Here at Ancestry, we're celebrating the month of October in a BIG way as October is Family History Month! We have a series of educational posts focused on a day in the life of your ancestor that will be shared throughout the month, including great pieces from guest contributors. We will also be hosting several giveaways on our social media channels. So if you're not already following us on Facebook
, and Instagram
, there's no better time to start! We're also thrilled to be hosting our second annual Find A Grave Day
on Saturday, October 17th
We hope you'll end the month with deeper insights into the day-to-day activities of your ancestors.
Family History Month Events (Online/Offline)
Take a look at the complete list of events below and mark your calendar so you won't miss a thing. We're sure this will be the best Family History Month ever!
- October 6th, 10AM PT / 1PM ET? What's New at Ancestry: October 2015 Edition - Join Crista Cowan for a quick look at the upcoming genealogy events she'll be attending. You'll learn about new features and tools available that can make your family history easier and more fun. She'll also take a look at some of the great new content released in the past month and show you how best to search it to find the stories of your ancestors' lives.
- October 13th, 10AM / 1PM ET ? Celebrate Family History Month - Join Crista Cowan for a look at ten things you can do this month to celebrate Family History Month.
- October 17th ? Second Annual Find A Grave Community Day - Meet up with hundreds of volunteers across the globe who are joining forces to fulfill hundreds of thousands of photo requests on Find A Grave. You're invited to join an existing event in your community or start your own event if there isn't already one at your local cemetery. Learn how you can be a part of the fun here.
- October 20th 10AM / 1PM ET ? Best Practices for Attaching Records to Your Online Tree - Shaky leaf hints. Suggested records. Searching from your tree. Browsing through the Card Catalog. These are all ways we can discover records that tell the stories of the lives of our ancestors. Save these records to the individuals in your tree to create automatic source citations. But, what about the details that are added to your tree by these records' Alternate names, dates and places. Duplicate people. Join Crista Cowan for a look at the best practices to use when attaching records and some of the pitfalls to avoid.
- October 27th 10AM / 1PM ET ? Getting the Most Out of the Ancestry Image Viewer - Ancestry has more than 16 billion records online and many of those records have an image associated with them. Census images. Passenger lists. Probate files. Join Crista Cowan for a look at the Ancestry Image Viewer. She'll show you how to use it to get the most from the records and to find even more about your ancestors.
Social Media Giveaways
Stay tuned for giveaways throughout the month of October on our Facebook page here
, for free products including Ancestry memberships, AncestryDNA kits, and more!
For those who love Pinterest as much as we do, we have a fun contest for you!
What to pin'
- Records or images from Ancestry
- Newspaper clippings from Newspapers.com
- Records from local libraries, genealogical societies or historical societies
- Relevant historical events or moments in history that impacted your family or an individual in your family tree
- Burial information or grave photos from Find A Grave
- Military Honor Wall page on Fold3
- Photos of a family bible, diary, calendar or portraits of family members
- Create a new board titled ?My Family History with Ancestry?
- Each pin must include the #AncestryContest hashtag.
- Valid entries must include a minimum of ten (10) pins or repins to their My Family History with Ancestry' board that represent the things they love about their family or a specific family member.
- Once your Pinterest board is complete, return to this post to submit your Pinterest board URL and provide us with your contact information via the submission form above.
- Limit one (1) entry per person.
NOTE: This contest is open to U.S. residents only, see official rules here
WINNER ANNOUNCED (11/4/15): Congrats to Mary B. of Crawfordville, FL our selected winner for the Family History Month Pinterest contest. Thank you to all those who participated and we look forward to more exciting giveaways in the future!
Of course, to stay updated on all things Ancestry and Family History Month giveaways, follow us on our social media accounts: