Search for content in message boards

Loyal Hanna #6 & 7, Cairnbrook, PA

Replies: 15

Loyal Hanna #6 & 7, Cairnbrook, PA

Posted: 1043028216000
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 1130633142000
Surnames: McGregor
Here is an excerpt from a govt. publication of historic engineering & industrial sites.

Loyal Hanna Coal and Coke Company: Loyal Hanna No. 6 and No. 7 and Cairnbrook (Company Town),
Intersection of Windber Avenue and McGregor Avenue
Construction date: 1912
Location: Shade Township (Somerset County, PA)

On the east side of Cairnbrook is the mine site. A large motor/repair barn with mine car tracks inside, an adjacent supply house, and a substation to the east are all tall, one-story ashlar stone buildings with brick cornices and slightly arched brick lintels and slightly-pitched gable roofs. Located along a former spur from the South Fork Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad is a two-story gabled-roof brick mule barn. Also extant is a lime shanty, oil shanty, and water pumphouse. There is no lamphouse. Carbide lights were always used at this facility.

HISTORY: The company town of Cairnbrook was laid out and built by the Loyal Hanna Coal and Coke Company of Philadelphia in 1912 on part of the Jacob McGregor farm. A post office was established in the town two years later. To the west of the company store, once served by a spur from the South Fork Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad, stood a company recreation hall, movie theater and fire hall. Mine buildings no longer extant at the Loyal Hanna No. 6 site include a filtration plant with an artesian well, a heating plant, a boiler house, an oil house, a sand house, a tipple and an office. Loyal Hanna No. 7, placed in operation a few years after No. 6 was located just southwest of Cairnbrook. In 1920 Loyal Hanna Nos. 6 (a drift mine in the Lower Kittaning seam) and 7 (a drift mine in the Upper Kittaning seam) produced about 111,000 tons of coal and employed 185 workers. A peak year of production was 1940 when the mines produced about 390,000 tons of coal and employed 384 workers. Only Loyal Hanna No. 6 was in operaton by 1950, producing about 229,000 tons of coal and employing 230 workers. By 1958 mining had ceased. Cassler Lumber Company took over the mine buildings and constructed several others. Although Cairnbrook is not incorporated it owns and operates (under the Cairnbrook Improvement Company) its own water company, sewer system and disposal plant.

SOURCE: Somerset County, Pennsylvania – An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites,
Published by: Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record, America’s Industrial Heritage Project, by the National Park Service, U S Dept. of the Interior, Washington, DC, 1994
(pgs. 71 – 73)

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ronda_Crone 1043028216000 
deabad 1270843077000 
Dcrone6401 1270844688000 
deabad 1270854086000 
shepard999 1270902806000 
deabad 1270923165000 
maaroan 1356113564000 
maaroan 1356113867000 
shepard999 1356114556000 
deabad 1356126510000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic