion of long-term debt, net||7,087||46,537|
|Total current liabilities||244,900||299,177|
|Long-term debt, net||989,256||799,403|
|Deferred income taxes||59,809||110,184|
|Other long-term liabilities||46,877||16,406|
|Commitments and contingencies|
|Total member's interests||280,918||495,727|
|Total liabilities and member's interests||$||1,621,760||$||1,720,897|
|CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF OPERATIONS|
|Three months ended|
|Service and other revenues||28,214||15,469||99,030||65,734|
|Costs of revenues:|
|Cost of subscription revenues||26,419||24,556||103,051||95,899|
|Cost of service and other revenues||17,255||10,730||60,668||43,654|
|Total cost of revenues||43,674||35,286||163,719||139,553|
|Technology and development||24,971||21,677||97,105||94,221|
|Marketing and advertising||46,461||40,195||171,094||168,536|
|General and administrative||16,365||18,489||54,427||60,971|
|Amortization of acquired intangible assets||27,017||36,636||109,318||147,681|
|Total operating expenses||114,814||116,997||431,944||471,409|
|Income from operations||19,122||2,879||87,442||8,582|
|Interest expense, net||(18,874||)||(17,298||)||(81,056||)||(69,680||)|
|Other expense, net||(105||)||(512||)||(334||)||(368||)|
|Income (loss) before income taxes||143||(14,931||)||6,052||(61,466||)|
|Income tax benefit||13,369||7,416||23,366||42,738|
|Net income (loss)||$||13,512||$||(7,515||)||$||29,418||$||(18,728||)|
|Three months ended December 31,||Year ended December 31,|
|Reconciliation of adjusted EBITDA and free cash flow to net income (loss): (1)|
|Net income (loss)||$||13,512||$||(7,515||)||$||29,418||$||(18,728||)|
|Interest expense, net||18,874||17,298||81,056||69,680|
|Other expense, net||105||512||334||368|
|Income tax benefit||(13,369||)||(7,416||)||(23,366||)||(42,738||)|
|Stock-based compensation expense||1,968||2,008||7,683||8,004|
|Capitalization of content databases||(7,899||)||(8,358||)||(32,514||)||(37,566||)|
|Purchases of property and equipment||(5,169||)||(2,712||)||(15,117||)||(21,821||)|
|Cash paid for interest (2)||(26,028||)||(23,227||)||(62,831||)||(60,450||)|
|Cash paid for income taxes||(6,462||)||(107||)||(23,333||)||(1,334||)|
|Free cash flow||$||16,654||$||20,214||$||124,800||$||93,668|
(1) Net loss and therefore adjusted EBITDA and free cash flow for the three and twelve months ended December 31, 2015 include $2.4 million and $4.4 million, respectively, of professional service fees related primarily to litigation, reimbursement for certain legal and accounting costs incurred by one of our Sponsors and costs associated with a return-of-capital distribution declared in August 2015 to our parent company, Ancestry.com Holdings LLC. For the three and twelve months ended December 31, 2014, net loss and therefore adjusted EBITDA and free cash flow include $6.3 million and $10.6 million, respectively, of accrued interest paid on restricted cash held pending resolution of the shareholder appraisal litigation, professional service fees related to litigation and costs associated with the return-of-capital distribution paid in February 2014 by our parent company.
(2) Cash paid for interest for the three and twelve months ended December 31, 2015 does not include $19.3 million and $38.4 million, respectively, payments made to our parent related to the interest obligations on its senior unsecured PIK notes. Cash for paid for interest for three and twelve months ended December 31, 2014 does not include $19.2 million and $37.6 million, respectively, of payments made to our parent related to the interest obligations on its senior unsecured PIK notes.
|Total Subscribers and Net Subscriber Additions|
|Year ended December 31,|
|Net subscriber additions||149||(25||)|
Contact: Melissa Garrett firstname.lastname@example.org (801) 705-7105