Search for content in message boards

German Ancestry - difficulty in locating where records should be found

German Ancestry - difficulty in locating where records should be found

Posted: 1566845617000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Knapp
My mother's mother's father (my maternal great grandfather) was born in the area of Sankt Andreasberg in Lower Saxony (in the Harz Mountains) in 1867. This is also the year (from what I've found) that Lower Saxony joined von Bismarck's North German Confederation. I am struggling to locate where records for his birth or baptism might be. I don't know his parents' names either. I do know that his parents were separated when he was young, and he was "taken from his mother by the time he was 6" (according to a personal letter he wrote). So I presume there would likely be some legal documents relating to this. His name was August Carl Henry Knapp, b. 15 Jun 1867. He emigrated to the US in 1886, then to Ohio where he got married, then to Toronto, and then finally to Albany, NY where he became a US Citizen. If anyone can help me with this I'd greatly appreciate it!

Regards,
Paul

Re: German Ancestry - difficulty in locating where records should be found

Posted: 1568308636000
Paul: I have been researching in Germany for many years. You may find the records you need in the Archives in Hannover. I had a private researcher review the records for me but that was several years ago. You might contact them to see if they provide any research help reviewing indices .. and possibly copying pages for you.

I lucked out to find some genealogists had been reviewing parish records near Uelzen and published books. The hardest part is to purchase a copy from the genealogy society as they only take checks in euros ... and it is almost impossible to find a place to give me a check in euros. Wire transfers are very expensive ... a EUR 29.50 book will cost me about $100 when finished.

I am hoping to find a person in Germany who would purchase the book and have it shipped.

Posted: 1568416463000
I had the same problem a few years ago. I found a researcher online who went to the archives in Hannover to trace my family. After the research was done she held the results until I could pay. She got approval for me to send her a check for $300 which was the current conversion rate value. It took the eek mail and 2 weeks or so until the payment cleared and then she emailed me the final results and mailed me paper copies.
You might get lucky and find someone who will accept a PayPal, but there are probably other ways to pay by now I would think.
Since my folks come from Lower Saxony I found German Archives online and found information on my own there--not knowing German made it difficult, but I made it work.
https://www.arcinsys.niedersachsen.de/arcinsys/start.action
Hope the link works--I know I am not allowed to post the name of a researcher -- against the rules.

Posted: 1568416563000
You have to create an account--and I forgot, you can navigate in English now.
Niedersachsen Federal State Archives
per page

Find a board about a specific topic