Search for content in message boards

Millowitsch/ Millovitsch, Nicholaus stonecarver Cologne

Millowitsch/ Millovitsch, Nicholaus stonecarver Cologne

Posted: 1191352024000
Classification: Query
Surnames: MILLOWITSCH, MILLOVITSCH, LINNARTZ
Looking for any information regarding Nicholaus Millowitsch, stonecarver or engineer in the city of Cologne. He was born abt. 1825, married Adelheid Linnartz before 1850.

Any relation to the famous Willy Millowitsch of the German theater? His son Peter doesn't know.

Re: Millowitsch/ Millovitsch, Nicholaus stonecarver Cologne

Posted: 1191523060000
Surnames: Millowitsch, Milovic
The Millowitsch theater dynasty reaches back until to the 18th century in the 7th generation. (The direct ancestors of the dynasty let itself read on the Internet, but these are then only the respective theater owners). The oldest puppeteer was Franz Andreas Millowitsch (1793-1875). Josef Caspar Millowitsch (1830-1867) then took over after this the theater. If "your" Nicolaus Millowitsch is born 1825, then Franz Andreas Millowitsch had probably other sons yet. "Your" Nicolaus then is descended from one of the other sons. However, can tell you only the family chronicle of the family Millowitsch perhaps exactly this. (I think, Willy Millowitsch had probably a family chronicle). The name Millowitsch is not a German surname. Therefore you will find him in the phone book also only 1 times in all of Germany: of the theater in Cologne! It is suspected that this name is "Germanized". The real name shall be "Milovic". And this is a typical surname of the area of Yugoslavia. The Millowitsch family shall have walked through the places once to earn money there with her travelling theater. The travelling theater then had established itself in Cologne later. By the way: Had Nicolaus emigrated? Or why are you interested at that?

Posted: 1191524416000
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: MILLOWITSCH, MILLOVITSCH, MILOVIC
Thank you for responding. I was originally researching the family name in Gottschee, a Germanic area of Austria, which is now Slovenia. The church death records of Nikolaus Milovic the second gave his birthplace as Köln, Germany, on October 1850. So I looked at the films of the state birth records for Köln, Germany in 1850 and found his birth and his parents' names. The father was Nicholaus Millowitsch, age 25, stonecarver. So I thought the son had emigrated from Germany, and that's where the family had originally been from.
By the way, my family has spelled it the German way as Millovitsch since my grandfather arrived in America from Gottschee.

Posted: 1192046510000
Surnames: Milowitsch, Millowitsch
I could find a "Nic. Milowitsch" at "castlegarden.org". He had 1873 emigrated. And I also have looked in an archive of North Rhine-Westphalia in the emigration data in the time. No Millowitsch emigrant was recorded there, however! It means: If he had actually emigrated of Cologne, then he had emigrated perhaps illegally. Or he had emigrated from another area of Germany ("Prussia").

Posted: 1192118877000
Surnames: Millowitsch
Can you tell me what church denomination specifically you found the information in on Millowitsch? Can you tell me what film you might have looked at? I am trying to solve a brick wall - and thought looking at this information might help lead me to answers I am searching for.

Posted: 1192122883000
You asked "Birdie1919"?!!

Posted: 1192134668000
Surnames: Millowitsch
Thanks for the info on Nic Millowitsch coming through Castle Garden. I had never looked there.

Posted: 1192135404000
I looked at the Family History Library films of Cologne (Köln) births on FHL film #1237879. There are many others for birth, marriages, & deaths by year.
Just go to familysearch.org, click on Library, then Family History Library catalog, then chose Place Search. Type in Cologne, part of Germany. Then click on the name till you get a list of records. Under Church Records (Kirkenbuch) chose the denomination and year you want.
These records are NOT available to German citizens. I don't know why. Order it at your local Mormon church for viewing. (The website also lists where to find your local Mormon church with facilities).
Hope this helps.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic