I’ve been correcting the current tree, and merging people where appropriate. And I’ll also do as you suggest and take more backup copies of the tree to keep in different places, e.g. on CD and on a USB stick. The problem really stemmed from the fact that my old computer became unusable and unrepairable – that’ll teach me to build computers :) So I had to start over with a completely new computer.
Yes, it’s a shame I didn’t keep that original tree, but I didn’t know that I was going to encounter the problems I’ve had. I also didn’t know that I was going to get an extra tree when I had to download from Ancestry to FTM and then check it was all synched and uploaded back to Ancestry. Stupidly I thought that as I downloaded my tree from Ancestry, which then went by the same name on FTM, that name would continue to be the same when I uploaded it back to Ancestry! I do keep synching whenever I make any change, and I then check on both trees.
Many thanks for all your help and suggestions.