Search for content in message boards

Thomas Bell and Mary Hemings

Thomas Bell and Mary Hemings

Posted: 1284676006000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bell, Hemings, Jefferson
Is the Thomas Bell who had a common law relationship with the slave mary Hemings, (sold to him by Thomas Jefferson), the brother of Dorcas Bell?

Dorcas and Thomas are children of James Bell. Dorcas married Samuel Love.

Thomas Bell left a will naming Robert Washington Bell and a Sally Jefferson Bell that I believe are the children of Mary Hemings.

Looking for any information that confirms the above.

Re: Thomas Bell and Mary Hemings

Posted: 1312147699000
Did you hear anything for anyone? I don't know for sure myself. But I will look around too.

Posted: 1318424951000
Happened across this history of the Bell family at http://www.archive.org/stream/bellfamilyinamer00week/bellfam....

The following exerpt seems to support your conclusion:

James Bell of South Eiver had these children:
Agnes, married James Gamble; Dorcas, married
Love; Sarah; James, moved to Bards-
town, Ky., in 1795; William, married and left
descendants in Tennessee; Thomas, died unmar-
ried in Charlottesville, in 1797, a captain in the
revolution; John, died unmarried in 1797; Jos-
eph, a revolutionary soldier, died unmarried in
1832; Samuel, a revolutionary officer, died un-
married in 1788.

Posted: 1494438008000
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Bell Hemings Schenck Boeckman
Not sure I can help with Thomas Bell's ancestry beyond what you have and what others have added in this thread, but I do have more on his son with Mary Hemings. Robert Washington Bell eloped with and married my Great, Great, Great Aunt, Ann F Schenck, in Orange County, VA in 1810, just a month before the death of her father, Cornelius Schenck. Her Mother, Rebecca (Winston) Schenck died in 1811. Richard and Ann (Schenck) Bell left Charlottesville in 1813 and moved to Clarksville, Tennessee where Bell opened a harness shop. He died there about 1818 and left his widow and two children, Richard F. Bell and Mary Ann Bell. They and their Mother show up in the 1820 census in Nashville, Tennessee. Ann and Richard are said to both be dead before 1830. Richard is said to have died in Canton, Kentucky, and Mary Ann married a German immigrant, Christopher Boeckman, in St. Louis. She died in the cholera epidemic there in 1849, leaving no known descendants in this line.

Documentation for all this is not perfect, but persuasive from contemporary and later records and available if you are interested. Intriguingly, but perhaps not surprisingly, *nothing* about Robert Bell and his wife Ann F. Schenck was passed down in my own Virginia family line either in written or oral form. Her name isn't even mentioned in the usual published genealogical sources listing the children of Cornelius Schenck and Rebecca Winston.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic