Search for content in message boards

1910 Gyula Szlobdnik (Forgach), Hungarian, Occupation: "Clerk"

Replies: 3

1910 Gyula Szlobdnik (Forgach), Hungarian, Occupation: "Clerk"

Posted: 1541432335000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Szlobodnik, Forgach, Tartler, Somogyi
On the 1910 passenger manifest, my g-grandfather, Gyula Szlobodnik (AKA Julius Forgach) listed his occupation as "Clerk." He was from Szirak, Nograd, Hungary and arrived in Baltimore 7 May 1910 aboard the ship Cassel from Bremen Germany. I'm curious as to what type of occupation a "Clerk" in Hungary was in 1910. Would an occupation of this type have any social status connection to it? At first I thought it sounded like it could be a Jewish occupation, but since we have no Jewish DNA, and he claimed to be a Lutheran, it is doubtful there is a Jewish connection.

We had always thought Julius was a "Forgach", but I hired a ProGenealogist several years back who discovered he was in fact a "Szlobodnik." On the same ship's manifest mentioned above, he lists his mother as Szusa Szlobodnik. I have no idea whether he was the illegitimate son of a Forgach, or if he just liked the name and chose to use it here in the US? I am hoping that knowing a little more about what types of people became "Clerks" (i.e., education, social status, etc.) I might learn more about his background which may hopefully help me find out who he and his family were in Hungary. I have no other leads as to who he was in Hungary so I'm hoping knowing about his occupation will help in some way.

As far as I know, he came to the US alone, but had a relatives, Alexander Tartler, who later became Professor of Mathematics at Drexel University, and an Aunt, Agnes Somogyi. I cannot find any Szusa/Szuszuanna/Susanna Szlobodniks with a son named Gyula. I have no other leads as to who he was in Hungary so I'm hoping knowing about his occupation will help in some way.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jen0513 1541432335000 
ZlaticaBeca 1541737143000 
ZlaticaBeca 1546787557000 
LOVESeGENEe 1557797430000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic