1. Put up a public tree with whatever information you feel comfortable showing but with no pictures, stories, etc.- just basic info.
2. Download that public tree into a new FTM file.
3. Use that FTM file and upload it to a private tree- and I mean completely private (i.e. one that won’t even show up in search)
4. Add whatever sources, pictures, stories, etc. to this private tree.
5. Use the public tree to add new people and their basic info and then copy the new people added to the public tree to the private tree and then add sources, pictures, etc.
You can then keep adding to the private tree without having to re-issue invites or worry about the namegatherers grabbing your pictures, etc. and also keep backups of both public and private trees on your computer.
Thanks to Andy Hatchet for describing this workaround on the Ancesty.com blog (http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2009/08/19/family-tree-ma...