Search for content in message boards

William McCleave/McClave (1750-1803), Hackinsak

William McCleave/McClave (1750-1803), Hackinsak

Posted: 1034736766000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1036641425000
Surnames: McClave McCleave McCleaf Hoffman
Looking for ancestors and descendents of William McCleave/McClave (1750-1803). Married Mary/Maria Hoffman (1752-1828) in Hackinsack, Dutchess Co, NY in 1774. Both buried in Duanesburg, NY. Children: John, Esther, Mary, Michael, Charles, James, Catherine, Elizabeth, & Margaret.

Mary/Maria Hoffman's father was Michael Hoffman, d. about 1792 in Fishkill. Michael had a brother, Jurrrien, who married Maria McClave in 1753, probably in Fishkill.

Any information would be appreciated, Thanks.

Re: William McCleave/McClave (1750-1803), Hackinsak

Frank J. Doherty (View posts)
Posted: 1035051472000
Surnames: McLeave, Irwin

John McLeave took a lease in the Beekman Patent in Dutchess as early as 1738 and I believe he is the father of the McLeaves that married into the Hoffmans. Another dau. Elizabeth m. William Irvin and a John Jr. is also in the records. When John McLeave took the lease one of the (three) lives was John Stewart, son of George Stewart. When Mary McLeave married she was noted as "of Milbury, lives Oswego", (Oswego was a part of the Beekman Patent, presently town of Union Vale, DC.)

Re: William McCleave/McClave (1750-1803), Hackinsak

Posted: 1035060549000
Edited: 1036641425000
Frank, Thanks for the information. "McLeave" is a new spelling for me (although I should have expected it as I have found McClaves in the census under "McLave"). I have seen references to the "Beekman Patent" before, but I don't really know what it is. Was it a land sales listing or a book about the area or what?
Where can I find these records on the McLeaves? I live in upstate NY and have been planning on going to Dutchess Co one of these days to do some research.
Are you a descendant of this John McLeave?
What do you mean when you said "When John McLeave took the lease one of the (three) lives was John Stewart..."

Thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic