Search for content in message boards

FTM upload issue: Foreign characters lost after tree export/import

Replies: 7

Re: FTM upload issue: Foreign characters lost after tree export/import

Posted: 1371020326000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1371022566000
I've now tested this and am happy to say that I've found a solution that works for me. (Thanks for the GEDCOM hint in your reply, kj.) FTM2012 does still have an issue though:

- The problem happens when uploading trees from the latest FTM2012 version to the Ancestry site. It didn't happen in FTM2011, which didn't offer TreeSync.

- Click on the 'Upload and Link to Ancestry...' button on the 'Plan' screen. The 'Upload to Ancestry' pop-up then appears.

- If I leave the 'Upload without linking' unchecked then all characters show up fine in the resulting tree on Ancestry.

- If I however check 'Upload without linking' (screenshot) then all foreign characters show up as '?' in the Ancestry tree. It doesn't seem to matter which other checkboxes are checked/unchecked, the characters always get mangled. It seems this is out of the user's control.

The fix however is to export the tree to a GEDCOM 5.5 file (File->Export->Output format=GEDCOM 5.5), stick with the default settings Destination="FTM 16" and Character set="ANSI"). Then upload the resulting file from the Ancestry site (Family Trees->Upload a GEDCOM). Slightly more cumbersome but FTM now does what I want it to do and displays all foreign characters properly on the Ancestry site.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
yetanotherexp... 1370810300000 
BurgessDonnel... 1370818593000 
yetanotherexp... 1370849203000 
BurgessDonnel... 1370869950000 
yetanotherexp... 1370933778000 
kj_norway 1370952465000 
yetanotherexp... 1370955177000 
yetanotherexp... 1371020326000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic