Search for content in message boards

Hix/Hicks in Powhatan County, Virginia

Hix/Hicks in Powhatan County, Virginia

Posted: 1270817633000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hicks/Hix
I am looking for any information concerning the Hix who lived in Powhatan County around 1775-1800 although the name carried on for many years after that. Particularly of interest to me is Frederick Hicks born in 1801. I believe his name to have been Hix as I have found a record from his oldest son (William Mosley) that was also spelled Hix, then changed in a later census. I suspect that the father (Fred) changed his name and in turn the son did the same. This leaves me with many questions though... I believe Stephen Hix to be Fredericks father. I have also found a last will from an Archibald Hix (seems to be a plantation owner) who was definitely Stephen's father. Brothers of Stephen were a Jesse and a Daniel who were named as well. Any help, info would be great!
Thanks

Re: Hix/Hicks in Powhatan County, Virginia

Posted: 1277686460000
Surnames: Hicks, Aston
Hello Robert! You and I are at the exact same roadblock. I am not a Hicks descendent by blood, but I was babysat as a kid by Hicks descendents and kind of got "adopted" into the family. I still live here in Powhatan, VA on part of the old Hicks/Aston property (wish I knew if it once was a plantation with a name). I know and am close to some of the Powhatan descendents, so I'm kind of researching for both them and myself. I get back to Frederick every time and can't get any farther. It's interesting that he and his wife Maria (Marion?) Price Cox Hicks both seem to have died the same month and year (April 1850) - and maybe on the same day? Wish I could find out how they died. And of course, I can't find out who Fred's father was. I've come across the same Archibald Hix from further back and I list seven children for him, including the Stephen you mention (and also the Daniel and Jesse and others). How/why do you connect the Stephen to Frederick? Just curious. Truly wish I could find this missing link (and the name of this farm/plantation). Also, I love the pictures that you have recently posted of William Mosley Hicks and his wife Emily Helen Aston Hicks. (By the way, I had not been sure that she was an Aston. I suspected it, but you have confirmed it for me.) Also, I was fascinated by the two Windy Hill photos. I did not know that there was a first Windy Hill house and that there had been a fire. Where did you get that info. The second Windy Hill house I'm very familiar because it was there that I was babysat and kind of grew up. I was SO sad that they tore it down for the new Aston neighborhood. But the old Hicks family cemetery is still in the field - just over beside our driveway. Would love to communicate with you some more.

Posted: 1509546068000
Hi...I know this thread is old, but I'm looking for info on the old Hicks farmhouse. We live in Aston on the site of the old house...cemetery is next door. Any help would be appreciated. Would love to find photos of the old house. I have found numerous artifacts on the property.

Posted: 1532018651000
I know this is a very old thread. But I just found out some info on my Hicks side. I believe Joseph Hicks was the slaveowner of my family. There may also be a blood connection. Does anyone have information on him?

TIA

Posted: 1539480381000
I have an Archibald Hix in my line born 1782 of Lee, Virginia.Parents my 3x great grandparents Nathaniel Hix 17xx and Jane Scott 1762 is this my line of Hicks your talking about?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic