Search for content in message boards

Giarratana from Sicily to Newark, NJ

Giarratana from Sicily to Newark, NJ

Carol Hart (View posts)
Posted: 983880000000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Giarratana
I am looking for information on my husband's family who emmigrated from Sicily to NJ. The oldest children were born in Sicily in the late 1800's the youngest in NJ in the early 1900's. Family names include Joseph, Thomas, Enrico, Samuel. One brother was a boxer in Italy using the English name Joe Hart.

Re: Giarratana from Sicily to Newark, NJ

Posted: 1042172914000
Edited: 1166793444000
Hello:
I am searching for the Giarratana from Alimena, Sicily too. My dad went over to Sicily last year and found that there are just a few of them left over there. Apparently they changed the spelling of the last name when they arrived over into the U.S.. The way we spell our last name is Girratono. But my dad seems to have found gravesites in Sicily of some of our ancestors. Giovanni Giarratana and Maria Giarratana (Maria was born Nov 11, 1915 and dies Jan 1, 199?). His fathers name was Tony Girratono (he is now deceased).
This has to be the same family, because my dad said unless they came here they stayed in Alimena.
Let me know and hope this helps a little. I am still trying to get more info on Giarratana's.

Sincerely
Judy Girratono

Carol Hart (View posts)
Posted: 1042208230000
Thank you for the information. I don't know much about this branch of my husband's family and have found no mention of a particular village in Sicily.

Carol Hart

Posted: 1087504640000
My grandfather, Thomas Giarratana, was born in New Jersey in 1904 (+/-1). My mother said he was Sicilian. I know he was in Hackensack in 1930, but I am just getting started on this and don't have much more information. Maybe a connection?

Posted: 1166711884000
My name was changed from Giarratana. I was born in 1934 to Jean and Joseph Giarratana. Joseph was the oldest of 3 brothers, Thomas, Tony, Samuel and 1 younger sister Kate. All brothers lived in New Jersey. Kate (unknown married name - somewhere near Connecticut). I grew up in West Orange - Thomas also lived there at one time. Joseph was a barber and an officer in the Union. Tony worked for a brewery, and Sam was a delivery driver. Don't know what Thomas did-I remember he had a mustache and was very personable - There's a strong possibility that distant relative are involved here.

Posted: 1166916453000
Surnames: Giarratana Hart
I showed your posting to my husband and we believe that you are my husband's cousin. Our information (which isn't much) shows that there were five brothers and one sister, Joseph, Anthony, Thomas, Enrico (who changed his name to Fred Hart), Samuel and Kate.
Enrico married three times, first as Enrico Giarratana to Ruth Flemm, second as Fred Giarratana to Maria Betty Gugel, and the third time as Fred Hart to Marjorie Heiney (my husband's mother). Enrico/Fred worked for Anheiser Busch, first in delivery than as a bottler.
Was your father Joseph a boxer under the name Joe Hart?
Please email me directly at nphd99@juno.com I'd love to trade information.

Posted: 1166916907000
Surnames: Giarratana Hart
I show our Thomas Giarratana as born July 16, 1906 died Aug. 1, 1989. I beleive his wife (possibly second wife?) was Loretta b. 1911 d. 1987 and he had a son Thomas that his cousins called Tommy G. If this sounds like your Thomas, please contact me directly at nphd99@juno.com

Posted: 1356649442000
I came across your post and it seems like there are some parallalels between these families. I know that my father in law's name was Joseph for Giuseppe Giarratana.

Posted: 1356678348000
Giuseppe Giarratana. I have several of the same name.
What was his DOB and town of birth in Sicily?

Posted: 1561418902000
Edited: 1561419245000
I realize that this is an old thread, but wanted to try anyway. My wife's Grandfather and Great Grandfather were also both Giuseppe Giarratana. The older was born 19 Mar 1875, we believe in Catania. The younger was born 28 Oct 1904 in Alimena. They came to the US in 1908, and stayed in New Jersey for a while before moving to Montana. I have had a difficult time piecing together information from Sicily, so I would appreciate any help!
Best regards,
Rene Torgersen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic