Search for content in message boards

McLatchie - New Cumnock

McLatchie - New Cumnock

Posted: 1051395654000
Classification: Query
Surnames: MCLATCHIE, WYLLIE, SEATON, HADDOW, HUNTER, ROBERTSON
Looking for b/m/d information on Margaret MCLATCHIE (b ~ 1810) in New Cumnock, married Robert WYLLIE (b ~1803) of Durisdeer in ~1830 in Kirkconnel.

They had two children I know of so far, Joanna WYLLIE my gggrandmother (b 1839, d 1877) and Robert WYLLIE (b 1856).

Joanna married Thomas Seaton my gggrandfather in Kirkconnel then they moved to New Cumnock, Connelpark and raised their family.

Thanks.

Al, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Re: McLatchie - New Cumnock

Brenda Turner (View posts)
Posted: 1059280324000
Surnames: McLatchie
Hello, Al. I am descended from the McLatchie clan which emmigrated to Canada circa 1820, and settled in Lanark, near Perth Ontario. Later they moved on to the West Templeton Quebec area, when they discovered that the 100 acre lots they were granted couldn't support them.

The family history relates that during the McLatchie's journey to Upper Canada they stayed with a family member on the St. Lawrence River before heading inland. That would have been Robert McLatchie (28 Jan. 1789 - 7 June 1847) and his wife Jane (or Jean) Hunter (29 march 1793 - 11 Apr. 1867), who lived in Grenville County, Ontario.

Are those your relations?

Brenda Turner

Posted: 1059315236000
Edited: 1070657989000
Surnames: Hunter, Campbell
Hi Brenda;
I'm wondering if you know any more information about Jean or Jane Hunter. My Hunter connections came from Paisley/
Glasgow, Scotland, in the early 1800s and settled in Leeds and Grenville counties with some going to the Perth area. My earliest Hunter is Robert (1769 - 1856) who married Elizabeth Campbell (unknown). Both died in Ontario.

Thanks for any help.
Jean

Al Hunter (View posts)
Posted: 1059336272000
Hi Brenda, I don't have a Jane/Jean HUNTER born in 1793, the closest is a Janet HUNTER b:1813 in Penpont, Dumfriesshire.

Do you know which part of Scotland your Jane/Jean came from?

I also haven't started on the MCLATCHIE branch yet since I've been focusing on my main HUNTER Line.

Al,

Rearching: HUNTER, HADDOW, ROBERTSON, SEATON, WYLLIE.

Posted: 1059340607000
Edited: 1080509884000
Surnames: Hunter, McClatchie
I have Christian McClatchie married to Adam Hunter I suspect about 1793 - Adam came from Prestwick.

I am pretty sure Christian's parents were Richard McClatchie and Christian Baird from Coylton.

Duncan

Kim Barkley (View posts)
Posted: 1157227698000
Surnames: McLatchie Hunter
My GG grandfather was Robert McLatchie. He was married to Jane Hunter who was the daughter of Andrew Hunter and Janet Spiers. Robert and Jane had at least 2 sons, named James and Thomas who both married and settled in eastern Ontario. James married Margaret Dooley and lived in Cardinal Ontario and Thomas McLatchie married Mary Elizabeth Fairgray and lived near Spencerville Ontario.

Kim Barkley (View posts)
Posted: 1157229727000
Surnames: McLatchie Hunter Spiers Crawford
The information that was given to me by Donald McLatchie of Jefferson Texas states that this Robert McLatchie was born Jan. 28, 1789 at Old Cumnock, Ayrshire and died June 7, 1847 in Grenville County Ontario. He was married to Jean or Jane Hunter, born March 29, 1793, daughter of Andrew Hunter and Janet Spiers or Speirs, and died April 11, 1867 in Grenville County Ontario. Robert was the son of John Mclatchie born 1737 at Ayshire and died August 1797 at Old Cumnock Ayrshire. John was married to Janet Crawford in Feb 1770 at Old Cumnock. Janet was born 1750 and died 1800. There were 8 children from this union. I am descended at least twice from the union of Robert McLatchie and Jane Hunter. My paternal line comes from their son Thomas and my maternal line comes from their son James. If you have any history of the McLatchie family while still in Scotland, I would appreciate it. Especially any clan or tartan information.

marilynorem (View posts)
Posted: 1157280691000
Hi, McClatchy comes from Latchie meaning latch. I have it back to 1152 and that at one time the sherrif of Air was McClatchy. Also, they became Planters. Spellings were changed randonly way back and often referred to something around them at the time.

Duncan (View posts)
Posted: 1157282921000
Surnames: McClatchie
Hi there,

You don't happen to have my Christina (Christian) (b c1770)daughter of Richard & Christian Baird who married Adam Hunter. Richard also had a son John (b c1773).

Regards

Duncan

Posted: 1272409135000
Hi Brenda, that is my group of McLatchie's and a very interesting piece of information.

Thanks!

Kim
per page

Find a board about a specific topic