Search for content in message boards

1833 or 1834 Utica City Directory Online?

1833 or 1834 Utica City Directory Online?

Posted: 1566233368000
Classification: Query
Does anyone know if the 1833 or 1834 Utica City directories are online anywhere? I found the 1832 directory digitized on familysearch but can't seem to find the 1833 or 34. I know they are on microfilm at my nearest FHL but I thought I would try to save myself a trip if I could. Thanks.

Re: 1833 or 1834 Utica City Directory Online?

Posted: 1570897438000
Hi,

Did you do a Google search for them?

Utica Public Library, www.uticapubliclibrary.org/adults/genealogy/ has Utica City Directories from 1817. I don't know if they'll do lookups or not.
Successful Searching!
(3rd attempt to post reply)

Posted: 1570910567000
Thanks for the reply. I searched all over google, familysearch, hathitrust, internet archive, public library websites, county genealogical societies, etc. I could only find references to those directories as existing in microfilm at specific archives/libraries, never a web link or anything. I know at some point I’ll make another trip to the nearest FHL it’s a little out of the way so I try to avoid it if I can.

I’ve been having issues trying to post on the message boards for years, I really wish ancestry would do something to fix it.

Posted: 1571099047000
The Onondaga County Public Library in Syracuse has an 1832 directory. You could probably email their reference department for a lookup.

Posted: 1571099954000
Several newspapers for Oneida County, New York, including Utica are available from that time period. What exactly are you trying to find? Info may be in the newspapers...

Posted: 1571150092000
Surnames: Masset, Masseth
I’m trying to find some reference of my 4x great grandparents, Francis Xavier and Mary Ann Masseth. They arrived in America from Alsace Lorraine on 11 June 1832. An old family tree from the 1970s lists their infant daughter Catherine as dying in August 1832 in Utica and their son Ignatius being born in September 1832 in Utica.

They later came to Rochester, NY where they spent the rest of their lives. Family lore claims they came to Rochester upon immediately coming to America but I can’t find a record of them in Rochester until 1837-1838. They had another child in 1836 who doesn’t show up in Rochester baptisms as well. I’m thinking they may have been in Utica during this time.

They were catholic so I’m interested in the early Catholic Church records in Utica as well. I’m assuming there were only one or two parishes there during that time but I know that names can change over time so I’m not sure what the original name of the church was or where those records might be found.

They’re a bit hard to track because “Francis Xavier Masseth” often appeared using only his middle name and showed up as “Havern” or “Hav” or Frank X on some documents. His surname also showed up as Masset or Masett, and variations of that.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic