Hezekiah Samuel ELGIN (1790-1861) gave a slave as a "deed of gift" to each of his seven children. This was recorded in the Jessamine County "Deed Book" on November 26,1855. Following is the list of names. [I include the surnames of the ELGIN heirs for the benefit of those searching for ancestors who may have taken a surname familiar to them when freed in 1865]:
1) to James H. ELGIN: a negro woman named "Richey" (sp?)
2) to Margaret COONS: a negro woman named "Sarah Black"
3) to Sarah HAWKINS: a negro boy named "Thomas"
4) to Mary LONG: a negro boy named "Smith"
5) to John ELGIN: a negro boy named "Edmund" [Held in trust by James W. HAWKINS]
6) to Bettie OVERSTREET: a negro girl named "Lucy"
7) to Katy STUART/STEWART: a negro boy named "Julus" [This name may have been "Julius"]