Search for content in message boards

Hill Families of the Mohawk

Hill Families of the Mohawk

Posted: 995951294000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1065547087000
Surnames: Hill, Claus, Barnhart
Aaron Oseragighte and his wife, Margaret, and Isaac Anoghsookte and his wife, Elizabeth, became the progenitors of the Mohawk families HILL. It is said that they took the name from the location of their homes which were on a hill overlooking the Mohawk River .

I would like to find out if the Hill ancestors for which I am looking were from these families. I understand that Catherine, the wife of Dow Aronhaha Claus may have been a Hill. Deborah, the wife of George Barnhart, was also a Hill. Both were born sometime around the turn of the nineteenth century. They were Mohawks, probably from around near Deseronto or Tyendinaga, Ontario.

Re: Hill Families of the Mohawk

Carol Miller (View posts)
Posted: 999888922000
Surnames: Hill, Bannister
I am looking for information about my grandfather, George Hill, belonging to the Mohawk of Tyendinaga (Bay of Quite). Born late 1800's, married to Edna Ethel Bannister. Member of Bear clan.

Tracy (View posts)
Posted: 1054048516000
Surnames: Hill, Bannister
I have an obit regarding your message if you still need it

CLMiller (View posts)
Posted: 1054425889000
Surnames: Hill, Bannister, Williams
Yes, still seeking information regarding the name Bannister originating from the Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte...Specifically George Bannister born Jan 21, 1816 married to Margaret Williams of Tyendinaga. Father of Margaret was Sampson Williams.

Tracy (View posts)
Posted: 1054608855000
Well, here is what I have, I hope something is useful

Johanna Hill married Rueben Bannister . She died Aug 23 1927 at age 29. She and her parents Mr and Mrs John Hill were of the Tyendinaga Resereve. She Had 5 children Bernice Olive Mary Percy and Roy, 2 brothers John and William.

Posted: 1157395207000
We recently visited in Prince Edward County searching for our Catherine Hill who married a Thomas Keeler in Pincton in 1836. We were informed that Hill was a common name in the early 1800's assigned by Methodist clergy to Mohawk indians converting to the faith. We are still looking for confirmation/refutation for our Catherine R. Hill.
This may be the origin of your Hill.

Posted: 1267942806000
Hello, I am connected to the Hill family that you speak of through Joseph Hill, Born in 1814 in Marysburg to David Hill and Annie Hicks. I am interested in possible native connections to this family.
Thank you,
Tom.

Posted: 1267980519000
Tom, Thanks for your posting. We have no information on the parents or national origin of our Catherine Hill. The information we do have indicates that she was born 06 Feb, 1816 in Marysburg. She joined the Methodist faith in 1834. Her marriage banns to Thomas Keeler were posted in Picton in 1836. The family moved to the U.S. in 1865.
Judging by her birth date she could have been a sister to your Joseph Hill. Do you have any information to indicate that fact?
We know that Catherine Hill was a name frequently used when Native American females were baptized into the Methodist religion. If she is part of your family, than she probably was "not" Native American by birth.

Posted: 1463680701000
Hi Carol I lost your email address. I need some questions answered in regards to Doreen Please email me at
patriciacarson6@gmail.com Patricia Hill Carson

Posted: 1509367700000
Dow's wife was likely a Penn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic