STEPHEN W. YANCEY is a farmer and sheep raiser residing on the Adams ranch, eight mile southeast from Prineville. He was born in Kansas on February 18, 1879, the son of J. P. and SUSANNAH (HAGLER) YANCEY, natives of Illinois. In 1852 they crossed the plains to California where the father tried farming for some time. In 1857 he went to Nevada, followed various occupations and finally, with others, discovered the famous Walker mines in 1858. It was 1881 when he came to Crook county with his family, and in 1897 he removed to Lakeview where he engaged in freighting and also conducts a feed stable. He is well known for his honesty and sagacity. Our subject was educated in the public schools of Prineville and early engaged in sheep shearing. He also raised stock for himself and followed various other occupations until he entered the sheep business in which he has now got a fine start, owning nearly three thousand head.
On October 22, 1893, Mr. Yancey married MISS SARAH ADAMS, the daughter of WILLIAM ADAMS, a pioneer of Crook County and now residing at Prineville, who also is mentioned in another portion of this work. Mr. and Mrs. Yancey have three children ORVILLE, ADRIAN and HAZEL.
From: The History of Crook County, Oregon published 1981