Search for content in message boards

-Rule's in Australia- can you help?

-Rule's in Australia- can you help?

Posted: 1279524843000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1279551301000
Surnames: RULE
Hi all,
I am posting here in absolute desperation, wondering if anyone can help me uncover the mystery of my great-grandmother. I'll provide the information I have, in the very optimistic hope that someone may have even a tiny bit of info, or tips for me.

Her name (going by her death certificate) is: Dorothy Blanche Jean Rule, and it lists her birth date as being in 1904 in Newmarket Victoria.
She married my great-grandfather Leonard Henry Robert lodge in 1925 and from then forth was known as Dorothy Lodge.
Dorothy and Leonard had 6 children, and it was apparently the 17/11/1952 that she passed away. Her children cant recall her ever discussing her family (parents, siblings etc) and alas, we have come to a screeching halt.

Despite extensive searching of BDM's resources, ancestry.com, National Archives etc, all I have managed to find is electoral roles with her listed as her married name of Dorothy Lodge. It would seem as though any record of her pre-married life is non-existent. Her death certificate says that her parents are 'unknown'.

The only lead we have is a great-aunt's recollection that Dorothy may have had siblings- "Florie", "Clarie" and "Harry" (Possibly Florence, Clarence and Harold).
I've searched these names and have discovered that there is a Clarence, Harry and Florence Rule born to a Henry or Harry Rule(abbreviated as Hy), and a Carol (or Caroline) Holtzmann (also spelled Hottzman in one record).

So...is there anyone out there possibly researching any of the above people? has any info, no matter how small? Or do you have some tips? This brickwall is driving me crazy!

Cheers,
Sarah

Re: Rule's in Australia- can you help?

Posted: 1279543968000
Sarah,
Mystery Solved !!

Your great Aunt's memory was excellent, the siblings you located are correct..

Here is her birth entry.. she was indexed as Doris and 1905 was her registration year and Flemmington her place of registration which is next door to Newmarket..

Surname: RULE
Given Names: Doris Blanche
Event: B
Sex:
Spouse Surname/Father: Hy
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Carol Matda L HOLLZONANN
Birth Place: FLTON
Death Place:
Year: 1905
Reg. Number: 2998

Her siblings.. (Deaths)

Surname: RULE (think this one is the father)
Given Names: Hy
Father: Rule Harry
Mother: Unknown UNKNOWN
Death Place: KENSGTN
Age Code:
Year: 1933
Reg Number: 7631
Event: D

--------------------

Given Names: Percy Charles
Father: Harry
Mother: Caroline HOLTSMAN
Death Place: PARK
Age Code:
Year: 1966
Reg Number: 15705

Given Names: Clarence Frederi
Father: Henry
Mother: Caroline HEULSMAN
Death Place: SPRI
Age Code:
Year: 1969
Reg Number: 14379

Mother's death

Given Names: Caroline Matda
Father: Holtzman Lou
Mother: Emma GUNTER
Death Place: DNONG
Age Code:
Year: 1929
Reg Number: 1142

Debbie

Posted: 1279545027000
Sarah,
This is Dorothy's father's death.. I located him 7 Caroline buried together at Springvale. Caroline did not remarry after his death and Dorothy was only 8 when he died , may explain why she knew little of the family history..

Given Names: Hy
Sex:
Spouse Surname/Father: Rule Hy
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Mary CURTAN
Age Code:
Birth Place:
Death Place: Melb E
Year: 1913
Reg. Number: 14187

Cemetery Springvale Botanical Cemetery
Given Names HENRY
Surname RULE

Date of Service 26/11/1913

Burial Type BURIAL
Location Details Church of England - Monumental Compartment M Section 2 Grave 40

Cemetery Springvale Botanical Cemetery
Given Names CAROLINE MATILDA
Surname RULE

Date of Service 29/01/1929

Burial Type BURIAL
Location Details Church of England - Monumental Compartment M Section 2 Grave 40

At least you now have confirmation of your great grandparents and their parents..

Debbie

Posted: 1279596185000
Surnames: Rule
Debbie,

You are an absolute legend! Thank you so, so much for your help! I have been searching for my Nan, (who was only young herself when Dorothy passed away) and really has her heart set on finding out who her family is.
Its funny, it was only last night that I called her to ask if she was sure that her mum's name was Dorothy. I've been wondering if she had perhaps changed her name by deed poll, or was registered as another name. I've searched just Dorothy, Dot, Blanche and jean etc and no luck. Never did it occur to me to search for a Doris! Lo and behold, you've cracked the case that has gnawed at me for months, and at my Nan for over 50 years. I owe you BIG TIME, haha! Nan has had heart trouble and is having her second hip replacement and I think its been playing on her mind lately. You have no idea what this will mean to her.

I have no words- thank you so much for your assistance, I cant express how much I appreciate it! *Cyber hug and high-five!*

Kindest regards,
Sarah

Posted: 1279605081000
Sarah,
You are very welcome. I have most records at home on disc. If I can be of any further help to you just reply to post. I feel sorry for you and your gran to have been stuck for so long knowning it took me less tht 60 seconds to locate the info..

I will point out to you that her birth was registered in 1905 if in fact she was born dec 1904 that would account for her registration being in 1905. You can order her birth cert online and it will give you an exact date. It will also provide you with information on both Henry & Caroline Rule. Some of their info will also be in the indexes..
Why dont you give the cert to your grandmother as at their age "SEEING IS BELIEVING" good luck and let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with..

Debbie
jacksbacko@bigpond.com

Posted: 1279625819000
Surnames: Rule
Thanks again Debbie!
I was wondering where you had managed to find those records...I'd searched high and low. Are the discs you've got the ones from the Vic BDM? I'm thinking about buying a set.
I plan on ordering a copy of the certificates, but without Dorothy's registered name, and only having her father Henry's occupation (listed as a painter) as opposed to a name on her death certificate, we were half led up the garden path. I kept searching the BDM database and drawing blanks. Now we know exactly who we are looking for. I'll be ordering those certificates right away!

I have one last favor to ask (you'll be completely sick of me before the week is through, haha!). We are also searching for info on one of Nan's sisters, who passed away before Dorothy. From what Dorothy's death certificate states, her name was Florence Hilda Lodge and we estimate her birth date as somewhere around 1936. As far as the family knows, she was a nurse and contracted something that proved fatal in the course of caring for a patient. Apparently she was a young newlywed, marrying a man named Jack Matthews in Warragul, Vic. Again, no matter where I search, I cant find anything about her. Is there anything in your stash about Florence?

Thanks so much again Debbie, I owe you a big slab of chocky cake or something :)

Posted: 1279630266000
Easy Peasy Sarah,
Less than 20 seconds.. getting faster..

Surname: MATTHEWS
Given Names: Flor
Father: Lodge Leonard Robt Henry
Mother: Dory Blanche Jena RULE
Death Place: FROY
Age Code:
Year: 1948
Reg Number: 7541

Note the above reg no (7541) use these reg numbers when ordering certificates.. cheaper and acurate.

You can order them online at www.justice.vic.gov.au

choose "uncertified certificates and they will be instantly downloaded to your PC

For her burial try
http://www.warragulcemeteries.org.au/search1.htm
the site is currently unavailable but will be able to search soon.

As for Lodge ( just as a bonus for you)

Surname: LODGE
Given Names: Leonard Robert H
Father: Edward
Mother: Clarissa Lou BUNKELL
Death Place: MIRB
Age Code:
Year: 1972
Reg Number: 2816

siblings
--------------------

Given Names: Alexander Edward
Father: Edward
Mother: Clara BUNKELL
Death Place: NILM
Age Code:
Year: 1970
Reg Number: 13501

Surname: MCPHEE
Given Names: Ivy Clarissa
Father: Lodge Edward
Mother: Clarissa Lou BUNKELL
Death Place: WARR
Age Code:
Year: 1977
Reg Number: 19395

Parents

--------------------

Given Names: Edw
Father: Lodge Harry
Mother: Unknown UNKNOWN
Death Place: SALE
Age Code:
Year: 1924
Reg Number: 3317

died 3/1/1924 Mirboo Nth ( Farmer)
Left a will 15/2/1923, left his estate to be divided between Leonard Robert Lodge, Arthur Ernest Lodge & Ivy Clarissa Lodge.. ( left Alexander out !)

The birth of the son Alexander Lodge in 1903 lists the mmother as Clarissa Louisa CLAXTON

In every other record she is listed as Bunkill, Bunkell or Brinkhill ?? the surname LODGE seems to originate from Yorkshire England..

About the chocolate cake ! mm sounds good but sitting here on my fat A doing research I am starting to get FAT so make it diet chocolate cake..

I hate diet food !

Debbie

Posted: 1279630591000
Classification: Death
Surnames: Matthews, Lodge, Rule
Hi Sarah

Death 1948 Victoria BMD online

MATTHEWS, Flor
Father: Leonard Henry Robt LODGE
Mother: Dory Blanche Jena RULE
Place of Death: FROY (which is abbreviation for Fitzroy)

You can order certificates online at:https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/

Cheers
Tania

Re: -Rule's in Australia- can you help?

Posted: 1279637179000
Classification: Death
Surnames: Lodge
The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848-1954) (about) < Tuesday 18 November 1952

LODGE. Dorothy. - On November 17 at Mirboo North Bush Nursing Hospital beloved wife of Leonard loving mother of Herbert, Florence (deceased), Jean, Leonard and Heather aged 48 years. - At rest.

LODGE. - The Funeral of the late DOROTHY BLANCHE JEAN LODGE will leave St Mary's Church of England Mirboo North after a service commencing at 2 p.m. TOMORROW (Wednesday, November 19) for the Mirboo North Cemetery.
F and M FISHMAN Funeral Directors, Mirboo North 83.

Sarah, have you checked out the National Australian Archives for WW1 or WW2 service records, for RULE or HOLTZMANN. Something tells me you should try South Australia records, feel this family may have originated in SA before coming to Victoria.

Cheers
Tania

Re: -Rule's in Australia- can you help?

Posted: 1279667754000
Tani,
You are correct.. Herbert was born in South Australia.

Given Names: Herbert
Date: 1895-05-16
Sex: M
Father: Henry RULE
Mother: Caroline HOLTZMANN
Birth Place/Residence: Penola
District Code: Gre
Symbol:
Book: 566
Page: 378
Cross Reference: