Search for content in message boards

Drury/Drewery Lawson(1756-1847) I'm so confused!!!!!

Drury/Drewery Lawson(1756-1847) I'm so confused!!!!!

Posted: 1475517870000
Classification: Query
I need help with knowing who his parents are. Most people list William Lawson(1731-1826) and Rebecca Jane Banks(1735-1827) I don't want to say I'm related to the Scottish Rebel if I'm not related to him. I just want to know where my ancestors come from. Thank you in advance for any and all information.

Crystal

Re: Drury/Drewery Lawson(1756-1847) I'm so confused!!!!!

Posted: 1476741293000
Surnames: Lawson
Dna proved William the Rebel is not Drewerys father. It may have been Wurteh Watts and Nathaniel Lawson. Drewery is in group 3 at the Carl Lawson dna site. William the Rebel in in group 12.

Posted: 1476743709000
Thank you so much for that information. I have seen so many family trees listing William as his father. Do you know if Wurteh Watts was Native American? I've seen some posts on here saying she was. I just want the correct information if there is a way to prove the information. Thank you again

Crystal

Posted: 1476749601000
Edited: 1548631488000
Surnames: Lawson
I viewed some of the piblic trees at Ancestry, I see what you mean. William the Rebel?
. Wurteh WU-TE-WAH Corn Tassel Bird Watts. 1741-1814. Tasigi Town, Crockett, Cherokee Nation East Virginia. This is some of what I went by. Nathaniel b. 1728 as his Father. Wurty Wutty Wur-Teh; There was no wtitten language for the Cherokee Indain. No paper trail. She would put the mans things outsice the home to get a divorce. She concived Drury Lawson with Nathaniel Lawson when he was on the long hunt. Her son Bob Benge had red hair and blue eyes. He attacked the white settelers. They broke many promises to the Indian. Wurteh was married at least 4 times. She is

#1105 number on the Cherokee Indian Roll.found this. Its hard to read because of the way its written out but NOTE the Black Sal info here. She was Elizabeth Dougherty, daughter or grand daughter of Cornelius Dougherty. Dougherty is spelled and miss spelled a dozen ways but here is the crux of it. She was supposed to be Drewery/Drury’s mother. I found a reference to it where a direct descendant was stating it was true. I am trying to find that reference now and will send it as well. Nathan LAWSON b ca 1755 VA was a licensed Indian Trader. It was quite common for Indian Traders to take a Cherokee “wife” and often had two or three, each living in different villages over a large territory. It was also necessary as the Cherokee would have killed them in times of unrest or war if they were not “married” into the tribe – and the truth is many were simply taking advantage of opportunities. That said, Nathan LAWSON b 1755 VA has also been connected to Wurteh/Wurtah also misspelled a dozen ways. It is entirely possible Elizabeth “Black Sal” and Wurteh were the same person. And it is also true that there were several Wurteh named females at that time. From my Cousins research.
jamesmoss@peoplepc.com

Posted: 1476750093000
Thank you for giving me all this information. I just hope I can find all of my Lawson ancestors for my mom. Lawson was her maiden name. Her father,mother and brother have died. So I'm trying to find her ancestors for her. She loves hearing about anything I can find

Posted: 1476802534000
Edited: 1548631488000
What is the name and possible dates of your mothers parents and grandparents.
I can check the dna site to see if anyone has tested with those names and dates in their family. . I have seen the name Sharp somewhere in my files. It may take a while to find. You may e-mail me direct. Drewery had another wife before Hannah. As far as I know they did not have any children that were ever listed in found records. . Also the name of her brother might help.

Posted: 1481557387000
My GG Grandmother was a Lawson from McMinn County, TN. Here is what I know after doing my Family Tree DNA. I have several Watts and many of the names you mention as close matches. So this would mean that what I've been told is true. Drury/Drewery was my 4th Great Grandfather. He did have a son and possibly other children. He married Hannah Potts I believe. All my paternal lines are from SE Tennessee...myself being from Bradley County, TN (now FL). Bradley became the last county formed after the removal. So in 1839 it became Bradley County. Because of all my matches and the excellent resources from others I matched with, indeed I descend from Nathan and Wurteh.... I would love more information and I'm willing to share what I know as well. I believe my 3rd Great Grandfather Richard, removed as an Old Settler to KY in 1820, but went back to McMinn County (borders Bradley) in 1830 and died in Bradley in 1852. Others from this union have contacted me over the years and I never really paid attention...but I do now. I also had a match with a Gist, Raper, Scott and more. So for me, I'm proud, would just like to know more of Nate and Wurteh, my 5th Great Grandparents. Kathy

Posted: 1484877949000
Hi!! I am your cousin.... My gg grandmother was Jane Lawson, her father was Rich Lawson, his father was Drury/Drewery Lawson...and according to family finder DNA ...I match Watts and Scotts...many more names. So I think I've got this pretty well figured out now.
My GG grandmother Lawson born in McMinn County, TN in 1830 married my GG Grandfather James A Carroll born in 1826 (don't know where).
I have tons of Lawson family information if you need it... would love to see how we connect.
Thanks,
Kathy

Posted: 1484930113000
Hi Kathy!!! Nice to meet a cousin!!!! I would love what ever information you have on the Lawson family. My grandfather Willie Lawson divorced my grandmother Flonnie Estella Chastain when my mom was 11 months old. She didn't see him again until she was in her 50's. So I know nothing about his family. Do you have any pictures I could see? Thank you for responding to my post.

Crystal

Posted: 1484957088000
I will need to find out more about Willie... Willie's father and then I can help you.
;)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic