Search for content in message boards

PLEASE: Any information would be helpful

PLEASE: Any information would be helpful

Posted: 1346291411000
Classification: Query
Surnames: COBB
Hi, My name is Paula McClees Cobb and I am helping my husband, John Cobb with his family history. Not much is known about the Cobb side so here is what I have thus far. If ANYONE has ANYTHING they are willing to share I would appreciate it. Thank you:
My Husbands name is John Timothy Cobb and his father is Harry Lozier Cobb (Jr.) (b)2/13/1935 in Oakland California he married Judy Lathen and had 3 sons. David, Harry and John...Harry Lozier Cobbs father is also Harry Lozier Cobb (Sr.) (b) July 16, 1896 somewhere in California and married Dorothy A Glasgow..I've heard that Harry Lozier Jr. was an only child but not sure...I "THINK" Harry (Sr.) father was Henry W. Cobb (b)June 30, 1863 in Ohio. Where in Ohio I don't know. He married Virginia Gentry (aka)-Bird and had 2 sons. Harry and Frances. This is where I could use some help...If ANYONE has ANYTHING you would be willing to share starting from Henry and going backwards I would love to talk to you...My Father in Law, Harry Lozier Jr. was an only child and his father Harry Sr. was killed in a car accident on December 24th 1935 when my Father in law was only 10 months old so there isn't a lot my husband has to go on...Thank you so much in advance to any one who can help in this search

Re: PLEASE: Any information would be helpful

Posted: 1346394692000
I am not related, but this seems to be the family of Henry W. Cobb:

United States Census, 1870," Casper Cobb in household of Casper Cobb, Pennsylvania, United States
Cobb, Casper, born 1834 Ohio, age 36
Cobb, Mercy born Pennsylvania 1835
Cobb, Irene, born Ohio age 12
Cobb, Clinton born Ohio age 10
Cobb, Henry, born Ohio age 7
Cobb, Lester, born Ohio age 2

Casper is later in California voter registration
California, Great Registers, 1866-1910," Casper Cobb, 1879
S Red Bluff, Tehama, California, United States
Estimated Birth Year: 1834
Birthplace: Ohio

have you searched here:
https://familysearch.org/

Posted: 1346421894000
Thank you so much...I do believe this is the right Henry. I'm going to have to check into it a little more to be positive but i'm 99% sure it is...I wasn't aware he had brothers and sisters...If he checks out then I have to start looking for Casper Cobbs father. WOW! What a find...Thank you again!!!!

Posted: 1346515731000
Surnames: Cobb, Woolman
Ms Cobb,

Not related to this line but a search finds this family, if same as it appears to be so, originally as Cobbs from Virginia in censuses. It appears the "s" was eventually dropped from the name; Cobbs is a name used in the southern U.S. branches of the Cobb/Cobbs families immigrated from England. Other Cobb families from the Barnstable, Mass. and Taunton, Mass. branches (separate lines) had the name Cobb only and moved westward, many to Ohio (starting from MA, NY and VT residences) and then westward but some went south as well (like TX).

1850 United States Federal Census - Casper Cobbs;
Family:
Lindsey Cobbs, 46, Carpenter, Virginia
Anna W Cobbs, 44, New Jersey [maybe Woolman?, see below]
Charles Cobbs, 21, Dentist, Ohio
Amasa Cobbs, 19, Carpenter, " (Ohio)
Sibyl Cobbs, 18, " (Ohio)
Casper Cobbs, 15, " (Ohio)
Henry Cobbs, 10, " (Ohio)
Ruthanna Cobbs, 8, " (Ohio)
Margaretta Cobbs, 6, " (Ohio)
Thomas Cobbs, 2, " (Ohio)

Lines 28 - 29: (fam#49)
Abner Woolman, 76, None, New Jersey
Martha Woolman, 75, New Jersey
Lines 30 - 37: Thomas Woolman (40, b. Penn.) and family
Also has in lines 37-42 (fam#/52),Robert Cobbs family that follows the Woolman families above; he was 44, b. Virginia.

There are other Cobbs families on the previous page (with 1 family of Levi Cobbs) and following census pages (two families); including
Lines 5 - 6 (fam#53)
Margaret Cobbs, 73, Virginia [[mother? of above Cobbs (Lindsey, Robert?) also Howse and Samuel's family (below)]]
Howse Cobbs, 39, Carpenter, Ohio

Casper Cobb, aged 36 in 1870 census in Beaver Falls, Beaver, Pennsylvania has a family with son Henry Cobb, 7.

Casper Cobb, 45, is in 1880 census with family including Henry Cobb, 16, in Red Bluff, Tehama, California.

Regards,
Paul Cobb,
File Manager, Barnstable's and Boston's Cobb lines of "Cobb & Cobbs" at
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cobb/

Posted: 1346518546000
Surnames: Cobb
Ms Cobb,

Sorry, left out of previous posting, please note in ref. to 1850 census. Add the following:

Home in Smith, Mahoning, Ohio's census on 9/20/1850, Lines 18 - 27 (fam#48)

Family:
Lindsey Cobbs, 46, Carpenter, Virginia
Anna W Cobbs, 44, New Jersey
If you need further info on likely related families there in 1850 or the 1870 or 1880 censuses given re: Casper Cobb's family (as 's' was dropped from Cobbs), let us know here.

No connection found in a search on Cobb & Cobbs as it is not complete for the Virginia line, but the family is probably from a descendant of one of two lines in Virginia.

"By 1650, there were two Cobb families firmly established in Virginia, within just a few miles of each other...the families of Ambrose Cobbs" [1603-1655] "in what is now York County, and that of Joseph Cobb in Isle of Wight County. DNA analysis of descendants of both men has now clearly established these two families were UNRELATED."

A DNA test taken from a Cobb Surname DNA Project (like FTDNA or Ancestry) [of a male, like your husband or his male siblings] would help determine which line he descends from if you want to get a better handle of the past ancestry.

Paul Cobb

Posted: 1346520808000
Surnames: Cobb
Ms Cobb,
Further data ... Please note census records are free to search on Ancestry this weekend through 9/3/2012, thus you can find these records there.

1900 United States Federal Census
Household Members: 6/12/1900 - Sheet #13A, SD #2, ED #69; Ward 4, 716 Oak St., Lines 27 - 29:
Henry W Cobb, Head, June 1863, 36, Md-4yrs., Ohio, Ohio, Ohio, Manager, Bicycle Store
Bird Cobb, Wife, July 1878, 21, Md-4yrs., 1 ch., 1 lvg., Nebraska, Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania,
Harry L Cobb, Son, Apr 1896, 4, S, California, Ohio, Nebraska
John T Douglass, Boarder, F, 36, Md-16yrs., 0 ch., 0 lvg., Ireland, Ireland, Ireland - [John must be incorrect if Female and has marr. info]

U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
Name: Harry Lozier Cobb
City: San Francisco
County: San Francisco
State: California
Birthplace: California,United States of America
Birth Date: 16 Jul 1896

1920 United States Federal Census
Household Members: 1/8/1920 -- Sheet #5A, ED #126; #1204 38th Ave. Precinct 210, Lines 16 - 20:
Henry W Cobb, Head, 56, Md, Ohio, Ohio, Ohio, Machinist, Automobile
Bird Cobb, Wife, 42, Md, Nebraska, Tennessee, Illinois, None
Harry L Cobb, Son, 23, S, California, ... None
Francis A Cobb, Son, 13, S, California, ... None
Mercy Cobb, Mother, 84, Wd, Ohio, Ohio, Ohio, None

1930 United States Federal Census - Oakland, Alameda, California:
Harry L Cobb, 34
Dorothy A Cobb, 26

(See my other earlier postings re: this family as originally as Cobbs from Virginia)

Paul Cobb

Posted: 1346795703000
Thank you so much Paul...You have such a tremendous help to my husband and myself...I think I'm going to have to subscribe to Ancestry. Apparently there is a lot of information out there, I just have to start digging. I would really love my husband to join the Cobb DNA project, that would open up a whole new door. I wish my McClees side had that...Thank you again ever so much and if you come across anything else I'm ALWAYS willing to read about what's out there : }
per page

Find a board about a specific topic