Search for content in message boards

Newmans & Browns in Sampson County

Newmans & Browns in Sampson County

Posted: 1317866684000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Newman
Edward, son of William Newman and Mary ?, died in the Rev War but his heirs received a bounty land grant for 640 acres for his 84 months service. Sarah transferred this to James Carraway "for value received" in 1791. Edward and Sarah's oldest son, William, was born c1774 and died btw 1850-1860 in Sampson; his son Jacob died in Sampson in 1869. Another son of William and Mary was John Newman, my ancestor, born c1775, who relocated with his wife and children to Pulaski County, Georgia between 1820 and 1830.

I've seen sources that show William married Nancy Brown, daughter of Arthur and Lucy (Butler) Brown. But a pension application filed by Arthur and Lucy's son Arthur in about 1836 states that Ann Brown married John Newman. Assuming Ann/Nancy same person, and my John Newman was married to a Nancy. William was apparently a widow by the 1850 census and I haven't seen another source as of yet for this marriage (or for John's for that matter).

Any information on the Sampson County Newmans and related lines would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Newmans & Browns in Sampson County

Posted: 1328493230000
Surnames: Brown/Butler
Arthur Brown and Lucy Butler are my ancestors. I have found so much information in the Sampson County Register of Deeds which is on line. The deeds go back to the 1700's and include Duplin County. Cumberland county's deeds are on line at their site and go back to the 1700's. I have learned to copy the original PDF files and paste them into Paint and save them as a PNG file and post them as pictures.

Posted: 1328574675000
Surnames: Newman, Brown, Butler
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've found the Sampson County deeds that are now online and have downloaded all kinds of great stuff from there. Familysearch.org also has will images for Duplin and Sampson counties, which has been very convenient. I haven't checked the Cumberland county deeds yet, but will do so.

Any ideas on who William Newman's wife, Sophia, might have been? In 1832, she and William, along with Hardy Royal Sr., sold 189 acres to John Butler. John's price to Hardy was $100, but only one cent to William and Sophia and it referred to "the natural affection that he the said William Newman and Sophia Newman hath to the said John Butler...."

I've always assumed that Sophia was a second wife, and wonder if perhaps John Butler was a son by a previous marriage. That wouldn't explain the tie-in with Hardy Royal, however. Hardy bought the 189 acres in 1828 at public auction; it had previously been owned by Reddin Butler. William Newman's son, Jacob, was a witness to the deed transfer when Hardy bought the land, but Hardy was the sole grantee so I'm mystified as to why William and Sophia Newman would have been named as grantors as well when the land was sold 4 years later.

Donna

Posted: 1328663921000
Surnames: Newman & Brown
View Maj. Robert Butler's will in my tree. I got a copy of the original in Raleigh and typed it in my tree. It mentions his son John Butler, daughter Sophia Royal and William Newman was their neighbor.

Posted: 1328710644000
I'd seen the Sophia Royal listed in Robert's will but if the other public trees here at ancestry.com are correct, she died in 1805. She would have been a great candidate, though!

Posted: 1329099387000
Surnames: Newman & Brown in Sampson County
I have Arthur Brown's 1826 will. Husband of Lucy Butler. I'm surprized I haven't typed it up yet. He mentions his daughter Nancy Newman. Also the Sampson County Heritage book says Nancy was married to Jacob Newman. The DAR web site says Sophia Butler was married to Wright Ryals. Note that Robert Butler's will says Sophia Royal"s".

I spend most of my time "proving" my ancestors now. If I relied on other public trees, I would have nothing on Arthur Brown Jr. or Alexander McArthur. I have spent many hours at the libraries in Fayetteville and Raleigh. Hang in there and good luck!

Posted: 1329113175000
Nancy Brown's brother, Arthur, Jr., said she was married to John Newman in his 1845 application to get his mother's widow's pension (presumably as whatever she'd been entitled to would accrue to her estate). I'd say a brother was a pretty reliable informant on such a question.

Jacob Newman is not part of my direct line but I've looked over a number of his records and haven't ever seen a Nancy mentioned. He was married to Mary Ann Royal, granddaughter of Owen Royal - in 1832 she and Jacob sold 90 acres to Ollen Royal that were described as "being the third part or lot of the lands of Owen Royal Decd." Owen's will, written in 1820, named as legatees the sons and daughters of his sons William, Labon, John and Biggars Royal, so Mary Ann was obviously the daughter of one of them.

Jacob may have had other marriages, or so I've heard other family researchers say, but I haven't seen evidence of that so far. But I haven't done in-depth research on him, either, so could be wrong.

I have the wills of Arthur Brown, Edward Brown and Robert Butler, among others. Sometimes trying to untangle the generations, in light of the recurring given names, can be a real challenge, though!

Thanks for your response.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic