Search for content in message boards

July 10, 1863

This board is read-only and closed to new posts.
Replies: 0

July 10, 1863

Anon (View posts)
Posted: 917352000000
Classification: Query
Edited: 993311417000

Fri Jul 10 1863: General Hunter and staff arrived at New York on Wednesday, from Port Royal. This seems to confirm the report that he has been superseded by Gen. Gilmore.

Fri Jul 10 1863: Gen. Tyler, of this State, has been relieved of his command at Harper's Ferry, and is now in charge of the fortifications of Baltimore. Gen. French, on taking command at Maryland Heights, highly complimented Gen. Tyler on the state of the defenses, many additions to which of a formidable character had been made, during Gen. Tyler's brief command.

Fri Jul 10 1863: Hawley Hunt, of Windsor, was killed at Meriden, last week Thursday. He was employed as brakeman on the freight train, and fell between the cars at Meriden. The wheels crushed his head, killing him instantly.

Fri Jul 10 1863: Lines Parmlee of Litchfield, killed in his dooryard, one day last week, a large black snake, which measured seven feet in length.

Fri Jul 10 1863: The 22d Regiment, Col. George S. Burnham, arrived home, in Hartford, Monday noon, in good condition and full ranks, and were enthusiastically received by a multitude of people.

Fri Jul 10 1863: While unharnessing a young horse, on Saturday, Mr. William Potter, of South Killingly, was kicked by the animal in the lower part of the abdomen. He passed into the house, but was immediately seized with violent pain, and survived only twenty-four hours. Mr. P. was 42 years of age, and leaves two motherless children. – Transcript.

Fri Jul 10 1863: Sergeant George Forry, of Co. B, from North Woodstock, destroyed the staff that held the State colors of the 18th, and folded the precious flag about his person, and escaped. Well done, brave soldier!

Fri Jul 10 1863: The enrollment for this district – comprising Windham and New London counties – has been completed. It has been a work of great labor, and at times requiring great patience and good nature. The provost marshal, announces that there are enrolled between twelve and thirteen thousand. In the first class, which embraces all persons between 20 and 35, and the unmarried between 35 and 45, there are 7,957.

Fri Jul 10 1863: Gen. John F. Reynolds, who received his mortal wound at Gettysburg on Wednesday, was one of our ablest officers. He was a native of Pennsylvania, and graduated at West Point and entered the service in 1841. He served with honor in Mexico and on the Pacific coast. He was Lieutenant Colonel of the 14th Regular Infantry, and Major General of Volunteers. He was commander of the First Army Corps when he fell.

Fri Jul 10 1863: The Late Rebel Raid in Portland Harbor.--On Friday night last, the captain of the Revenue cutter Caleb Cushing, which lay in Portland harbor sickened and died. The Cutter was well provided with ammunition and was about to proceed to sea. During the night, two boat loads of men, disguised as fishermen boarded the cutter and took forcible possession of her, putting the officers in irons, and immediately proceeded to sea. This movement, taken in connection with the well known fact that the cutter's new commander had not arrived and taken command; excited suspicion, and the Mayor of the city, Collector of the port, and the military commandant at Fort Preble, immediately armed and fitted out the steamer Forest City and Chesapeake, and in less than two hours, manned with U.S. soldiers and volunteers, were in hot pursuit.

About ten miles out, the steamers came up with the object of their chase, when a cannonading took place. On the steamers moving with a viewing of running the cutter down, the pirates deserted her, and setting fire to her magazine, blew her up. The boats were captured and proved to contain the crew of the rebel pirate Taconey, together with her commander and engineer. The log book captured, showed that the Taconey had been burnt and the crew and Archer which lay in the harbor, and which was all captured.

Fri Jul 10 1863: Sketch of General Meade.--George G. Meade, who has been appointed to the command of the Army of the Potomac in place of Gen. Hooker, was born in Spain in 1816, entered the Military Academy at West Point from the district of Columbia, and was graduated there in 1829, and appointed second lieutenant in the Third Artillery. He resigned his commission for a few years and then he re-entered the service, and received the appointment of second lieutenant in the topographical engineers, May 19, 1842. He was breveted first lieutenant for gallantry in Monterey in 1846, became 1st lieutenant in August, 1851, and was made captain May 19, 1856. On the 31st of August, 1861, he was commissioned brigadier-general of volunteers, and received the commission of major in the regular army in June, 1862. He commanded a brigade in McCall's division of Pennsylvania reserves in the Army of the Potomac until September, 1862, when he too command of a division in the army corps under Gen. Reynolds. He was severely wounded in the battle of White Oak Swamp, June 30, 1862. On the 27th of December he superseded Gen. Butterfield in the command of the 5th army corps.

Fri Jul 10 1863: Gen. Meade, the new leader of the Army of the Potomac, is the grandson of George Meade, of Philadelphia, an eminent Irish-American merchant, whose firm (Meade & Fitzsimmons) contributed in 1781, $10,000 to a fund for the relief of the famishing army of George Washington.

Fri Jul 10 1863: The Richmond papers in giving an account of the capture of Winchester, say they captured four thousand seven hundred men, one hundred and nine officers, thirty cannons, two hundred and fifty wagons, four hundred horses, twenty ambulances and all the public and private baggage, 'sutlers' goods, &c. They ridicule Milroy most unmercifully.

Fri Jul 10 1863: The President's wife and youngest son have commenced a tour to the Eastern States, and will visit Newport.

Fri Jul 10 1863: Losses in Connecticut Regiments.—Several Connecticut Regiments were in the fight at Gettysburg. The Tribune says that the 17th Connecticut went in with 17 officers and 369 men, and came out with 10 officers and 21 men. The greater portion of that lost were probably captured.

Lt. Col. H.C. Merwin, a brave officer, of the 27th Conn, was killed. Capt. J.R. Bradley of the 27th, was wounded.

The 14th Connecticut was in the fight and suffered considerably. In the battle of Friday it captured four rebel colors.

The Norwich Bulletin publishes a list of killed and wounded in the 26th regiment before Port Hudson. In the battle of June 13, one was killed and seven wounded.

A dispatch received, in Norwich Monday evening, states that Lieutenant S.T.C. Merwin, Co. C, and Lieut. S.P. Rockwell, Co. G, Eighteenth regiment are in the Libby Prison, Richmond, unhurt.

Fri Jul 10 1863: The Fourth. The Fourth, so far as this place and vicinity were concerned, pass off quietly and pleasantly. Great numbers, from the superior attractions in the way of preparation for a joyful time in Hartford went to there to jubilate and from accounts in the Hartford papers, if they didn't have a "big time," it wasn't the fault of the citizens of that place. In this village the day was not entirely ignored. Through the night before some elderly people on Main street had their dreams mixed up some what with the exploding of crackers and other powder burning toys by the boys in the streets. The bells rang a joyful peal at sunrise, after which more crackers were fired. The Spiritualists jubilated at Bassett's Hall, at which place a Festival was held, which was a very pleasant affair, abundance of strawberries, ice cream and other refreshments were provided, and liberally patronized by those present. The festivities wound up with a dance in the evening.

A very pleasant little party held a clam bake in the grove north of the Methodist church. Clam chowder suffered and quahaugs went the way of all things edible, to a violin and melodeon accompaniment. The news of the Union victory in Pennsylvania added not a little to the enjoyment of the festivities of the day.

Fri Jul 10 1863: From the 18th Regimentj—Capt. Bowen Alive. – Mr. Courtland Babcock of this place has received a letter from his son Courtland in the 18th, dated at Winchester, Va., two days after the battle, which states that Capt. Bowen is wounded and in the hospital, and that he, Sanford Cummings, and Albert Wilson, were there in charge of the wounded. The Bulletin of Wednesday morning has further information from the Eighteenth. It says:

A letter has been received from Corporal Geo. E. Comins of Co. C. dated Winchester June 24. It states that at that date Lieut. Merwin and private B.M. Upham, of Co C, were there, wounded: also, Capt. Bowen, of Co. H, and Capt. Bates, of Co. B Comins, together with Corp. S.A. Cumings, of Co. H had been left there as nurses.

From a dispatch received on Tuesday evening from Mr. C.L. Dunlap, of Baltimore, we learn that the number of officers and men of the 18th taken to Richmond was four hundred and sixty nine, including ninety-one wounded. Sixty were killed. Full lists are obtained, and will soon be forwarded.

