Search for content in message boards

July 3, 1863

This board is read-only and closed to new posts.
Replies: 0

July 3, 1863

Anon (View posts)
Posted: 917352000000
Classification: Query
Edited: 993311417000
Fri Jul 3 1863: Hall's Journal of Health gives the following advice:

If the body is tired, rest; if the brain is tired, sleep; if the bowels are loose, lie down in a warm bed and remain there, and remain there and eat nothing until you are well.

If an action of the bowels does not occur at the usual hour, eat not an atom until they do act, at least for thirty-six hours; meanwhile drink largely of cold water or hot teas, and exercise in the open air to the extent of a general perspiration, and keep this up till things are righted; this one suggestion, if practiced, would save myriads of lives every year, both in the city and country. The best medicines in the world are warmth, abstinence and repose.

Fri Jul 3 1863: A dear little girl of four years was saying her prayers not long since, when her brother, three years older came slyly behind, and pulled her hair. Without moving her head she paused and said; "Please, Lord, excuse me a minute while I kick Freddy." We have known older persons to excuse themselves from praying, to "kick" somebody.

Fri Jul 3 1863: Rhubarb or Pie Plant, as cooks know, requires a world of sugar to tone down its extreme acidity. A good woman of Pittsfield gives the following rule: "Throw in sugar as long as your conscience will let you; then shut your eyes and throw in a handful more."

Fri Jul 3 1863: The Chattanooga Rebel of a late date says that Sam Houston threatens to take up arms against the Confederacy unless he is treated more civilly.

Fri Jul 3 1863: Death of Admiral Foote.

One of the noblest and best of our public men has fallen. Rear Admiral Foote died last Friday, the 26th ult., at the Astor House, New York, after a brief illness of the "Bright" kidney disease, aged nearly 57.

Andrew Hull Foote was born at New Haven, Conn., Sept 12, 1806, and was a son of Samuel A. Foote, who was Governor of Connecticut and Senator of the United States. His mother was Eudocia Hull, daughter of Gen. Andrew Hull, of Cheshire. He entered the Navy as midshipman in 1822. In 1836 he was Lieutenant of the Mediterranean squadron, and in 1852 became a Commander. In 1856 he was in China, during the war between that country and England. The Chinese having fired on him, he bombarded and captured their forts. He was at one time stationed on the coast of Africa, and did what he could to break up the infamous slave trade. He published an interesting book on the subject.

At the commencement of the Rebellion he was in command of the Brooklyn Navy Yard. He was transferred to St. Louis, where his energy created a flotilla of gunboats, with which he captured Fort Henry, and rendered important service at Donelson and Island No. 10. At Fort Donelson he was severely wounded in the foot, from which he had but recently recovered. Being disabled from active service, he was appointed Chief of the Bureau of Equipment, at Washington. He was recently ordered to relieve Admiral Dupont, and had started for Port Royal, when he was seized with this last fatal illness.

He was an able, brave and faithful officer, a pure-minded, Christian man, whose heart and hand were in every good work. Connecticut may well be proud of such a noble specimen of a man as was Admiral Foote.
He was twice married; first to Miss Caroline, daughter of Bethuel Flagg, Esq., of Cheshire, Connecticut, by whom he had two daughters. One of them--Mrs. Josephine Reeves--still survives. His second marriage was to Mrs. Caroline Augusta street, (his second cousin,) daughter of Augustus Russell Street, Esq., of New Haven, and of Caroline Mary Leffingwell Street, his wife, January, 1842. His widow, and their son, Augustus Russell Street, now aged sixteen, and two younger children, still survive.

His funeral was largely attended at New Haven, on Tuesday, from Dr. Bacon's Center Church, of which he was a member, and followed to the Grove Street Cemetery, by a long procession, including the Governor and staff and strangers of distinction, under an escort of military and marines.

Fri Jul 3 1863: The War. The Invasion.

The week has been an exciting one all over the country, but especially in Pennsylvania and Maryland. Gen. Lee crossed the Potomac with his whole army, estimated at 80,000 to 100,000 and pushed on columns up north almost to Harrisburg, west to [unreadable] and finally to York on the Central Railroad between Harrisburg and Baltimore. A detachment of rebels went to Columbia where a skirmish took place when our forces retreated and burned the splendid railroad bridge across the Susquehanna, 5000 feet long which cost $150,000. Meantime the Army of the Potomac crossed the Potomac and pushed though Maryland into Pennsylvania, threatening to get between Lee's main body and his advance columns, which compelled his evacuation of York, Hanover and Gettysburg, which our forces occupied, and also a retreat from the neighborhood of Harrisburg and Carlisle. A portion of Stuart's cavalry crossed the Potomac, captured a Union train of 150 wagons and 1000 mules and pushed on to join the army of Lee. Our cavalry under Gregg encountered a part of this force on Monday at Westminster, Md., when the rebels were driven 18 miles to Hanover with loss. Gen. Kilpatrick drove them out of Hanover and Gen. Buford drove a regiment of infantry out of Gettysburg. Our cavalry thus far did splendidly. On Wednesday a battle took place on the road from Gettysburg to Chambersburg, Penn., between Longstreet's corps and the First and the Eleventh corps under Gen. Reynold's and Beade. We have no particulars except that the fighting was severe and the loss heavy. Gen. Reynolds was killed. Our forces it is said successfully resisted the onset of the rebels, by which it appears that the latter were the attacking party.

Vicksburg and Port Hudson.

News from Vicksburg to the 26th ult. is still encouraging. The rebel report that Grant had been defeated is wholly false. A fort had been blown up and we had entered a part of it while the rebels held the other. There had been considerable fighting with a loss on our side of 300.

If there is a strong rebel force in the rear of Banks at Port Hudson, we fear he is in a critical position, for he cannot be so readily reinforced. Still we are willing to trust to the energy and good judgment of Gen. Banks and hope he will soon capture the place.


Gen. Rosecrans has moved to the vicinity of Tullahoma and a battle with Bragg is imminent. He had some skirmishing on the way in which he was successful.

On to Richmond.

Gen. Dix and Keyes are at White House some 20 miles from Richmond, which city Gen. Keyes hoped to enter yesterday. We do not expect Richmond will be captured right away, but Lee's communication with the capital is seriously threatened by this demonstration.

Fri Jul 3 1863: The Eighteenth.—We have learned nothing further in regard to the missing of the Eighteenth that were in Capt. Bowen's Company. The death of Capt. Bowen is confirmed.

Fri Jul 3 1863: From the 12th Connecticut. We had a moment's conversation with Mr. Anson Grover, of South Coventry, a member of Co. G, (Capt. Braley's), 12th C.V., who left Port Hudson on the 19th ult., to come home on a short furlough on account of the death of his wife. He was in both assaults on that stronghold, but escaped unhurt. He confirms the reports of severe loss of life in the late assault. In his opinion the prospects are not as favorable as we could wish. Still, the place is entirely invested, and our sharpshooters are within range of the rebel works. The 12th has been very fortunate in the small loss of men. No one from Willimantic was wounded in the recent assault, so far as he recollects, except Herbert Williams, son of Ralph Williams, Esq., of this place, who was severely wounded. None were killed. Capt. Braley, C.P. Evans, (now on detached duty,) Charles Weaver, and others from Willimantic were well.

Fri Jul 3 1863: Quails, the flying correspondent of the Boston Evening Express, (everybody knows who Quails is,) thus pays his respects to Willimantic and our own humble self:

"Turning our steps towards the interior of the State, from the city of Norwich, we made our first halt in Willimantic, a flourishing village, made famous by the sewing thread of the Willimantic Linen Company. There are six buildings devoted to the manufacture of this thread, and the article is now universally acknowledged to be every way superior to the famous English Coates thread, which until lately has driven all American manufacture from the market.

"Willimantic has a population of nearly four thousand, a neat, quiet hotel, kept by Mr. H. Pember, and a real live newspaper, the Journal, published by Weaver & Curtiss, and ably edited by W.L. Weaver, Esq."

He gives a very interesting account of his visit to the manufactories of Waterbury and other towns in western Connecticut, which we should be glad to print if we had room.

Fri Jul 3 1863: The preparations for the Fourth, to-morrow, are to be such that our citizens generally can find some agreeable method of "celebrating" without going away, if they prefer the quiet of the village to the din and crowd of the occasion at Hartford. The Spiritualists are preparing for a festival at Bassett's Hall, where they will have a tempting array of good things at a trifling cost, with music, toasts, and a dance in the evening. There is to be, also, a select family gathering in the grove a little north of Atwood's sash and blind factory, for the purpose of enjoying a "clam bake" and other good things that will we doubt not be heartily enjoyed by those who join. There are, we presume, various other projects, of a more or less private nature, for making agreeable the National anniversary.

Fri Jul 3 1863: Progress. – The new dam has been commenced, and the abutment off the south bank of the river is well up. The grist mill, (formerly the paper mill) and the saw mill, have entirely disappeared, as has also the old house in the fork of the roads at the foot of Bingham hill, one of the oldest houses in the village, if not the oldest, as some suppose. The company have also begun the new road, which is to be a fine graded one.

Fri Jul 3 1863: Accident.—As the wife of Horace Hall, Esq., of this village was going down her cellar stairs last Saturday, she stumbled over a stick of wood on one of the steps, which she did not see, and fell down the stairs, breaking both bones of the left fore-arm; dislocating the wrist, and bruising her considerably especially about the head. Dr. Card, set the bones and we are glad to hear that she is comfortable.

Fri Jul 3 1863: Leonard P. Welden of Co. F, 18th Regiment, died on the retreat from Winchester to Bloody Run, Pa., probably from exhaustion, and was buried on the way. He was formerly a resident of Willimantic, but enlisted from Bozrah.

Fri Jul 3 1863: A Profitable Cow.--Dr. O.B. Griggs, of South Mansfield has a half blood Alderney cow, about six years old, which has netted him a clear profit of over $150 in the last two years. The following is the Doctor's calculation:

Cr. 500 lbs butter at 22 cents a lb. $110

" Milk 8

" Manure 20

" Calves $112


Gross income $250

Dr. Pasturing two summers $10

" 4 tons Hay 40

" Interest on money 6

" Meal 4

" Keeping calves 12

" Sundries 28


Expenses $100

Net Profit $150

The Doctor assures us this is an under estimate (the figures he gave us being in round numbers) and that he would not take $75 a year for the clear profits.

The cow cost him $100, and during the best of the season she will average 14 lbs of butter per week. That the butter is of the very best quality, as yellow as gold and as sweet as a rose we can give our unqualified affirmative testimony for the Doctor supplies us with it for the season.

From the above reliable statement, we consider it profitable to keep a good cow, and if any in this section can make a better show we should like to know it.

Fri Jul 3 1863: R.S. Murdock's woolen mill, in South Coventry, was burnt Saturday morning, together with a large share of stock. Loss quite heavy. The building was insured in the Hartford, Aetna and North American for $9000. The stock was insured for $12,000, in the Phoenix, Charter Oak and Western Massachusetts. Cause of the fire is not known. The stock was owned by . Kinsbury, of Hartford. This is the second time that Mr. Murdock has been burned out.

Fri Jul 3 1863: Death of Edwin R. Keyes.—We are pained to announce the death of this estimable man. We were formerly well acquainted with him, who was a social genial companion, a progressive and enthusiastic teacher, and a kind-hearted, christian gentleman. Green be the turf above him.

A correspondent of the Bulletin writes of Sergeant Keyes as follows:--"Mr. Keyes entered the army from patriotic motives, and he has sealed his devotion to his country with his life. In his death the Windham County Teacher's Association loses one of its most active and efficient members, and the community, a valuable and highly respected citizen a patriot and a christian. He leaves a widow and five children to mourn his loss."

Fri Jul 3 1863: Mr. A.M. Hitchcock, of Fair Haven has oysters so large that it only takes fifty to make a bushel and the largest weighs two pounds and a quarter.

Fri Jul 3 1863: Cyrus Knight, of East Hartford, has a half blood Alderney heifer, which had a calf born May 30th, the heifer then being one year and twenty-four days old.

Fri Jul 3 1863: Commencement at Yale occurs this year on Thursday, the 30th of July. The graduating class numbers about one hundred and twenty.

Fri Jul 3 1863: A short horned Durham cow belonging to H. H. Huntington of Bozrahville, yielded 14 1-4 pounds of the best quality butter last week.

Fri Jul 3 1863: Marriages

In Chaplin, June 11, by Rev. F. Williams, Daniel B. Pierce, of Rehoboth, Mass., and Elsa A. Adams, of Chaplin.

Fri Jul 3 1863: Deaths

In Canterbury, June 18, Deacon Barnabas Allen, aged 79

In Chicago, Ill., June 11, A.C. Tingley, aged 70, formerly of Windham, Conn.

In the hospital at Baton Rouge, La., June 12, Sergeant Edwin R. Keyes, of Pomfred, Company G., Twentysixth regiment, aged 36 years, from a wound received in the assault on Port Hudson, on May 25th.

Fri Jul 3 1863: List of Letters remaining in the Post Office at Willimantic, July 1st, 1863.
Henry Arnold, Hugh Gillen,
Thos. S. Beckwith, Lucy Hastings,
Wm. Brown, A.S. Hawkins,
Elias Beach, H.E. Harron,
Geo. B. Bushnell, B.F. Lincoln,
A.A. Badcock, Mr. J. Lilly,
L.M.A. Carly, Harrison Prentice,
J.H. Farrington, Patrick Reagen,
H.H. Flint, Mrs. A. Welch, 2.

Persons calling for the above will please say advertised. James Walden, P.M.

Fri Jul 3 1863: Notice. All persons having claims against the firm of Clark & Backus of Hampton, are hereby requested toforward the sum at an early day to Joseph S. Backus of Chaplin or to David Greenslit, of Hampton. Notes by copies, accounts drawn off and articles particularized, and those indebted to said firm are requested to make immediate payment to the above named persons. Hampton, June 29th, 1863.

Fri Jul 3 1863: At a Court of Probate, holden at Chaplin within and for the district of Chaplin on the 27th day of June, A.D. 1863. Present Orin Witter, Esq. Judge. Upon petition of Samuel R. Russ, of Chaplin in county of Windham showing to this court that he is guardian of Caroline M. Gray and Ralph R. Gray both of Chaplin in said district, minors, that said minors are the owners of one undivided half of the following described real estate situated in the town of Windham in said Windham county and the town of Lebanon in New London county. The first piece situated in the town of Windham described as follows, viz: commencing at the S.W. corner of said piece by a school house thence running east to the land of Consider Young, thence southerly by said Young's land to land of or belonging to the late Solomon Loring, thence westerly by land of Samuel R. Russ and land of E. Crowell, thence southerly by said Crowell's land and land of late John Champlain and others, thence westerly by said Champlain's land of Crowell's land to highway leading from Windham to Lebanon, thence by said high way to the first mentioned bound with a house and barn thereon standing containing about 41 acres more or less and is the same piece of land which was deeded to Elias R. Gray and his former wife by John. F. Russ valued of about two hundred dollars. The second piece is situated partly in the town of Windham and partly in the town of Lebanon in new London county bounded northerly by a highway leading from said Windham to said Lebanon, Easterly by Benjamin Chappell's land southerly by land of Stephen Payne and westerly by land of Samuel F. Hatch, and contains about 10 acres and is one of the pieces of land deeded to said Gray and his former wife by John F. Russ September 176th, 1850.

Both of the said pieces of land above described being under the encumbrance of a life estate during the life of the said Elias R. Gray. That it would be for the interest of said minors that said land be sold and the avails thereof invested otherwise for their benefit according to law. Praying for liberty to sell said property for the purpose aforesaid as per petition on file. It is ordered by this court, that said guardian give notice of said application, by causing the same to be published in a newspaper printed in Willimantic in the county of Windham three weeks successively, at least six weeks before the hearing, and that said petition will be heard at the Probate office in said district on the 31st day of August next at one o'clock P.M. Certified from Record. Orin Witter, Judge.

Fri Jul 10 1863: [The following extract from a private letter from Geo. W. Cross, Co. C, 18th Connecticut, of Norwich Falls, has been communicated for the Journal:] Bloody Creek, Pa., June 25, 1863.

Dear Mother: To-day is the first chance I have had to write to you since the battle of Winchester. I went through the whole of the fight and did not get wounded. How I escaped from being taken prisoner is more than I can see into. I got into a field once where there were over 3000 rebels hid in the bushes and grass. The fight commenced Saturday morning. We whipped them till Sunday afternoon; then another force came up in our rear, and, in fact, on all sides of us. Our force was only six or seven thousand while the rebels were about 30,000. We had plenty of forts but no cannon to put in them. Sunday night, by 6 o'clock, the rebels had captured every fort but one, and every cannon but four. From that time up to 10 in the evening, the fight was terrible. Their cannon were no further off than Mott's house from you, and the way the shells flew was a caution. At 1 Monday morning we spiked the four cannon and retreated towards Harper's Ferry. We left two baggage wagons filled with tents and knapsacks. We did not try to take them with us, so I have lost everything except what I have got on. I shall miss the photograph the most of anything. We got through the rebel lines and had gone four miles when we were surrounded again in a piece of woods. Here we had to fight for life. We would charge on them and drive them some ways and then they would drive us. We stood our ground for two or three hours, and then we scattered in every direction. Some cut their way through, some were taken prisoners, others were shot. Capt. Bowen was shot. They were carrying him off on a litter, when he raised up his head and the rebels shot him dead. We hung together till we lost near all of our officers. I saw Col. Ely's horse without a rider. One of our Lieutenants was shot and taken prisoner, and others were taken prisoners. There are not over a dozen of Co. C here at headquarters. I am the only one from the Falls. There are a great many more scattered around over the mountains. We did not scatter till after daybreak. The rebels had several cannon, and they poured the grape shot and shell into us so fast that we could not stand it. When it was dark they fired over us most every time. When men stand up in front of cannon two or three hours which are not more than six rods off, you may be sure that they were fighting for their lives. Just as we had orders to scatter and save our lives, a horse came running out of the woods, between me and the rebels. I put for him and caught him. About the time I got on his back the bullets flew around my head like hail, and plowed the ground all around me. The rebels sung out to me, "Halt, you d_____d Yankee, your retreat is cut off!" I put the butt of my gun around the horse's legs, and off I went as fast as he could carry me. I put for the mountains, and Lord knows where I went to, for I don't I tried to go north-west, but all I had to guide me was the sun. I knew the rebels were in Martinsburg, so I thought I would put up into Pennsylvania. I came out at Bath, on the Potomac. Just as I had got over the river, what should I see but the rebels coming into the town? So I put back over the river again, and went up the river as fast as the horse would go. At St. John's I met a train of cars just going out, so I jumped off the horse and got into the cars, and rode up to Cumberland, Pa. When I got there I found several of the 18th that I knew. I was so tired I could hardly stand up. If you had seen me when on horseback you would have been apt to smile. I wore the seats of my pants and drawers through. We went from Cumberland to New Creek, and from there we struck off through the mountains to Bedford, Pa. We walked about forty miles and brought up within four miles of Cumberland again. This about discouraged us. We jumped into an empty car and rode about eight miles. We are now at Bloody Creek, about eight miles from Bedford. About 100 of the 18th are here.***I hope when we go into an another fight we will have a chance to pay the rebels up. I gave them all the bullets I had. Seven of us fired at a rebel officer on horseback and killed him. Which of us hit him is hard to say. For the last week I have not had anything to eat only what I have begged.

Find a board about a specific topic