I ran into this problem yesterday. I'm a beginner at all this, so naturally I thought I was doing something wrong on my end, causing contamination of the JPEG files I was trying to upload. But based on previous messages posted to this board a while back on this subject, I concluded that I was not doing anything wrong. Rather than troubleshoot, I decided to delete the media files from FTM that the program was choking on. I instead posted the media directly to the Ancestry.com web site. When I synched the tree, the media were transferred to FTM and the online media remained intact, even though I am still getting FTM process error messages. So far so good, even though this method defeats some of the purpose of buying a stand-alone FTM program.