We rejoice to hear that Capt. Bowen is living and hopes he will recover. We shall soon hear from all the rest of our boys.
From a letter of Corporal Sanford A. Comins, of Willimantic, to his wife, dated Winchester, June 17, we obtain the following interesting particulars, respecting Capt. Bowen's company:

Capt. Bowen was wounded in the breast. The following are wounded, but none of them very badly: George Bliven, Windham; George Wilber, Coventry; Wm. Caruthers, Norwich.

The following, he says, are dead: Dennis Sullivan, Willimantic; Frank Harrington, Coventry; Earl Ashley, Chaplin; Anson Fenton, Chaplin; Alfred Tracy, Tolland, died June 17.

Lieutenants Loomis and Locke prisoners and started for Richmond. George Comins, John Barrows, Boyden, Bull, and others, he says, are well, but gives no further particulars. He is in the hospital taking care of the wounded and says their captors treat them well. They expected to be paroled soon. He says he brought his Captain off the field, and shall stay with him as long as he can.

Fri Jul 10 1863: White House, Va. July 1, 1863. Camp 21st Reg't C.V.

Mr. Weaver,--Dear Sir, I forward you the following:

The numbers of Co. D, 21st Regiment have recently presented to their 1st Lieut. F.S. Long, an elegant sword, sash and belt. Lieut. Long has endeared himself to his company by many acts of kindness since he became their Lieutenant. He has ever proved himself a faithful officer and tried friend. Among his men he ever asserted proper authority, and at the same time has done it in such a manner that his men have felt that he sought their best good. The presentation and the words spoken on the occasion were brief, but to the point, expressing in simple terms the feeling's of both parties. A member of the company presented the sword with the following remarks in behalf of the company:

"Upon me has been conferred the honor on this occasion, in behalf of Co. D, of presenting to you, our first Lieutenant, this token of our respect towards you. You enlisted with us, and since then have scarcely failed for a day to be with us. The many trials and hardships through which we have been called to pass have only tended to draw tighter the chords of friendship that unite us. In all our trials you have been a friend to sympathize with and assist us, as far as it was in your power. We have been prompted to this act by your sympathizing deeds of the past, and not for any special favor in the future. Its value is not great, but we ask you to accept it as a true token of our appreciation of your many kindnesses towards us. With it we give our earnest wishes for your future prosperity, entertaining at the same time strong hopes that ere long the sword and all other implements of war will be prized only as momentos of the stormy past and that we shall soon all of us mingle together in the avocations of peace. Therefore in behalf of the members of this company I present you this sword."

Lieut. Long responded in the following manner:

"In receiving this renewed token of your trust and confidence in me, I am unable to do my feelings justice by words. I hope in the future I may give you no cause to regret the generosity you have here exhibited to one so unworthy as myself. What I have done to merit this and gain your good will I cannot tell. We have together endured the hardships and trials of a few short months of field life, and if during that time I have by word or deed done anything to encourage any one in the discharge of their duties under difficulties, or have made a hard lot easier to be borne, it was only a part of my duty. Accept my heartfelt thanks and rest assured that this valuable present is appreciated and reciprocated."

The sword, sash and belt are valued at $50.

A member of Co. D.

The article presented to Lieut. Long have been sent home and may be seen at the store of James Walden.

Fri Jul 10 1863: There was a union "Picnic" of Sabbath Schools at Windham, July 3, in the beautiful grove of Samuel Bingham. Three schools were present: Windham, North Windham and South Windham. Interesting remarks were made by Rev. Mr. Drennan, Rev. Mr. Burlingame, of North Windham, Rev. Dr. Post, and Rev. E.D. Bentley, of Willimantic.

Fri Jul 10 1863: Samuel F. Barrows, a member of Co. G., 25th C.V., and only son of Marcus and Maria Barrows of Gurleyville (Mansfield), died May 30, in the Marine Hospital, New Orleans, of typhoid fever. He was a young man of excellent character, beloved by his comrades, and his loss will be severely felt.

Fri Jul 10 1863: The War. Great Victory! Lee Utterly Defeated! Immense Rebel Slaughter! Thousands of Rebel Prisoners! Lee Skedaddling for Dixie! The Potomac Bothers him and Meade Gives him Trouble. The Campaign in Pennsylvania--The March of the Army--The First Shock Near Gettysburg--Death of Gen. Reynolds--The Subsequent Battles--Victory.

We condense from the N.Y. Tribune the following graphic account, from its correspondent on the battle-field, of the brief but glorious campaign of the Potomac Army in Pennsylvania, under its new able and successful commander, Gen. George G. Meade:

The army was encamped about Frederick, Maryland. The main portion was ordered to move into Pennsylvania through Emmettsburg, where the First, Third, and Eleventh Corps encamped Tuesday. The Sixth was ordered to Carlisle. The Second and Twelfth were also near Emmettsburg. Early on Wednesday morning the First Corps, commanded by Major General Reynolds, and the Eleventh, commanded by Major General Howard, were ordered to Gettysburg, where it was reported the enemy had taken position.

The detachment was commanded by General Reynolds.

The troops were pushed forward rapidly, and arrived at Gettysburg, on the Baltimore pike, at half-past ten o'clock in the forenoon.

Battle of Wednesday.

The First Corps was in the advance. The enemy's outposts were encountered in a wood west of the town, near the Seminary. Gen. Wadsworth, who commanded the 1st division, immediately engaged the enemy in his front and fought him for the wood.

Gen. Reynolds rode forward to inspect the ground and select a position for his line of battle. The enemy distinguishing him as well from his soldierly bearing as from his uniform to be an officer of high rank, opened upon him with heavy volleys of infantry fire. He was struck by several balls and died instantly without uttering a word.

This gallant officer, well and favorably known to the army and the country, never fought battles through orderlies and aids, but always in person. He fell fighting nobly for his country. Still more, he died in the defense of his native State. No treason-breeding soil drank up his blood, but all of him that is mortal lies buried in the bosom of his own native State.
Major-Gen. Doubleday succeeded to the command of the First Corps, and vigorously continued the operations commenced by Reynolds, Wadsworth, being already engaged near the Seminary west of the town. Robinson's Division formed on the right and Doubleday's Division on the left of Wadsworth, and the whole line advanced through the woods, driving back the enemy. Soon, however, solid masses of rebel troops were seen coming up and taking position on the right and left flanks, and it was evident that hot work was on hand.

Gen. Doubleday so distributed his forces as to hold a neck of woods on an eminence which was the key to the position. He continued with desperate fighting to hold his ground until the Eleventh Corps arrived and came to his relief. Maj. Gen. Howard then assumed command of the forces. One brigade from Steinwehr's division was sent into the town to hold it. Gen. Howard, seeing the vital importance of seizing upon and holding the commanding positions, directed Gen. Steinwehr to take his remaining brigade and the reserve artillery, place it on the Cemetery hill and to defend the heights.

The divisions commanded Schurz and Barlow were sent up to the immediate support of the First Corps. The troops were led forward with the memory of Chancellorsville before them, and with a determination to retrieve their lost honor. The two divisions moved through the town and took a position on the right of the First Corps, and fought desperately against Ewell's corps, which outnumbered them three to one. The first and second charges were stoutly resisted by the Eleventh Corps on the right, but on came a third charge with four regular lines far overlapping the little force on both flanks. The men still undaunted fought until both flanks were turned nearly half a mile.

The force now opposed to a 1st and 11th comprised the corps of A.P. Hill and Ewell, numbering over 60,000 men. Yet against this fearful odds the gallant band fought for hours; inflicting great slaughter on the enemy.

Reynolds and Zook were dead, and Paul and Barlow wounded. Many field and line officers had been lost and nearly half the men before the order was given to retire to the heights held by Steinwehr.

Gen. Howard had carefully examined the topography of the surrounding country. We knew that a very strong force of the enemy lay in the valley; he felt, therefore, that the holding of Cemetery Hill, which commanded the whole surrounding country, was of the most vital importance. Accordingly he took the responsibility of falling back south-east of the town to the commanding heights on both sides of the Baltimore pike.

The troops retired in the face of an overwhelming foe with a commendable steadiness.

Gen. Slocum with the 12th, and Sickles with the 3d Corps, came up and took position to the right and left of Howard, on the hills.

During the battle in the afternoon, when his troops were outnumbered and sorely pressed, Gen. Howard sent to Slocum, who was within five miles, to come to his relief. Mean time, however, he moved up his corps to be ready to aid in defense of the heights if necessary.

