Search for content in message boards

MARGARET (MILLER) UPDEGRAFF -(MRS. HERMAN)

MARGARET (MILLER) UPDEGRAFF -(MRS. HERMAN)

Posted: 891086400000
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 1163302233000

AGED LADY KILLED BY A TRAIN Mrs. Margaret Updegraff Meets Sudden Death at Morrellville P.R.R. Crossing this Morning

Mrs. Margaret Updegraff, relict of Herman Updegraff, was instantly killed at 9:45 o'clock this morning on the Pennsylvania Railroad in the 20th ward. She was in the 79th year of her age, Mrs. Updegraff made her home with son-in-law and daughter-Mr. and Mrs. JOHN W. WILLIAMS-of No. 100 Sheridan Avenue, and returned on Mail Express yesterday from a visit of three weeks to her sisters-Mrs. SUSAN LANE and Mrs. EMILY SPRINGER--at New Florence, Westmoreland County.
She alighted from the train at Sheridan Station yesterday and walked up the railroad tracks to her home. She told her daughter this morning that she was going to the home of her son, James, on du Pont Place, 17th ward, to spend the day with his family and it was while she was on her way there that she met with the fatal accident. Mrs. Williams wanted to accompany her mother across the railroad tracks, but the aged lady spoke of how she walked from Sheridan to her home yesterday on the tracks, and refused to allow her daughter to accompany her to the railroad which is but a short distance from Mr.Williams' residence. She said she would stand at the tree, meaning a large oak, and listen if there might be a train coming before she would attempt to cross the tracks. She must, however, have neglected this precaution, or been deceived by her ears, for a very few minutes after she left the house the second section of Pacific Express struck her. The fatal accident occurred at a path across the railroad a few yards west of the Laurel avenue crossing. The remains were picked up and carried back to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Williams, where they were prepared for burial by Undertaker John Henderson.
Mrs. Margaret Updegraff was born Feb. 15, l82O, her maiden name being MARGARET MILLER. She was married in this vicinity many years ago to HERMAN UPDEGRAFFf, and for a long time they resided in the vicinity of the Baltimore & Ohio station, on Washington Street. Herman Updegraff was a conductor the Pennsylvania Railroad, and was killed at Derry, Westmoreland County in 1861. His remains were brought here and interred in the Levergood Cemetery, where the local Electric Light Plant now stands. Later they were exhumed and interred in Grand View Cemetery.
Since the death of her husband, Mrs. Updegraff has made her home with her children. Mr. and Mrs. Williams were residents of Horner Street, 17th ward until five months ago, when they moved to the place where they now reside.
The deceased is survived by four sons and one daughter viz: William of Harrisburg; George, of Chicago; Henry, of New Castle; Margaret, wife John Williams, and James of the 17th ward. John, Annie, Virginia, and Catherine Updegraff, three other children, died in this city many years ago.
Mrs. Updegraff had been a member of the Lutheran Church for a number of years.
At the time of her death she was connected with the Trinity Lutheran Church, but since she located in the 20th ward, she has been a faithful attendant at the services in the church there.
The funeral will take place on Sunday afternoon from the home of Mr. & Mrs. Williams. Rev. G. W. W. Amick, late Pastor of the Trinity Lutheran Church, and Rev. F. S. Schultz, of Morrellville, will conduct the obsequies, and interment will be made in Grand View Cemetery.

Re: MARGARET (MILLER) UPDEGRAFF -(MRS. HERMAN)

Posted: 1048303778000
Classification: Query
Rosemary are you related to to my grgrgrgrandma

Rosemary Miller (View posts)
Posted: 1048361265000
Surnames: Miller, Updegraff, Dick
Off the top of my head, Margaret Miller (b. 1820) was Philip Miller's (b. 1812) sister. I have some information on this family. My husband's father was raised by Sam Miller & Sarah (Dick) Miller who lived in Johnstown, PA. Is this the same family?

Posted: 1048364221000
Edited: 1062260858000
off hand I wouldn't know of the same family, any info you do have on my grgrgrgrandma and her brother Philip would be appreciated.Thanks

Rosemary MIller (View posts)
Posted: 1064881558000
Edited: 1065120683000
Surnames: Miller
I have some information on that Miller family. They once lived in Johnstown, PA. I don't know if there are any other relatives in that area any more. Please wirte to me at riffith@twd.net. We can compare notes.

edward m updegraff (View posts)
Posted: 1107991306000
rosemary enclose is my new email, its been awhile, my 3rdgreatgrandma was margaret miller updegraff

Posted: 1277609651000
Surnames: Miller, Updegraff
Margaret Miller Updegraff is my great (x4) grandmother. Where did you find this article on her death?
Also, does anyone know the names of Margaret Miller's parents?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic