Search for content in message boards

Arthur Thome

Arthur Thome

Posted: 1444588671000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Thome
I read an article regarding Arthur Thome's manumission papers that are held in Oberlin College's Special Collections Library. Does anyone know I would contact to see these papers? Arthur Thome emancipated one of my relatives that I am trying to find out more about.

Re: Arthur Thome

Posted: 1444766218000
I’m not related to any member of this family.

Need the following for Arthur Thome -
DOB + RACE + birthplace
WHO did he marry??? Need her 1st name + DOB + birthplace + race

You wrote - " Arthur Thome emancipated one of my relatives".
WHO is this relative???
Need 1st name + DOB + birthplace + race

Re: Arthur Thome

Posted: 1444828673000
Arthur Thome was a white abolitionist originally from Kentucky. Reportedly, he was a white slave-owner and the first Kentuckian to free approx. 15 slaves between 1832 and 1838 Arthur lost his business and was driven at gunpoint from their home in Augusta, KY and fled to Ohio when he was approx. 70 years old. One of his descendants (Marilee Thome) wrote an article for the CURE organization, which is on the internet. According to the article, records of his manumission papers are stored at Oberlin College, Special Collections Library. listing the names of slaves that he freed. The relative that was emancipated was Cyrus Savage in 1836. I have been unable to contact this organization.
Posted: 1559367091000
Edited: 1559368038000
Surnames: Thom, Thome, Robb, Boude, Armstrong
Sandra,

Here is a link to a pdf with 15 of these documents that I found linked to from an online article.

The pdf:

https://www.ancestry.com/mediaui-viewer/collection/1030/tree...

The article:

https://www.wcpo.com/longform/freedoms-divide

(I hope these links come through all right!)

Arthur Thome was the brother of my husband's GGGGG grandmother Eleanor Thom Robb. His parents were James Thom/Thome who died in Buffalo Township, Northumberland County (now Union County), Pennsylvania about 1790 and James's wife Elizabeth. Here is a link to an Orphan's Court document showing James Thom's heirs:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSKS-L9PR-S...

Arthur was noted as older than 14 but younger than 21 in another Orphan's Court entry on 1 May 1795. He moved to Augusta KY by 1810, when he married Mary Armstrong there. Arthur's sister Anna and her husband John Boude also moved to Augusta KY and they are both buried there. His older brother Robert Thom and sister Eleanor Thom Robb moved to Lexington KY. Robert died there in 1798 and Eleanor died there in 1858.

Arthur Thome's gravestone says he was born 4 Mar 1776. I believe he was born in Lancaster County PA but it might have been Northumberland County (now Union County) PA. He moved to Clark County, Missouri in his old age and died there 6 Jul 1855.

I hope this helps you!

Susan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic