Search for content in message boards

Wicks (Weekes) family

Wicks (Weekes) family

Posted: 946900800000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1077481284000
Surnames: Lytle, Miller, Welch, McElhenny, Snee, Wicks

WEEKES – WICKS : JEFFERSON TWP. ALLEGHAENY CO, PA
I am a Direct Descendent of Thomas Wicks (WEEKS, WICKES, etc.) born in 1612 (my records say 1609) in England. I am just beginning to research this family line, and only have rudimentary data written down by hand from an elderly aunt (ELLA WICKS of Finleyville - western PA)
She provided the descendency by the following
gen 1. Thomas Weeks born 1609
gen 2. Thomas Weeks born 1650
gen 3. Joseph Wicks married Hannah Lewis
gen 4 Daniel Wicks b 1721 d 1784, married Rebecca Wood
gen 5. Silas Wicks b 1758 Sepagiticoke (spelling??) near Albany NY was a blacksmith. later moved to Pittsburgh
married Elizabeth Ruscoe / Roscoe
gen 6 JAMES Silas Wicks b. 1821 - d 1890. married Sarah Jane (Ferree) Snee
gen 7. JOHN SNEE WICKS b. 1854. Gill hall, Jefferson Township, Allegheny Co. PA. He married Luzerne Lytle, and had several children. Ella Mae, Maude, Walter and Edgar Wicks. I have more infor on these. Maude Wicks (Charleroi PA, Washington Co.) was my grandmother on my father's side.
I know there are many Wickes / Wicks in Western PA. Do these match yours? If so, I'd love to share info, as I have just begun researching.
Do you have information on the early lines of Thomas Wicks to share??

Nicholas J. and Philmena WICK

Posted: 948715200000
Edited: 993229924000
Surnames: WICK, Cartwright, Lang, Richards, Boles, Steinkirchner, Kroger, Fry, Schmitt, Dorn
Nicholas Wick died in New Castle, PA he has a brother who was a Cath. priest in MD... Nicholas is buried beside his wife Philmena [if spelled correct] WICK in St. Mary's Cemetery Sharpsburg, PA . My Mother always talked about her Aunt Minnie Wick, she lived in New Castle, my Mother was raised in Sharpsburg, PA.. I am looking for Philmena's maiden name ?
I ties to LANG, Steinkirchner, Boles, Dorn, Richards, Schmitt, Fry, Kroger

Thankyou,
Patty Simpkins Cartwright
707 Oak St.
New Castle, PA 16101

Wicks Snee families

Posted: 948801600000
Edited: 1085694931000
Surnames: Wicks, Snee
Your generation 6, James Wicks b.1821 d. 1890 is connected to my line through wife Sarah Jane Snee b.1824 d. 1890. Notice that her maiden name was Snee, and not Ferree. It was Sarah Jane's mother who was a Ferree. (I have their children and dates if you are interested). Let me know if you are interested in Sarah Jane's line. I would be happy to give you any info. All my lines are from Jefferson Twp., Allegheny County.

WICKS, etc.

Posted: 949406400000
Edited: 1077481284000
Surnames: WICKS, WELCH, McELHENNY, MILLER, LYTLE
Thanks for the info. My WICKS line was all protestant. Settled in the Gill Hall, and FInleyville area (buried in Finleyville)

Re: Wicks (Weekes) family

Doris J. Quigley (View posts)
Posted: 1011501395000
I have some background on Sarah Jane Snee (whose mother was Sarah Ferree). Sarah Jane had two brothers Thomas and Joel who died young. Their mother Sarah Ferree was married to John Snee, she died Jan 3, 1875, buried at Gill Hall (PA). John Snee born 1793 - son of Thomas and Nancy (Keys) Snee (one of 11 children), died July 27, 1842, buried at Gill Hall. Thamas and Nancy Snee arrived in Philadelphia from Donel County, Ireland in 1791. I am decended from another of their sons - Jeremiah.

Posted: 1021772862000
I am related to John Snee of Gill Hall, PA. I would very much like to correspond. My e-mail is MORINELLO1@aol.com.

Posted: 1021814880000
Edited: 1111026575000
Surnames: beam,snee,work
Doris - I am descended from two of the children of Thomas and Nancy (Keyes sp?) Snee. Nancy Snee married Elijah Beam and George Snee married Sarah Work. I think you will find many of Jeremiah Snee's children buried in Cannonsburg, Pa. Would love to hear from you. Kathy Bentley klangkamp@hotmail.com

Re: Fry, Frye

Posted: 1034721359000
Edited: 1067654174000
I was wondering since you were doing FRY Research if you have ever come across this FRY/FRYE:
Raymond (Ray?) FRY/FRYE? born around 1905 -1910?
I have to estimate so the age/birth could be off. He was my half uncle. His bio mother was Mary M. HAMMOND FRYE,born 1884 and she was my grandma. She married to Wallace Merl FRYE in 1905 and they divorced 1910 in New Castle,PA Lawrence County. Each remarried. Don't know who raised Raymond. I am thinking the one I found in orphanage might have been him...sounds right. Anyway, he was suppose to live around Pgh somewheres. His bio father, Wallace Merl FRYE died 1927 and at that time was married to a Phoebe Sitsinger and two children surviving: Jean and Madeline. Now Raymond visited his mother when he was grown and did get to know his half siblings including my mom..he was married and the last they knew he moved around Pgh somewhere and they never heard anymore and no one could find him. From researching obits , his grandparents would have been Edward FRYE & Irene Ella/Ellen HAYS FRYE/FRY. and gr grandparents of his would be Daniel & Caroline FRY. And other children (aunts & uncles to Raymond) born to Edward & Irene Ella were: Frank, Charles L. & Daisy FRYE. I just want to know more about my uncle. Thank you...Photo of him enclosed as attachment.
Attachments:

Posted: 1518976525000
Surnames: wicks, ferree
I am a decendent of James Silas Wicks. you are decended from his son John Snee Wicks, while I am decedended from his older brother Silas Monroe Wicks, born in 1852, who had a son John Oliver Wicks in 1880, who had a son John Oliver Wicks Jr in 1922 who was my father. I was born Judith a Wicks in 1947.

I have information on the Ferrees. James Silas Wicks married Sarah Jane Ferree Snee and the Ferree's a founded the town of Paradise, Pa. in around 1713. They were French Hugenots who fled religious persecution. the husband was killed and the wife, Madame Maria Ferree and her 5 grown children went to London to buy land from William Penn -2000 Acres in Lancaster co - and sailed over here in something like 1701, went first to New paltz, ny, where her oldest son Phillip Ferree ( our ancestor) married Leah DuBois, whose parents founded New Paltz (also French Hugenots) and Leah came with the Ferrees to Lancaster co where they founded Paradise. I have been to the graveyard where they are buried. I have more about this if you dont already know.
I am looking for more info on the Wicks between Thomas the pioneer and James Silas wicks. And more about Thomas in England. Do you know his story?
I live in Philadelphia, but grew up in Pittsburgh. my phone is 215-901-8817. My regular email is judy@judywicks.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic