Search for content in message boards

Mariah Wood Evans

Mariah Wood Evans

Cassandra Skipper (View posts)
Posted: 1062449888000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1062521814000
Surnames: Wood, Rogers, Tyler, Evans, Lewis, Hemings
Searching for infromation on Hanna Wood b. bet. 1779-1790. She had a daughter by plantation owner Dr. James B. Rogers. The child's name was Mariah Wood who worked on David and Mildred Wood's plantation. Maria became the mistress of David Wood and had the following children by him; Carley, Robert, Nathaniel Link, Calvin (b. 9/3/1852 in Earlysville, Va., and died 2/17/1928, he married Ada Virginia Cave Tyler, and a daughter named Mary. Mariah later married Perkins Evans and the children took his last name. I pretty sure that Mariah and Perkins has at least two children together. Hannah's mother was a Cherokee Indian captured by Nicholas Lewis, father of Meriweather Lewis of the Lewis and Clark Expidention.

Also searching for informantion on one of Calvin's brother, Nathaniel Link Evans married a great-great-great-granddaughter of Betty Hemmings, mother of Sally Hemmings.

Please email me at C_Skipper@msn.com

God Bless,
Cassandra

Re: Mariah Wood Evans

Cassandra Skipper (View posts)
Posted: 1062451934000
Edited: 1062521841000
Surnames: Lewis
Merriweather Lewis's father was William Lewis

Posted: 1270111350000
Calvin and Ada are my great-great grandparents. This website has some information about our family. I've been told that Mariah herself was full-blooded Cherokee. http://www.centralvirginiahistory.org/bleakhouse.shtml

Kathryn Lewis

Posted: 1270111468000
We also have a picture of Mariah if you're interested.

Posted: 1270123966000
11. CALVIN5 EVANS/IVANS/IVENS/IVINS (MARIAH/MARIA/MARY4 WOOD(S), HANNAH3, CHEROKEE2 INDIAN, BIGGERS1) was born 1852, and died 1928. He married ADA VIRGINIA CAVE TYLER July 04, 1876 in Ruckersville, Va..
Notes for CALVIN EVANS/IVANS/IVENS/IVINS:
From the records of James D. Evans: Calvin was born 9/3/1852 on the plantation owned by Dr. Jame B. Rogers in Earlysville, Va., a small town about nine or ten miles form Charlottesville. His mother, Mariah was the daughter of Hannah Wood, who was from the plantation of David and Mildred Wood. Calvin's father is listed on the census form of 1870 as Perkins Evans but from what Calvin told his children, he and his siblings were fathered by Dr. Rogers. In 1837, Dr. Rogers purchased property and built a new home. He called it "Bleak House", and this new property is where Calvin was born. I haven't yet positively identified the location of the previous Rogers home but it is belived that it was the property that Dr. Rogers sold to his oldest son, Charles, who was also a doctor. An interesting note is that Calvin eventually brought a large piece of this property. Calvin said that serveral of his older siblings had been given away (not sold) to the owners relatives and friends who lived in the North. One of his stories was that he had been given to one of the owner's brothers and his wife who was visiting just before the Civil War began. But when they got to Charlottesville to catch a train that would take them to Washington, D.C., and then to their Philadelphi home, he decided that he wasn't going. He said he raised such a fuss, crying so hard, that afraid of attracting attention, they let him go and he ran all the way back to Earlysville. He said that his first job on the plantation was standing at the dinne table with a long handled fan when he was four or five years old and keeping the flies away from the food. Another story that Calvin told his children was that he learned to read and write by hiding outside the window of the room where the tutor instructed the master's children and scratching what he learned in the dirt with a stick.
Notes for ADA VIRGINIA CAVE TYLER:
Daughter of Caucasion man and Nellie Neal.
I got this information from my cousin who is a reseacher: From the records of James D. Evans: She was fathered by a white man before her mother married Wash. Tyler. I have no name for him. I also haven't been able to trace Wash. Taylor or find reference to Ada's mother, Nellie, before her marriage. Calvin and Ada were married in Ruckersville, Va., on July 4, 1876 with his brother, Nathaniel, as his best man.
Sources: My Tree.com: Funeral service were conducted my Rev. J.D. Woodfolk, Pastor of the Second Baptist Church of Hinton, WV., assisted by Rev. Mitchell of Beckley, WVa. One of the founders of the Second Baptist Church in 1883. Also, I am confused about information I have as far as Mariah's mother and siblings.

Posted: 1270124544000
I would love to have a picture of her.

Posted: 1270127345000
My grandmother was the oldest child of Calvin's son Ross and she was pretty much raised by Calvin and Ada. The story about Calvin running back to Earlysville is very familiar to me. My Great-Uncle Jimmy (James D. Evans?) is currently researching the Bleak House history and trying to find out exactly what went on between the Rogers, Woods, and Evans connection. We also have audio recordings of my great-grandfather relating the family history. I do believe that Calvin was Rogers' son. And as for her mother, the story I've been told is that either Mariah or Hannah (I can't remember) were sent with Margaret Wood as property after her marriage to Rogers. But I'm curious about your interest - are we related? If so, I'm Marion's granddaughter and Evan's daughter, Kate.

The attached pictures are Mariah (I actually found this one on ancestry.com, but I think our version of it is clearer) and Calvin's son Ross
Attachments:

Posted: 1270131347000
My cousin James Evans lives in Cleveland, Ohio and he is a researcher. He had a friend who's name I can't remember off had (who has passed) was over the Genealogy Research of Va. Evans and Biggers are related, I am a Biggers. I started the Biggers Evans reunion in Va/Wva. back in 2002. I really need you to contact me by email at C_Skipper@msn.com that way I can send you the family tree. I just finished my fathers family tree book and just began to work again the the Biggers/Evans family tree book, which is my mother's side, so I have a lot of photos of the Biggers and Evans family. The photo of Mariah that you sent me, I have, my cousin James Evans sent me. I also have an Biggers face book which includes a lot of photos of the Evans family members, let me know if you are on face book and I will invite you to join.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic