Search for content in message boards

BARAGWANATH's of South Africa

BARAGWANATH's of South Africa

Posted: 1142949377000
Classification: Query
I am the grand child of Olando Baragwanath who was the son of John Albert Baragwanath. My great grandfather - if anyone is interested in further information I would be happy to help. Olando's daughter Adelaide (my mother) is 94years old, so she could be help.

Re: BARAGWANATH's of South Africa

Posted: 1149104616000
Edited: 1149193010000
Surnames: Baragwanath
I am very interested in this family link as my ancestor is Richard Baragwanath (1699) married Zenobia Stevens.They were the parents of Matthew(1751) , John(1742) and Richard(1737) I am a descendant of Richard My birth name is Baragwanath.I believe that Orlando is a descendant of Matthew.I would be pleased to have any information

Re: BARAGWANATH's of South Africa/Corwall

Posted: 1180389343000
Surnames: Baragwanath
Since posting the last message I have found out that I am a decendant of John Baragwanath d.o.b 1742 not Richard.I would like to hear from any other Baragwanath,s

Posted: 1196195811000
I knew a family Baragwanath in Lydenburg, Transvaal, in the 1980's. Their son is called Rex (about 40-45 years old now) and they farmed there.

Posted: 1203193049000
Surnames: BARAGWANATH
Graham Dickason writing in his book Cornish Immigrants to SA mentions in PtII south Africa - Natal in the third chapter John Baragwanth and his family on the Lady Bruce in 1850. In the same paragraph he then goes on to mention the two sons John Albert and Orlando. However, what really puzzles me is that he then mentions and I quote 'John Albert often accommpanied his father on voyages, but when it came to the Church the father having to return to England for medical treatment, it was Orlando, the younger son who went along. John did not survive and the young boy was left stranded in England'

My question is 'what on earth has the Church got to do with this episode??????

Any help would be vastly appreciated and, thank you, John

Posted: 1216961942000
Surnames: Baragwanath; Edwards; Lance; Godwin
I am Graham Roy Baragwanath born in Cape Town (1947) to Richard(Dick)Lance Baragwanath(Born Johannesburg 1915) and Carol May Blossom Baragwanath (nee Edwards born Johannesburg 1912). I have two sisters Jennifer Lynette Godwin(nee Baragwanath born Johannesburg 1944) and Rosemary Jane Baragwanath born Cape Town 1953.Our Grandfather was Richard John Baragwanath and Grandmother Mildred Baragwanath nee Lance. It appears however that Richard and Mildred may never have actually married. Mmm!! I am interested in knowing the realtionship of our family branch to Orlando Baragwanath and also what the relationship is to the Lance family which has always seemed a bit mysterious. For the record I am now a Canadian Citizen but permanently resident in the UK and My sister Rosemary is a UK citizen also resident in the UK. Jennifer continues to live in Cape Town. I look forward to receiving any information anyone may have.

Posted: 1217611633000
Although not a member of the Baragwanath family they are more prominent in my childhood than my own family in terms of developing my love of the bush and horsesP. Paul in fact taught me to ride on the farm in the downs at the age of about 4 on a horse called Granite. I still ride and own a horse thanks to him to this day. First meeting Paul (son of Orlando) and Gwen Baragwanath at the age of 6 months on their farm in the Downs above Tzaneen, Limpopo South Africa and spending later years on the farm they relocated to in Lydenburg, . Myself and my brother spend many happy childhood years with Paul and Gwen. I am still in contact (not frequent) with Rex Baragwanath, one of their sons who is now running the farm in Lydenburg. I will be in Pietersburg (Polokwane) again on business in about 6 weeks time and will contact Orrie (son of Paul) brother of Rex who is still living and doing business there apparently. Oddly enough recently asked about them 3 days ago when in Pietersburg on business. Pls feel free to contact me.

Posted: 1230643454000
I believe that I have a photo of you taken by the Sunday Times in 1972 on the occasion of Orrie Baragwanth's 100 birthday celebration. I acquired the photo and a couple of newspaper articles as part of the research into the Baragwanath family tree, originally purely for my own benefit (my mother was Ella Baragwanth) but also as part of the research being carried out by Trevor Hill for Mrs Jean Mooring. I was interested in finding the link between my family and yours.

Eventually I found that my grandfather, William Baragwanth, was the fourth cousin of "Orrie". My great grandparents were the thrice-married John P Baragwanath and Lavina M E Roberts, great great grandparents the twice-married Michael H Baragwanath and Ann ?. Michael H's parents were the St Ives innkeeper Michael Baragwanath and Jennifer Hitchens and Michael's parents were Richard Baragwanath and Ann Quick.

Finding the parents of Orrie's father, John Albert Baragwanath (married to Adelaide Trennery) was not hard, since he was born in 1841. However, he was born in Falmouth (not Redruth as mentioned in a Dictionary of South African Biography). John Albert's parents were twice married John Baragwanath, a sailor, and Elizabeth Trice. Eventually I found the parents of John, the sailor, they were John Baragwanath, a butcher, and Hannah Uren. This butcher was born in St Ives in 1751 to Matthew Baragwanath and Catherine Renowden.

The parents of both your Matthew and my Richard were Richard Baragwanath and Synobia Stevens. Richard's parents were William Baragwanath and Jane Curnow which is where most authoritative Baragwanath family trees start, although some old wills give clues as to earlier families.

You may well have received this information from other sources, in which case my apologies. I received an extensive family tree from Paul Baragwanath in Cheshire via Trevor Hill, although I don't know whether he originally drafted it.

Any news from South Africa, particularly about the current state of the area known as the Downs, would be much appreciated.

Posted: 1230643698000
You may wish to look at the belated reply that I have given to Jean (Jen) Main's previous e-mail. I believe that the research to which I alluded for Mrs Jean Mooring has now been put on the internet by the Australian holder of records.

Posted: 1231268455000
Hi Graham,
I am Robert Barchard. I lived in Cape Town from 1967 'till 1987. During my stay I met and became very goog friends with Rosemary
whom ,I believe, is your sister ?
I live in Surrey UK and would love to make contact with Rosemary , that is if she is the Rosemary Baragwanath that once lived with her parents etc in Pinelands cape Town.
Out of interest I have family in Vancouver so I'm a fequent visitor to Canada.
I am so excited to have found this site and look foreward to hearing from you or Rosemary.
regards
Robert. Barchard
per page

Find a board about a specific topic