Thanks for the ideas barbarajfn. I had not stopped the sync at that point, but allowed it to continue. It completed “successfully”, but didn’t make any changes. I had already tried making one minor change to an individual. If I made the change in the online file, it changed my FTM file. But, when I make a change in the FTM file, it doesn’t change the online file.
After more research, I believe my file is corrupt, and it occurred when I was using the “Resolve Place Names” tool. While I was doing that, FTM crashed a couple of times. Some of the info I’ve found indicates that when FTM is closed improperly it can corrupt the data file. Compacting was suggested, but that didn’t work for me. Before one starts the process it recommends a backup, which I did. Unfortunately, each time it crashed, and I restarted Resolve Place Names, it suggested another backup, which I did, and it overwrote the first backup.
I think my only option at this point is to unlink the trees, and relink to the online tree. I will have to go through Resolve Place Names and Spell Check all over again. But, this time I will manually create backups that I can name differently.
Burgess, that may work for you as well. If you want to look at the info, you can find it here:http://ancestry.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5375/~/...http://ftm.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5390/related...
I’ll keep you updated about how it works for me.