Search for content in message boards

irish as "indentured servents" in west indies

irish as "indentured servents" in west indies

Posted: 1307653106000
Classification: Query
I've been reading a bit about how the irish were shipped to the west indies in the 17th and 18th century, essentially as slaves to work in the plantations. But there seems to be little written about it.
Is there any evidence of this in records here, or elsewhere?

Re: irish as "indentured servents" in west indies

Posted: 1307670620000
Edited: 1307670645000
Various thoughts:

What were the sources quoted in the book?

Ancestry.com has the following searchable book:
The Original Scots Colonists of Early America. Caribbean Supplement 1611-1707 [Perhaps this would include Scotch-Irish?]

Your best bet would be census data, but I don't know if/when those were taken.

FamilySearch.org has various records for Caribbean countries that you could search or browse. You would need to use surnames,though -- There doesn't seem to be a way to search by birth place.

The Digital Library of the Caribbean might have something...http://dloc.com

Posted: 1307671510000
More thoughts:

Ancestry.com has various resources/books if you search their card catalog for:

Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba; Bahamas; Barbados; Bermuda; Cayman Islands; Jamaica; Martinique; Netherlands Antilles; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and the Grenadines; St Pierre and Miquelon; Trinidad and Tobago; Turks and Caicos Islands; Virgin Islands, West Indies

Posted: 1307671664000
Search Irish "West Indies" at wwww.worldcat.org and you'll find lots of books on the subject.

Your library could probably get some of these for you via InterLibrary Loan.

Posted: 1307732930000
Thanks for the reply.
I purchased a book that hasn't arrived yet, titled "To Hell or Barbados: The Ethnic Cleansing of Ireland", which takes on the subject of Irish political prisoners under Cromwell being enslaved and sent to the West Indies to work the English plantations. It is a fascinating subject that I hadn't read anything about before. Being of Irish decent, I want to know more about this seemingly overlooked and under reported event in history.

Posted: 1307733536000
I'd never heard of this in history either. It does sound fascinating!

Posted: 1307878201000
That is a fascinating and in some ways horrifying book. It serves to confirm that the English treated their 'first colony' at least as badly as all the later ones. However, it does not have a lot of genealogy in it, especially for Barbados. My impression is that no C17 Irish servants became established in Barbados. There are Irish names in the C17 Barbados sources, including Carney which is in my family, but these seem to be from a small group of merchants/mariners mostly of Kinsale who acquired property on the island like other recorded proprietors. Happy reading!

Posted: 1307879769000
I wonder if the Irish took the name of their masters, which seems to have been a common practice. Some of the other islands, the danish west indies for example, kept good tax records of "property", listing slave names and ages, I wonder if there are similar records for Barbados. There must be some records if tens of thousands of Irish did indeed end up as slaves in the islands.

Posted: 1308258211000
Surnames: Boyle
Another book to look for is Testimony of an Irish Slave Girl by Kate McCafferty. You can get it on Amazon. it is a fictional story but with good information on life in Barbados for Irish slaves.
Also is the family name you are researching Boyle? My Barbados family is named Boyle and I have been trying to find the origins of it - both Black and White. I'd be interested to know if you are looking for this family too.

Posted: 1311090058000
I would be interested in the Boyle or O'Boyle name in the Caribbean. I'm not aware that I have any family from here, but who knows? I can only go back a couple generations with the name and have not traced it to Ireland yet.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic