Search for content in message boards

RICKNER Family from Woolwich, also Essex/Surrey (1800s)

RICKNER Family from Woolwich, also Essex/Surrey (1800s)

Posted: 1092044073000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1092369595000
Surnames: Rickner, Weller
I am looking for any info on the following family -
John Rickner b.1845 in Ramsden,Essex ENG(Soldier) his wife Emily b.1849 in Fremsham,Surrey ENG.
Children -
1.John b.1871
2.Emily Phoebe Maria b.1873 Woolwich,Kent ENG
3.Charles b.1877 Woolwich,Kent,ENG
4.George b.1879 Woolwich,Kent,ENG
6.Robert T b. 1881 Woolwich,Kent,Eng

Emily Phoebe Maria Rickner married Arthur Henry Weller( b. abt 1865) at All Saints Church Blackheath,Kent ENG.

Any info on any of this family would be greatly appreciated.
Sue

Re: RICKNER Family from Woolwich, also Essex/Surrey (1800s)

Posted: 1099737557000
Edited: 1103802743000
Sue,
I do not usually read message boards so was very surprised to see your message regarding my gg grandparents on my mothers side.
John and Emily(Trussler) also had William(my g grandfather).
Alice, Caroline, Ada, Henry(Harry).
Please contact me if you feel I can of any help in your search.
Regards
Diane

Sue Meiers-Crouch (View posts)
Posted: 1099803830000
Edited: 1100326206000
Surnames: Rickner
Hi Diane,
Just read your message, I am a bit confused, are your John & Emily (Trussler) Rickner's. The other names you have do not ring a bell, but I do have next to nothing on my Rickner family.
The only info I have at all is Emily Phoebe Maria Rickner born about 1864, died 1919, her father's name is John, I do not have her mum's name. She married my gg grandfather Arthur Henry Weller 2nd Dec 1886 at All Saints Church, Blackheath, Kent. Their children -
1. Ernest
2. Arthur Henry Weller ( my grandfather) b. abt 1892 Blackheath
3. Lillian
4. ?
5. Rhoda Alice b. 1897 Lewisham d. 1903 Bethnal Green

Emily's 2nd husband was Frank Moon b. abt 1875 Goudhurst, they married 23rd Aug 1903 as far as I know they had one child -
Emily Lois R Moon b. 1904 Woolwich

If these are also your family I would love to know more, as I am finding it near impossible to find anymore out, you are actually the first person to get in contact with me regarding this family. So please let me know if we are talking about the same family.
Sue

Posted: 1099823408000
Sue,
I am at work at the moment so cannot give many dates but can fill you in on a few details.
John Rickner b: 1804 married Caroline Dolby b: 1821 their children were as follows: William Henry(died age 0) Charlotte, John(my gg grandfather) Charles, George, Moses, Aaaron, Eli and Emily Phoebe Mary. All Emily's siblings married except Charlotte who died in service at Charlton. They all had families of their own except George who adopted. Their father John died as a pauper of the parish in 1881. His death certificate just states died of old age. Also Moses and Aaron both emigrated to Canada with their wives in 1880. It appears Moses wife died and he returned. Aaron went on to be naturalized as a citizen in New York in 1908. His wife was twelve when she married him and he was 28. They both died in New York in 1930s.
My John then married Emily Trussler from Frensham, Surrey
whilst he was a soldier in the Royal Horse Artillery. They had the children mentioned in my first message. Their is no registration for my g grandfathers birth as we believe he was born in Ireland where John was stationed with the army. I am awaiting a copy of the army certificate to give me confirmation of date of birth. Should arrive this week. John and Emily had a daughter Emily in 1873 but she died whilst in service at Charlton close to her Aunt Charlotte age about 22. Did your Emily move over from Essex to Blackheath to be in service I wonder. Most Rickner's on the 1871, 1881,1891, 1901 are our ancesters. Also the name is German and in this country not a common one. All this is from memory so I might have missed a point or two but I am sure they are the same families.
Back to work for me.
Diane

Posted: 1099887056000
Hi Diane,
What you just sent me is mind blowing, it sounds like it has to be the same family, I'd love to hear more when you have some spare time. Really all I can tell you is that Emily (my gg grandmother married my gg grandfather Arthur Henry Weller. Their 2nd eldest child also Arthur Henry my grandfather came to Australia,( I still have to find out the exact details on this) and he married my grandmother Mary Agnes Martin 30/10/1922 at St Francis Church, Albion St, Sydney. As far as anyone knows Arthur Henry came to Australia without his family, so they are still in England somewhere, I have no idea where. I was wondering where the name Rickner originated from so thanks for filling me in on it being German, apparently Weller is a German name also. I will fill you in more later. This has opened up a new door for me as I was really stuck. Look forward to hearing from you again soon.
Sue

Posted: 1100258618000
Hello Sue,
Just a line to say thanks for the information on Emily, I have now added her information to the family tree.
Please don't hesitate to contact me regarding the Rickner side if I you think I can be of any help.
Have you looked at the 1901 census, Emily is stated as a domestic cook at Charlton. Her sister Charlotte was also a cook in Charlton and their niece Caroline was a housemaid in Charlton. When I get the time I will try to track their steps.
Regards, Diane

Posted: 1100259530000
Surnames: Rickner/Weller
Thanks Diane,
I didn't know any of that, anything you can send regarding the Rickner's no matter how trivial you may think it is will be appreciated would you know of someone who may have some old photo's of any of them.Do you live in England, if so where abouts, if you don't mind me asking. I live in Bundaberg QLD Australia. Are their many of our Rickners left, I'd love to find out as much history as I can on them. I will try & have a look at the 1901 census. Thanks again.
Sue

Posted: 1177103959000
I do not know how this information fits. My Grandmother was Charlotte Annie Rickner born 1880 in Nottingham married my Grandfather Joseph Trussler Oct.2,1901. He was possibly born in Sherbrooke Quebec but his father Benjamin Trussler was from Rowledge Farnam, Surrey, born 1845. I do not know much about my Grandmother . Think she had a brother Walter that had emigrated to North America and lived in Rochester New York at one time. Good Luck with this puzzle.

Anne

Posted: 1177119612000
Surnames: Rickner
Hi Anne,
Thankyou for the message, I would really like to correspond with you about the Rickner/Trusler families. You can e-mail me direct at mitchsue_65@hotmail.com
We may be able to help each other fill in a few gaps.
Regards
Sue

Posted: 1177464996000
Dear Diane

I have been looking at all the messages re: Trussler/Ricknerand your message had the most information. My Grandmother was Charlotte Annie Rickner, daughter of Aaron Rickner and Ellen Barker. Charlotte was born in England ( I have Nottingham) but thatmay be wrong. Ellen Died in 1890 at 29 years of age. My grandmother was born in 1880. Aaron must have remarried and had another family as my grandmother had to look after csome of the young ones. I heard about an Uncle Walter that lived in Rochester and we (my aunt, cousin and myself) think he was a half brother. I have been to Sherbrooke Quebec and to the cemetery and there is a stone there with inscription saying "Ellen Barker wife of Aaron Rickner, Died March 9, 1890 age 29 yrs. Below that is Florence Ruth their youngest daughter died Aug.23, 1890 age 6months. I know there were family members of grandmother in Rochester because I heard the stories of visits to Rochester. There is also a stone with the inscription Ellen Baker, wife of Moses Rickner, Born in Sussex England Feb.14 1851. died Sherbrooke, Que Dec 5, 1898. I hope this makes sense. I really haven't done any work on the Rickner family so was quite interested to read your notes. I had twin brothers that died as babies and one was named Bruce Rickner .
Hope I hear from you sometime. Where do you live. I am now in Maryland but grew up in Canada.

Anne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic