I've been using FTM for a long time now, and this is the first time I've ever had this happen. I've seen some customer service threads about this topic, but none of the suggestions worked so I thought I'd try here.
So I've used FTM 2012 without issue. My system is Windows 7 with a constantly connected cable Internet connection. I didn't use the program for about 3 months due to my ancestry.com subscription expiring and just getting too busy to renew it. I finally renewed it yesterday and everything was good to go with the subscription. When I opened FTM, however, it immediately told me it couldn't connect to the Internet to link and sync my tree. Multiple attempts accomplished nothing. I clicked on "register family tree maker" under the "help" menu just as a test and this also told me there was no Internet connect. It goes without saying that my Internet connection is working just fine. Here's a few other things I tried based on other threads I've read -
- Checked to confirm the online status under the "file" menu. It was online. Even turned it on and off a few times to see if it helped. It didn't.
- Opened my web browser and then opened FTM. Program still said no Internet connection.
- Closed down all firewalls. Shouldn't matter as I had firewalls running when I used the program previously. In any case, it didn't work.
- Checked to make sure system time and date were correct. They are.
- Make sure "proxy" settings are not turned on in IE. They weren't.
I've also made sure Windows was updated and restarted the computer a couple of times. Still no luck. At least my tree is still there and I can always do stuff online, but I prefer my program. It also drives me crazy that I can't get any hints or search from the program because it thinks there's no Internet connection. Any ideas our there I haven't tried?