Gen. Sickles on receiving Howard's request, at once moved up rapidly, but owing to the great distance he was in the rear his corps did not arrive until the second position had been taken.

The enemy was not disposed to attempt the carrying of the heights and here the battle ended.

Two advantages were gained. The enemy was obliged to exhibit its strength and to commit himself to a position and the commanding positions were seized and held by the National troops.

During the night Gen. Mead and staff came up to the front. The Commanding General carefully examined the surrounding country, and after considering the locations and positions in all their strategical and tactical bearing he approved of the position taken by Gen. Howard, and so disposed his forces on the several hills or ground tops and ridges, as to construct a battle-line in the form of a crescent, with the center to the southward from the cemetery.

The hills present outcrops of sandstone rocks in ledges having a dip of from 20 to 90 degrees; these ledges in many cases are full 20 feet high, and afford admiral shelter for troops. The slope of the hills at places is moderate and regular, in some instances abrupt, and even sometimes present vertical rocky faces.

The enemy was in a valley or on hills at a distance too great to be of use for shelter. The roads on which the enemy would desire to march were commanded by Mead's guns, and hence Lee must fight with the hills against him. For once, then, in the history of the Army of the Potomac, the enemy has been compelled to give battle at a disadvantage.

On Wednesday night all the troops but the Sixth Corps, commanded by General Sedgwick, arrived on the field.

Gen. Mead did not fight his army by corps. As the battle raged more fiercely here or there detachments of divisions or brigades were sent to support, and would remain till wanted elsewhere.

All the heights, and every advantageous position along the entire line where artillery could be massed or battery planted, frowned down on the enemy through brows of brass and iron.

There was no conceivable advance of approach that could not be raked and crossed with the artillery. The reserve artillery and all the essentials to insure victory were in position at the right time. The immense cavalry force, too, for once, was present, covering both flanks of the army and continually harassing the enemy. This was a new and an encouraging feature that gave confidence to the men and security to the trains.

Battle of Thursday.

Early on Thursday morning the enemy commenced feeling the lines of Gen. Mead's army. Skirmishing continued more or less severe until 5 o'clock in the afternoon. Suddenly, at about this hour, the enemy opened a terrific fire on the Cemetery Hill held by the 11th Corps on the right--center held by the 2d Corps. The artillery in front of the enemy's fire replied vigorously, and for two hours the roar and thunder and flame and smoke of artillery, and the screech of shells, so completely filled the heavens that all else seemed forgotten.

One form, however, with mind intent on high purposes, stood on an eminence leaning slightly forward, and with eagle eye pierced the vail of smoke, and saw and felt and knew that an hour more terrible by far than the present was coming rapidly--was even present. It was evident the wily commander of the Rebel forces had determined on some desperate charge, but when and in what manner it would be made was unknown to the man who stood calmly yet with deep solicitude regarding every pulsation of the battle.

On the left through the woods, black masses were seen moving--larger, more frequent and nearer! Skirmishing in that part of the field becomes sharper. Gen. Sickles is ordered forward to develop the enemy's intentions. The black columns come out of the wood and suddenly the thunder of artillery ceased, and, with cheers and yells, the roar of musketry and flash of bayonet, full 50,000 men from Longstreet's and Hill's corps, came rushing against our lines. The Third Corps stood firm for a while, but afterward gave way beneath the weight of the attacking column; and on they came ten-fold more furious than before.

Sickles fell severely wounded in the leg, and his corps was literally cut to pieces. The Second Corps was thrown in the breach from the right and the Fifth from the left. The Second suffered fearfully. Hancock received a painful flesh wound in the thigh, but refused to be led from the field while the engagement continued. Here, too, Gen. Gibbon was wounded in the shoulder. The terrible charge and fierce battle raged with unabated fury. The Fifth Corps, including the Regulars and the Pennsylvania Reserves, struggled in the herculean labor with the determination of men born to conquer in battle.

The aid of the 12th Corps, from the extreme right, was called for, and a division was ordered up, and about the same time Sedgwick came up with the 6th Corps, after a march of 36 consecutive hours. The men were footsore, many without shoes on their feet, hungry and weary, ready to drop on the road from exhaustion. When, however, the situation flashed into the minds of these weary soldiers, the fire and zeal for which this Corps is so justly celebrated, was kindled anew in their hearts. They awaited but the order, and that impatiently to be led against the enemy. The order was given, and, like men fresh from camp, they went down upon the haughty foe like an avalanche. The Rebel column staggered and reeled, and then fell back in confusion, leaving their dead lying against and across each other in this field of slaughter.

