Search for content in message boards

The Oriel family from Pembrokeshire Wales to Trumbell County

The Oriel family from Pembrokeshire Wales to Trumbell County

Posted: 1216765254000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Oriel
Dear All,
Back in 2001 I submitted a query to this board based on my previous 20 years research on the Oriels of Pembrokeshire who had migrated across the pond to Trumbell County. Further research has now lead me to a place called Liberty Township Trumbell County, I can also establish the Oriel's from Pembrokeshire in Warren, Giard and Miners Millborough Luzerne Pennsylvania.
Does anyone have any connection with this family, possibly the Barnes family, and is there a local newspaper through which I can possibly place a letter to help me contact these descendents of this ancient welsh family.
Rgds
Owen Vaughan
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname

Re: The Oriel family from Pembrokeshire Wales to Trumbell County

Posted: 1216774115000
Your inquiry does not give any dates or time frame. But there were Trumbull County deaths in 1919 and 1922 for William Oriel and Rachael Oriel shown in the Ohio Death Certificate Index at www.ohiohistory/org/dindex.

Posted: 1216831678000
That's the family, who migrated from Pembrokeshire via Glamorganshire. There was also their cousin Stephen & Rachel Oriel from Pembrokeshire via Swansea.
I do already have some headstones, it really is descendents I am after.
Mni tks for reply, if you need anything here let me know.
Rgds
Owen Vaughan

Posted: 1216856726000
These are from Family Search death certificates 1908-1953.
http://search.labs.familysearch.org

There don't appear to be any descendants left in Trumbull Co but I'll keep searching for you.

William ORIEL
Born 16 Oct 1844 Carmarthen, Wales
Died 27 Aug 1919 Warren, Trumbull, OH
Buried 30 Aug 1919 Warren, OH Oakwood Cemetery
Spouse name Phoebe ORIEL
Father name Thomas ORIEL, born Wales
Mother name Martha, born Wales

Stephen ORIEL
Born 05 Mar 1873 Wales
Died 21 Jun 1944 Youngstown, Mahoning, OH
Residence Girard, Trumbull, OH
Buried 08 Aug 1942 Liberty Union Cemetery
Spouse name Rachel ORIEL
Mother name Martha THOMAS, born Wales

Phoebe ORIEL
Born 02 Jan 1857 Wales, England
Died 29 Feb 1944 Burnhill, Tusscarawas, OH
Residence Arlington, VA
Buried 03 Mar 1944 Evergreen Burial Park
Spouse name William ORIEL
Father name Phillip POWELL, born Wales, England
Mother name UNKNOWN

Thomas J. ORIEL
Born 05 Mar 1873 Wales
Died 21 Jun 1944 Youngstown, Mahoning, OH
Residence Girard, Trumbull, OH (Liberty Twp is typed on the death certificate but crossed out.)
Buried 24 Jun 1944 Kgirard Liberty Union Cem
Father name Stephen ORIEL, born S Wales
Mother name Rachel Reese, born Wales

Rachel ORIEL (Incorrectly indexed as ONEL)
Born 05 Apr 1843 Wales
Died 07 Feb 1922 Gerard, Trumbull, OH
Buried 10 Feb 1922 Girard Liberty Union Cemetery
Spouse name Stephen ORIEL
Father name Thomas REES, born Wales
Mother name Margaret REES, born Wales

Stephen ORIEL
Born 5 July 1852 South Wales
Died 05 Aug 1942 Girard, Trumbull, OH
Buried 08 Aug 1942 Liberty Union Cemetery
Spouse name Rachel ORIEL
Mother name Martha THOMAS, born Wales

Margaret A. JACOBS
Born 07 Nov 1870 Llwnypid Wales
Died 30 Dec 1945 Girard, Trumbull, OH
Spouse name Isaac JACOBS
Father name Stephen ORIEL
Mother name Rachel REESE

Posted: 1216933728000
Surnames: Oriel
Dear Sir/Madam,
Many tks for your reply, most of the info I have but some is new. There are discrepancies between known fact and info listed.
Stephen Oriel was the only Stephen shown as son of Thomas & Martha Oriel and he was born in 1852 at Merthyr, he mrd Rachel Jones in 1876, yet your info shows her as Rachel Rees. There is no reference or record of a Stephen Oriel born circa 1873 in Wales (or England), and certainly not to Thomas & Martha. However there is a possibility a Stephen Jones was born in that year(see later).
William Oriel born 1844 mrd Jane Cox born 1847 at Penzance Cornwall in 1865 at Merthyr. I can find no reference or record to the mrge of William to Phoebe Powell so must presume this 2nd mrge took place post 1896 in U.S.A.
Thomas J. Oriel was in fact born Thomas J. Jones in 1873 and is correctly identified as (step)son of Stephen & Rachel, maiden name is in fact Jones not Reese.
It is currently possible that Rachel had at least 3 husbands, (currently believe Mr Cox, Mr Jones & Stephen Oriel)she is known to have been born in Apr of 1852 not 1843.
Margaret A. Jacobs was in fact Margaret (or Magie) Oriel who may have been born in Merthyr in 1868, the only other reference is to Margaret A. Jones aged 10 yrs in 1881 step dau to Stephen and Rachel Oriel. I’m pretty sure Margaret A. Jones(Oriel) mrd in the U.S.A., to Isaac B. Jacobs(1864 – 1931), I have a picture of his headstone, but no further info is known on him.
Once again thanks for your assistance, if I can offer anything in return please let me know.
Rgds
Owen Vaughan

Posted: 1216949791000
I would certainly never want to record incorrect information for future researchers so I appreciate your correcting information. But I also hope you noted that this information was from actual death certificates filed with the State of Ohio and not from a transcribed record or someone's potentially erroneous personal file. Presumably the information is given by a family member and I will admit that the information may not always be correct. In the case of William information was given by Philip Oriel (son of William and Phoebe b 1901 and present in census records with them); in the case of Thomas it was given by his wife, Charlotte; and Margaret Oriel Jacobs' information was given by her sister Martha.

Posted: 1217000358000
Surnames: oriel
Dear Sir/Madam,
Far be it for me to even consider that having been kind enough to take the time and trouble to pass the info on that I would think, you would "record incorrect information for future researchers".

I have known for many years that confusion surrounded the Cox's Jones's and Oriel's between Glamorgan and Ohio.

Your helpfull assistance answered questions and created queries. Still is that not the way with this game.

Once again many thanks, after 30+ years searching this surname, Im gratefull for any input.
Rgds
Owen Vaughan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic