Search for content in message boards

Who was Ziba Gibson?

Who was Ziba Gibson?

Posted: 1168256898000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1169403835000
Surnames: gibson, macgregor, mackenzie
To all who claim descend from Ziba Gibson. Who was Ziba Gibson? Ziba Gibson has been a hard fellow to find. Many branches from Ziba have the tradition that Ziba Gibson was a MacGregor. I descend from the Ziba Gibson through my mother from Ziba'a son Nelson Gibson. It was also a tradition in my family that we were not alway Gibson but were Mac? something. I had my uncle(mother's brother) submit his a DNA sample to FTDNA. The results so far show no matches with any MacGregors. But on the other hand his sample has matched over 28 MacKenzies 12/12 or 11/12. The 12/12 match indicate 55% for a commom ancestor in 4 generations up to a 98% for a common ancestor in 24 generations. Now the name MacKenize is interesting considering that my gg grandfather was Nelson MacKenzie Gibson. Also Nelson Gibson, son of Ziba Gibson, daughter married a MacKenzie. My research has revealed that the my Gibsons were fond of marrying cousins. (a common trait among Scot-Irish). I hope my research will be of benefit to all the researchers of the Ziba Gibson line. Please contact me at cwnscott@sbcglobal.net if you have any comments or questions. Please consider having your DNA tested if you are a male Gibson.
Thanks,
Ernest Knoxie Johnson

David Gibson m. Mary Hensley - KY

Posted: 1168263693000
Edited: 1169403912000
Surnames: gibson, mckenzie, hensley
Hi

I believe the David Gibson family had the story in the family that they were really McKenzie - He married Mary Hensley and I think they were in Clay and Letcher Counties Kentucky. But it seems when I checked the Gibson DNA David's line has been tested but didn't match Ziba?

Interesting?

Joanne

Re: David Gibson

Posted: 1168299488000
Edited: 1169403958000
Surnames: gibson
Hi Joanne,
Thanks for your reply. Yes I looked at David's results and what pedigree he posted. He definitely doesn't match the Ziba Gibson line. I also noticed his haplogroup is I1a which would normally indicate Norse ancestry. The Ziba Gibson clan was speaking gaelic when they arrived in America in the early 1700s according to what was passed down. Of course there was a mixture between the Norse and Celts in the western Isles and Ireland.My line back to the Nelson, son of Ziba is well documented. My uncle's results indicate a haplogroup of R1b, with the Atlantic modal markers. But as you said this is all very interesting. Thank you for your message.
Ernest

Gibson DNA database

Posted: 1168387981000
Edited: 1169403993000
Surnames: Gibson
I would like to know more about this database of Gibson DNA. I have a distant cousin that may be willing to add his sample.

Thanks,
Carole

Re: Gibson DNA database

Posted: 1168402574000
Edited: 1169404061000
Surnames: gibson
Great Carole,
Go to http://www.familytreedna.com Click on Surname Projects. Then go to G and you will find the Gibson project. Just follow the links. Let me know what your project number ends up being. I will email you some more information in a bit.
Ernest

Posted: 1168483531000
Edited: 1169404137000
Thanks, Ernest.

Carole

New email address

Posted: 1168536339000
Edited: 1169404438000
Surnames: Gibson, Ziba
Scott - new email address for me - ltlwolf@earthlink.net -- need to talk to you - computer problems

Misty

Posted: 1492568149000
Ernest - this is many years later and you may never see this, but thought it worth a try. I was looking at the familytreedna website as my dad would be willing to do the Ydna for the Gibson project, but everything looks so outdated - is this project still ongoing and active? He has done the ancestry dna, but I am having trouble tracing our line back past his 2nd ggf on the Gibson line (with actual documentation anyway). I am curious if the dna results may help me rule out a few of the possibilities. One of the two most likely lines leads back to Ziba through Nelson.

Posted: 1492594482000
There is a descendant of Nelson's results in the project

https://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/gibson/results

Posted: 1492623730000
Hi,
Got your message this morning. Yes I believe the Gibson has been in a state of inactivity. My maternal grandfather descends from Nelson Gibson, the suppose son of a Ziba Gibson I have research this Gibson line for many years. I have also conducted dna research that has confirmed the Nelson Gibson line does not relate to any main stream Gibson line which confirmed the family tradition that Gibson was not the original surname. If you are interested I would like to share my dna research with you and hopefully help you identify your branch. My email address is gaelstar@att.net. Look forward to sharing.
Ernest
per page

Find a board about a specific topic