Don't Let Mold Destroy Your Family History
Back to Blog
Moldy magazine This magazine has mold on the front cover. Eventually, the mold would destroy it. Mold is a four-letter word. It can destroy your documents and it can make you sick. What do you do when you discover that great-grandpa's Civil War letters or the family Bible has mold on it' Here are some tips to help you when you discover mold.

First, Protect Yourself

You can't tell who will be affected by exposure to mold. Common reactions to mold exposure include runny nose, eye irritation, cough, headache, fatigue, and aggravation of asthma. Anyone with asthma, serious allergies, respiratory problems, diabetes, compromised immune systems, or taking steroid therapy should avoid moldy materials and the area where they are. Take steps to protect yourself. Mold spores can enter your body through your breathing and also through small breaks in your skin. Here are some ways to help prevent mold exposure:
  • Use a N95 disposable respirator, available online and in some home improvement stores
  • Use disposable gloves when handling the materials
  • Wear goggles or protective eyewear
  • Do not touch your eyes or mouth after touching a moldy item
  • Wash your hands as soon as possible after you've left the area where the moldy item is.
  • Shower with hot water as soon as possible.
  • Wash your clothes in hot water; use bleach. (And don't wear good clothes. Mold can stain and it does not come out.)

Get the Item Safe and Dry

Mold thrives on moisture. If the item is wet, you'll need to dry it before you can attempt to remove the mold. Store it somewhere away from people, perhaps a garage or a dry shed. If you have something with multiple pages, like a book or magazine, you may need to put paper towels or blank copy paper between the pages. Here's how I recently dried out a book that landed in my bathtub.

Removing the Mold

After the item is dry, use a clean paint brush to lightly dust off the mold. If there are stubborn spots, you can try gently wiping with a slightly damp cloth or sponge. A better solution is to use a non-chemical natural dry sponge. These are often advertised as "soot sponges." (Absorene is one brand name.) They are available in many home improvement stores. What's nice about them is that they are designed to be used dry, so you're not introducing any moisture to the item. When you're using a sponge, remember to be gentle. This isn't like rubbing out a stain from your shirt. Rub too hard and you might end up tearing the paper or erasing the print!

If In Doubt

If you're not comfortable working with a moldy item or if the job is too big for you to handle, contact a professional conservator. Many historical societies and archives maintain lists of conservators and preservationists in your area.