The sun went down. Suddenly as the western hills eclipsed his rays the battle carnage ceased on the left.

Equally sudden, a fierce charge dashed against the weakened lines of the right wing. The suddenness of the attack and the weight of Ewell's column gave some advantage to the enemy. Reenforcements, however, were promptly up and the enemy checked in his advance.

The Rebel general was determined to break through the right and gain central of the valley roads. The failure to turn the left; and the snatching the victory from their clutches, hurling their broken columns back defeated and confused on the left, made their case more desperate, and the attack on Slocum was furious even to madness. The 1st and 6th Corps came up promptly to the support of the 12th Corps. From dark until 9 1-2 o'clock the battle raged with unabated fury. The lines moved to and fro, each in turn advancing and falling back. At this hour of the night the enemy made his final charge on the left of the right wing, held by Gen. Geary's division. He was repulsed with terrible slaughter, and refused to renew the attack. At 10 o'clock the battle ceased, and during the night all was quiet.

Ewell had been largely re-enforced and held a position of some advantage. Gen. Mead determined that he should be dislodged form the place, and as a matter of personal honor, assigned the task to Gen. Slocum, who had previously occupied the same position, but was compelled to abandon it because of re-enforcements sent to the support of the left wing, overwhelmed by Longstreet's and A.P. Hill's Divisions.

Gen. Slocum accordingly made preparations for the work assigned. His own Corps was in strong position and determined to regain the ground lost the night before.

Battle of Friday.

On Friday morning, at 4 o'clock, Slocum's line opened a terrible fire on Ewell's men. The enemy responded in a most furious charge, for which mode of fighting they are justly celebrated. The fighting on Thursday on the left, where Longstreet and Hill fought with most terrible desperation for three hours, and the subsequent battle on the right by Ewell, were regarded by the oldest officers in the army as the most obstinate and deadly contest of the war. Officers and men lay dead in fearful numbers. But the enemy's charge in response to Slocum's fire seemed ten times more furious.

With fiendish yell and such contempt of death during six full hours, they hurled their solid masses against the well defended lines. The National troops stood like a wall of fire, whole flaming tongues enwrapped in death whatever came, near whose foundation were firm as if one with the primal rock on which it rested.

Nothing during the war has equaled this six hours of carnage. In front of Grang's position were more rebel dead than the number of the entire list of casualties in the 12th corps. The dead were lying literally in heaps, many hit in all manner of degrees, from a clean shot through the head to bodies torn to pieces by exploding shells.
At 10 o'clock Slocum had repulsed and driven back the enemy at every point, and re-occupied his original position. The battle ceased at 11 o'clock, and there was a pause like to the stillness of death rested for three hours on the living and dead.

At 2 o'clock on Friday afternoon Lee opened a line of artillery fire from about one hundred guns, concentrated against Cemetery Hill and the position along the center held by the Second and a part of the First Corps.

The firing was responded to by all the batteries on the hill, and then ensued three hours of cannonading unsurpassed in incessant fierceness by any artillery battle on this continent. The sight and sound were awfully sublime. The hills trembled beneath the percussion. The sound filled the heavens, and Nature, as it were, stood still to contemplate the scene.

Horses were shot down by scores, gun-carriages were demolished, pieces dismounted, caissons exploded, whole batteries were swept away, and cannoniers and officers killed and wounded in numbers almost incredible. No less than fifteen caissons were exploded on the [unreadable] and two regular batteries on the right of the cemetery were completely demolished.
The silent abode of the dead was made the theater of deadly conflict. Tombstones and beautiful monuments were demolished; great holes were torn in the earth by the explosion of shells, and the surface checkered with furrows.

The artillery fire continued till 4 o'clock when the solid columns of Rebel infantry were again seen moving in the wood in front of the center, held by the 1st and 2d corps.
During the fierce cannonading the men and officers were ordered to shelter themselves behind the hills and rocks. When, however, the rebel infantry were seen in the woods, several officers came to Gen. Doubleday, volunteering to carry messages to Meade and ask that the center be strengthened.

Find a board about a specific topic