Search for content in message boards

Birth of William Michael McClimont

Birth of William Michael McClimont

Posted: 1011240080000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1011395834000
I have been tracing my family history and have come to dead end. My Great grandfather was born in, I believe, County Down in 1851. This info I found on his death certificate it indicated that his father's name was also William. I see the name mentioned in Ballyhalbert , Ballyfrench and the Barony of Ards

Re: Birth of William Michael McClimont

Hugh Macartney (View posts)
Posted: 1011291531000
Edited: 1151214708000
Surnames: McClimont
In the Ards the names McClimont/McClimond & McClement are all variations of the same Scottish name - Mac Laghmainn - formerly called MacLamond. It is a branch of the Scottish clan Lamont. In Co. Derry the name is usually shortened to Clements.
I have found numerous McClemets in the Ards which I can pass on but for the moment to stick to your ancestor the Copies of Registries for the Barony of Ards,County of Down (1813-21) which you can order through the LDS library, lists William McCliment who registered his land July 19,1813 as living at Bangor. His land was leased from the largest local landowner, Hon. Robert Ward (later Lord Bangor) and the names of lives or other tenants was William McCliment.
The last column also has the note that the land was registered (re-registered ?) at Bangor on Aug. 14th. 1815.
Also a John McClimond registered land at Ballyblack, May 18th., 1815 and the immediate lessor was Hugh McClimond with William Montgomery and Arthur Crawford, Esq. (Crawfordsburn) under names of lives or other tenure. It seems to have been re-registered at Newtownards on January 1816.
The Copy of Registries film # is 258 701 and the reference number though faded seems to be D654 A3/1E
I hope this helps. The spelling of names at this time was somewhat erratic and members of the same family often spelled their surnames differently. The Bangor Abbey graveyard has McClement stones listed under Frazer and Millikin. A troll through the other gravestone inscriptions in the Ards area would be worth trying. The 1886 Directory for Down, N'ards lists John McClements as a wholesale & retail chemist

Posted: 1011326687000
Edited: 1011395834000
Dear Hugh Macartney, Thank you for your very prompt reply to my inquiry. I will take your suggestion on the LDS library covering the Barony of Ards.My research showing the 1880 and the 1900 US census list William as a carpenter/ laborer.The 1900 census states he and his wife Liticia Higgens were in the USA 33 years making their entry 1867. I'm trying to locate entry records for that period. Unfortunately Ellis Island was opened 1892 through 1924 to late for my research. Again many thanks for your most helpful suggestions. Sincerely Peter McClimont

Posted: 1011348419000
Edited: 1067129815000
Surnames: McClimont, Mcwhinney, Hughes, McCartan
Greetings,

The name of McCLIMONT appears in Vol. 11 of County Down Graveyard Inscriptions, edited by R.J.S. Clarke.

Movilla Graveyard, Newtownards.

McCLINTON see under HUGHES
HUGHES: [Laid flat with modern McCARTAN stone]
Erected by Elizabeth Hughes in memory of her husband James Hughes late of Newtownards who departed this life 7th July, 1834, aged 62 yrs.
The above Elizabeth Hughes alias McCLIMONT died 4th Nov. 1854 aged 52 yrs.

Vol. 15: Barony of Ards: Ballyhalbert, Glastry; Whitechurch;

Buried at Whitechurch Graveyard, Ballywalter

McWHINNEY: Erected ;by Samuel Mcwhinney of Dunover in memory of his three children, Mary Jane, James & Ellen who died young.
And a 2nd Ellen who died in infancy.
Also his grandson S. McCLIMONT. Also his daughter Bella Mcwhinney who departed this life 5th April, 1876 aged 25 yrs.
Also the above named Samuel McWhinney died 30th May 1879 aged 72 yrs.
And his wife Eliza Anne McWhinney died 6th June, 1879 aged 71 yrs.

Hugh Macartney (View posts)
Posted: 1011419797000
Surnames: McClimont/McClement - 17th.C listing
I thought this might be of interest to you from an historical aspect. Hanna's "The Scotch Irish" in Vol. 1, page 496 lists early settlers in the Ards who came over from Scotland around 1610. A prominent family were the Orrs who originally settled in the townlands of Ballyblack and Ballykeel. James Orr of Ballyblack died in 1627 and Janet McClement, his wife, died in 1636. The descendants of this couple were very numerous and intermarried with a great many of the local families whose names are listed but too numerous to copy out here. The descendants in the female line intermarried also with most of the prominent names in the Ards. This 2 volume work, long out of print is often availabel at major public and university libraries. It often can be bought second hand through the net but costs quite a lot. The list of names was originally taken from the Montgomery Manuscripts edited by Rev. George Hill on page 66. I am pretty sure the McClimonts are in the direct line from Janet McClement. If you wanted a copy of the names of all the related families I could photocopy it and post it to you.

Peter McClimont (View posts)
Posted: 1012076817000
Dear Hugh, I just read your email of the 18th concerning The Scotch Irish vol 1. I have been on the road and not keeping up with my research. I appricate your help with William Mc Climont research and would like a copy of Janet McClement's direct line. I'm staying in Florida until April 2,my address untile then is 12203 Forest Green Dr. ,Boyton Beach, Fl. 33437 and the email address is maxangela@aol.com Thanks once more, Peter.

John McClements (View posts)
Posted: 1023846583000
I have been trying to search my father's background, he is from Downpatrick, County Down and he came over to Canada on a ship in or around 1910 - 1915, his name was William McClements, he had a sister Hester, brothers Tom and Hugh. Tom and Hester came over to Canada in or around the same time but on another ship. They all settled in Georgetown, Ontario.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic