Search for content in message boards

William Brown and Family

William Brown and Family

Posted: 1372043818000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brown
ok i am trying to find information William Brown's Parents i get to him and i hit a big fat brick wall i know William owned a hostelry as it was called or an inn in hannaville or canal twp any info would be helpful just came home from my family reunion and want to get the ball rolling on my family tree

Re: William Brown and Family

Posted: 1372052602000
Give us some dates, approximate will do. There are way too many William Browns to guess at. Also his wife and children if you know.

Posted: 1372077591000
Surnames: Brown, Fuller
You are most likely researching the William and Zilpha (Fuller) Brown family but it would be most important to know which son or daughter you are descended from to give you data about them. Secondly, there are a number of William Brown's in that area...so we would need to know dates, etc. for William. If you are researching William noted above, please note that there are those who believe that his father was a Henry Brown...no proof...who fought in the Revolutionary War and came from Maryland...again no proof on either of these suggestions. Thanks.

Posted: 1372116144000
i am researching that particular William i am descended from his son john.... well my family does have tax records or copy's of that time and William born 1769 fought in the revolutionary war we was a Fifer

Posted: 1372157413000
Surnames: Brown, Fuller, Cousins
Are you referring to John H. Brown who married Hannah Halstead and lived primarily in and about Delaware and Sullivan counties New York? She was daughter of Joseph (Job) and Clarissa (Tyler) Halstead.

If this is not "your" John Brown, son of William and Zilpha (Fuller) Brown, then it would be most helpful to know more about your Brown family.

Thanks...By the way, I am descended from Amos and Mary Ann (Cousins) Brown...also a son of William Brown.

Posted: 1378609435000
Surnames: Brown, Miller
I'm also a descendant of John H. Brown (s/o William and Zilpha), through his daughter July Ann Brown(ca1818-bef1850) who married Harry H. Miller(of Cortland Co.,NY) (Harry was living with John and his wife in the 1850 census in Damascus,PA), Harry removed to Allegany Co.,NY and remarried. However, Harry and July Ann's son, Riley came back to Damascus before 1870 and remained in the area the rest of his life.
Do you know when John and his wife, Hannah, died and where? Which son/daughter of John and Hannah are are you descendant of?

Andrew Burdett - New Caney,TX
ournorthernroots

Posted: 1378652764000
Surnames: Brown, Miller, Sherwood, Barton, Cousins
John & Hannah Brown along with daughter Zilpha E. Brown were enumerated in the 1860 US census living at Liberty Township, Sullivan County, NY. John was 65, Hanna 62 and Zilpha 22...all born NY. Researchers have not found their death date or burial site in Sullivan County but they probably died there...but no facts to substantiate this. I have John's children as follows: July Ann b.c. 1818 who md Harry H. Miller; William R. b.c. 1820 who md Sarah Ann Sherwood; Henry b.c. 1827, wife if one unknown; Hannah b.c. 1833, no known husband; Zilpha b.c. 1838, no known husband; and, Henrietta b.c. 1841 md John Henry Barton.

Lastly, I am descended from John's brother Amos who md Mary Anne Cousins at Venango County, PA. Most of the William family can be found there with the exception of your John H. Brown, and his sister, Mary. Mary may have also married in Deleware County, NY and stayed there...or moved to Venango County, PA with her married name.

I can be reached at rnwhiting@gmail.com

Posted: 1560354398000
John Brown is actually John P. Brower. He married Hannah Halstead in Erie County, New York. I am a descendant of this couple with DNA results to verify it.

Posted: 1560391532000
Thanks...happy for your DNA results. That said, do you have a reference or a citation for the Erie County, NY marriage between John P. Brower & Hannah Halstead? Secondly, was it your John P Brower and Hannah Halstead who were residing in Sullivan County, NY in 1820 & 1830? Lastly, was it John P. Brower and Hannah Halstead who were living in Wayne County, Pa in 1840 & 1850...and then returned to Sullivan County, NY by 1860? Perhaps, John H Brown married an unknown Hannah and lived in the counties I mention...whereas, perhaps your John P. Brower and Hannah Halstead lived in and about Erie County, NY...a long way of course from Sullivan County, NY.

Thanks...rnwhiting@gmail.com

Posted: 1560624050000
My John P. Brower and Hannah Halstead were married in Buffalo, Erie County, New York in 1816. Newspapers.com, Buffalo Gazette. In the 1840 federal census they are living in La Beouf, PA. They were selling property owned in Erie County, PA during that time as well. A DNA cousin provided this reference: From Early Settlers of New York State: Their Ancestors and Descendants, Volumes I-VI (PART II - iv-vi), page 270 (https://books.google.com/books?id=jTduA7gtMxgC&lpg=PP1&a...).
I notice that Brower often gets transcribed as Brown. John P. BROWER, son of Matheus Brower and Catrena Van Wert, is NOT a Brown. He is descended from Adam Brouwer, one of the earliest Dutch Brouwers. This is not the same family that you are looking for.
John P. BROWER and his wife Hannah, had Emily, Ephraim, Clarissa, Alfred, Thomas and George. Thomas is my 2nd GGF. He came to California in 1852 for the Gold Rush.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic