Search for content in message boards

Hunter's of New Cumnock

Hunter's of New Cumnock

Posted: 1042055077000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hunter
Hello:
I'm trying to link my grandfather (James Robertson Hunter/born Aug 26, 1888/married Gladys Jean Seaton/Nov 25, 1910) to my great grandfather.
I have four potential so far:
- James Hunter/born ??/married Jane Purdie/Oct 25, 1846
- James Hunter/born Jul 2, 1859/married ??
- James Whitefield Hunter/born Feb 8, 1860/married ??

Any assistance would be appreciated

Re: Hunter's of New Cumnock

Bobby Guthrier (View posts)
Posted: 1042413012000
Hello Al,
What is the connection with New Cumnock ? Was your grandfather born there ? all the best, bob guthrie
http://www.new-cumnock.co.uk

Posted: 1042430775000
Hi Bob, yes my grandparents and father were born in New Cumnock.

Al

Posted: 1335446211000
hi i know this was written along time ago now but was wondering if you ever got your answer i am looking into my own history and have also gotten back to old cummnock and the names james hunter and jane purdie they are my great great great great grandparents i information on their two daughters, i also have the names and dates of jane purdies sister parents and grandparents if this would be any use to you.
karin

Posted: 1335496672000
Hi Karin,

Thanks very much for the reply.

Unfortunately all of my Hunter ancestors I've found to date lived in New Cumnock so suspect that we don't have a common link.

I also checked and have found no Purdie's in the family tree so far.

If in your further research you find some Hunter's in New Cumnock please let me know.

Al

Posted: 1335522972000
My Hunters from New Cumnock start with James born 1699 to John Hunter & Margaret Howatson. James married Janet Purdie or Proudie. They had 8 children born between 1736 and 1756 - John, Samuel, Mary, James, Nicolas, Mary, Jean & William. All were born at "Farding" in New Cumnock. I'm descended from William who married Mary Speir in Fenwick.
Can anyone tell me where and what Farding is? I guess it was a farm.
Alastair Donald

Re: Hunters of New Cumnock

Posted: 1335537684000
Farding aka Farden or Fardine was a farm. Use Armstrong's 1775 map of Ayrshire on the national library of scotland site - http://maps.nls.uk/joins/797.html
zoom in on New Cumnock and Fardine is a little way south west.
Irene

Posted: 1336790646000
Hi Alastair,

I should have pointed out that my Hunter line (Edward Hunter) were originally from Penpont (earliest ancestor I've found so far is James born 1713, they then moved to Sanquhar in the 1830's, then to New Cumnock/Craigbank in the 1850's and finally to Canada in 1911.

Cheers Al
per page

Find a board about a specific topic