William and Rhoda were my ggg grandparents. They married 9 June 1836 in Ellijay, Glimer Co., GA. Their oldest child, Elmira Lousie, b. Nov 1839 in Gilmer Co., was my gg grandmother. Elmira had five children before she married Dred Pelfrey, 3 Oct 1886. In the 1860 census she is 19 years old, living at home. In the 1870 census, she lives next to her parents and states her name as Elmiry McVay. She has four children. (I cannot find any record of a marriage to a McVay, and frankly don't know what or if there is a connection). Her children are:
1)Daniel Bunion Deal, b. 15 April 1858 (1870 census, age 8, suggests 1862, 1880 census, age 19, suggests 1861 - tombstone says 1858)in Gilmer Co., m. Fannie Adeline Pelfrey, d. 22 Sep 1902, Fannin Co.,GA.
2) John William Deal, b. 8 Feb 1865, m. Octavia Rose Whitener, d. 4 Jul 1930, Cumberland, Harland Co., KY.
3) James Leander Deal, twin, b. 8 Sep 1870 in Gilmer Co.,(1870 census, enumerated on 3 Sept 1870, says "age 1", suggesting 1869) m. Elizabeth Rebecca Clements, d. 13 Feb 1968, Weatherford, Cutster, OK.
4) Mary Jane Deal, twin, b. 8 Sep 1870 in Gilmer Co.,(see census note for twin above) m. Thomas Sherman Ensley, d. 29 Jan 1961, Pierceville, Fannin Co., GA.
5) Allen Oscar Deal, b. 10 Dec 1876 in Fannin co., m. Millie Etta Hollifield, d. 30 Nov. 1945, Bradley Co., TN.
6) Robert S. Pelfrey, b. Jun 1883.
The fathers of the above children are unknown, however, there is speculation that William Jones may have been the father of the twins, James and Mary Jane; Ira Sisson the father of Allen; and a Holt the father of Robert, even though he carried the Pelfrey name. (He would have been 3 when Elmira married Dred. Dred Pelfrey was married three times: 1) Elizabeth Lovelady; 2) Elmira Deal; 3) Pasty Rose. Dread was blind and received a good pension). Elmira's last child, Martin V. Pelfrey, was fathered by Dread.
7) Martin V. Pelfrey, b. Sep 1887 in Fannin Co., m. Roxey Ray, d. 1940 in Fannin Co., GA.
William and Rhoda's other children are:
1) Elmira Louise, b. Nov 1839, Gilmer Co.
2) William Deal, b. 1840, Gilmer Co.
3) John A. Deal, b. 1844, Gilmer Co.
4) Nancy Louisa Deal, b. 1848, Gilmer Co.
5) Martha J. Deal, b. 1850, Gilmer Co.
6) George Washington Deal, b. Oct. 1852, Gilmer Co.
7) Thomas Marion Deal, b. 20 June 1856, Gilmer Co.
8) Missouri A. Deal, b. 1857
9) Martin Juan Deal, b. 5 Dec 1858, Gilmer Co.
10)Jefferson Davis Deal, b. 10 Dec 1861, Gilmer Co.
11)Columbus Van Buren Deal, b. 10 Aug 1864, Gilmer Co.
12)Charity E. Deal, b. 1868, Gilmer ?, GA