Search for content in message boards

Hewitt/Hewett genealogy

Replies: 4

Hewitt/Hewett genealogy

Posted: 1205335411000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hewitt, Hewett
Dear Hewitt/Hewett/Huot Researchers and other versions of the name,

We are a group of people working on our ancestry who have formed a DNA project to help us with our researching. Genetic genealogy is an exciting field that combines the science of DNA testing with the time honored methods of traditional paper trail research. Our group is still rather small, we have sixteen participants, but we have a vast variety of Hewitt and variant lines from many places in the world, including England, Ireland, France, Canada, Australia, and the United States.

One of our participants descends from a long line of Hewetts who immigrated to the Jamestown, Virginia in the early 1600s from Kent, England. Richard Hewitt of this line died in Jamestown in 1622. Family tradition says that he was survived by two sons who went on to produce many descendants that settled in the southeastern part of North Carolina, around Wilmington. The wife of one descendant, James Hewett, born 1721, was Susannah Crump, great-granddaughter of Rev. Richard Buck who married John Rolfe to Pocahontas.

Other participants have stories such as Captain Thomas Hewitt, born in 1630 who resided in Connecticut and died at sea in 1666 and Randall Hewitt born in London and immigrated to New York and died in Cape May, New Jersey. His line settled in Brunswick County, North Carolina.

Descendants of Lacey Hewitt, born about 1815 in East Ruston, Norfolk, England still live in England. Some Hewitts participants descend from families that originated in Ireland, such as Hamilton Hewitt born 1790 in county Cork and Adam Hewitt born 1770 in county Down. Adam immigrated to New Brunswick, Canada as did Mathurin Huot from France who settled in Quebec. One of our participants descends from Edward Hewitt born in 1773 Bishopstone, Wilshire, England; descendants now reside in Australia.

William Joseph Hewitt was born in 1832 in Surrey, England; he immigrated to Bureau County, Illinois as a young man and fought in the American Civil War. He and his wife settled in Nodaway County, Missouri where they raised a large family.

We would like to extend an invitation to anyone who carries the Hewitt/Hewett/Huot or any variation of the name to join our DNA project. The more participants we have the better chance to make connections. Even it you do not have much information about your ancestry, you may be able to match up genetically with someone who does. If you would like to read more about our project, please visit our website at www.familytreedna.com/public/Hewitt.

My name is Daniela Moneta and I am the great-great-granddaughter of William Hewitt who fought in the Civil War. I am the volunteer project coordinator for the Hewitt DNA project. This is a Y-Chromosome DNA study so if you are female, like me (we have X-Chromosomes), you will have to ask a brother, father, or male cousin to test for you. If you have any questions about our project or have questions about DNA testing, I would be happy to answer them.

Sincerely,
Daniela
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dmoneta 1205335411000 
su_4_me2 1222982568000 
1_pcnichols 1338914888000 
tulrose 1351480779000 
SBecker 1548310956000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic