Search for content in message boards

St. Francis Industrial School for Boys

St. Francis Industrial School for Boys

Helen T. Colbert (View posts)
Posted: 1053566981000
Classification: Query
St, Francis Ind. School (later known as St. Francis Vocational School) was founded in 1888 as a home for ophaned boys, usually ages 12-18. It was established by two daughters of a wealthy Phila. financier. Due to economic considerations, the huge, imposing, 4-story brick building was razed. Today, several new group homes occupy a portion of the property and the rest of the acreage, I believe, is for sale. My late father was also a student at the school in the 1920's, and after graduation, stayed on as an instructor in the woodworking department. If you would like a picture of the original building, please contact me.

Re: St. Francis Industrial School for Boys

Posted: 1080154055000
I can remember my aunt every Christmas would have the same boy from St. Francis spend the holiday with her. I can only remember his first name "Bobby". I would love to have a picture of the school because I have this info included in my family tree info. My address is : Fran Staerk,1010 Harrison Street, Bristol,PA.19007. E-Mail is Staerkc@AOL.Com. Thanking you in advance. Sincerely, Fran

Posted: 1154786682000
my great granparents worked for the st. francis vocational school for children in eddington ,pa in the 1950's I have a postcard pictures of it.Judy

Posted: 1178489245000
The alumni of St. Francis Vocational School had its annual Communion Breakfast today. It's usually the first Sunday of May. While the numbers of us dwindle we remarked that few of us had photographs of our beloved "HUT" or other buildings we called home for a significant part of our lives except in our memories before it was razed in recent years to make use of the land for real estate development. So, if there is a way for you or any readers of this reply to share photos of St. Francis Vocational School, please contact me or a member of the alumni board or even the current staff of the de La Salle Vocational School on Bristol Pike - It still exists! So, Bucks, let me know how to obtain a copy(ies) of your photo(s). With my sincere thanks. Ed Mockapetris uncledphl1@verizon.net

Posted: 1178489880000
Hello! Judy,
Are the postcard pictures you have the same as the postcard picture posted in archives at ancestry.com? This would be the black and white linen type Artvue postcard, 5th Ave. N.Y., from circa 1930 to 1945 of St. Francis Vocational School. Please let me know if you have something different and if I can get a copy or two. Thanks in advance. Please see earlier post today about our Annual Communion Breakfast.

Posted: 1178570326000
Hi,Ed. What I have is a copy that my uncle sent to me for my books. On the top left it says St. Francis Vocational School. Eddington, Pa.

Posted: 1178570418000
Hi,Ed. What I have is a copy that my uncle sent to me for my books. On the top left it says St. Francis Vocational School. Eddington, Pa.

Posted: 1178635221000
Hi, Pietonpol.
Is your copy of the picture the same as the one posted here on the Ancestry.Com website? The picture on the website is a black and white postcard from around 1930-1945 on aged linen type paper that gives the picture a yellowish tint. While it says "Saint Francis Vocational School" in the upper left corner the back of the postcard shows that it was made by ArtVue on 5th Avenue in New York.
If you have the color post card that was made later, in the late 1950's or early 1960's or another photograph of the building, I would be interested in obtaining a copy. Or perhaps you could post on this website. Your reply would be greatly appreciated.
BTW-who was your uncle? and when was he at St. Francis? I was there from 1959 to 1964 and I'm looking for classmates from my era.
Ed

Posted: 1178663005000
hi ed i posted the picture i have to your email uncledphl1@verizon.net. let me know?

Posted: 1247245316000
I lived at St. Francis at Street Rd and Bristol Pike in Eddington, PA. from 1974 to 1976. I am trying to find a picture for my archives. Can anyone assist me with this?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic