Search for content in message boards

Seek Jonathan N Wells, Nflder living in New Brunswick 1911

Seek Jonathan N Wells, Nflder living in New Brunswick 1911

Posted: 1271103744000
Classification: Query
Surnames: WELLS
Seek whereabouts/information on Jonathan N[oseworthy] Wells and family, who according to 1911 census for Parish of Lancaster, New Brunswick had wife Ella I. age 30; and children Elva C. age 7; Arthur J, age 5; Robert A., age 3 yrs; and Clara H. age 5 months. Have information on his Newfoundland origins would like to learn more about his life and family in New Brunswick.

Re: Seek Jonathan N Wells, Nflder living in New Brunswick 1911

Posted: 1271110672000

No luck with Jonathan so far but have a little on her

Ella Irene Bastain b/1881 d/ 1952/12/07
buried in Cedar Hill Cemetery Saint John NB
she was born in Rogersville NB
father John Bastian mother Clara Hartt
they were living on Old Black River Rd in Saint John
at time of her death 1952 2 children mentioned
Eloin C Wells b/1903/10/12
Robert Albert b/1908/03/11

this information on PANB site under Brennans Funeral
Home

Posted: 1271416764000
From Cedar Hill Extension Cemetery by Daniel Johnson

H-3603 Jonathan N Wells 1871-1962/ Ella I. 1876-1952/ David T. 1947-1948/ James W. Died 1955/ Robert A. 1908-1994

Posted: 1271692978000
Surnames: Wells
Thank you so much for the information. Jonathan Noseworthy Wells was born on 31 Oct 1875 at Cupid's Conception Bay, NL. He was the son of William Wells and Harriet Jane Noseworthy, both of Cupids.

Posted: 1271693414000
Thank you so much for information. It's a big help in finding out what happened to Jonathan. His family lost touch with him when he left Newfoundland. Everyone thought he had moved to Montreal! He had 6 other siblings: Robert Henry 1868-1897; George 1871 - 1872; Mary Ann 1873 - 1913; James Archelano 1878- bet 1921 - 1935; Samuel Woodley 1880-1889; William Stewart 1883 - 1972

Posted: 1340546806000
Edited: 1340550319000
Surnames: Wells, Bastian, Hart
Hi, I am the great granddaughter of Jonathan Noseworthy Wells. According to my grandmother, his daughter (Florence Marguerite Wells 1916-1993), Jonathan was actually born on a schooner off the coast of Newfoundland. He married Ella Irene Bastian on Jun 30, 1901. They supposedly had twelve children, two sets of twins that did not live. I have been trying to find information on Jonathan's family from Newfoundland and England. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
Sheryl Berniche

Posted: 1340737826000
Hi Sheryl,

Certainly I can help you with Jonathan's direct line in Newfoundlnad, but unfortunately in over 30 yrs of research I have not been able to find the English origins for this family. My grandfather often stated that the Wells came from the Channel Islands, but nothing about where or who the first person was to arrive to NL. Jonathan's father was William Wells, who married Harriet Jane Noseworthy in 1867 at Cupids, Conception Bay, NL,. His parents were James and Susanna Wells. James' origins are lost in the midst of time, but his wife Susanna was the daughter of Henry and Mary Ann Wells of Salmon Cove, South River, Conception Bay, NL. Henry d. Sep 1860 and must have been born c. 1791 while his wife, Mary Ann died 1857. She was born c. 1797. Again I have never been able to find the origins of these people.

From my calculations we are third cousins, once removed! If you wish I can send you some additional information on Jonathan's father and his descendants, but if will have to be later this summer as I am buried in work at the moment. Would love to correspond with you more and learn something about Jonathan's family and his descendants if possible. If you wish please send me your emial address and I will forward you a report on William and Harriet as it is too long for this format.

Posted: 1355192235000
Hi my name is Herman Wills, grandson by marriage to Jonathan N. Wells. The name got changed somewheres in NB and some of the paper work with marriages etc. My step father was Arthur Wills (Wells). I am currently working on a family tree trying to put things together, some other cousing are too interested in persuing the tree and any help will be useful. It is very confusing looking at records from Brigus, Cupids and Ancestry.ca

Has anyone done a tree on the family to your knowledge? I live in the Halifax area and have a distant cousin Jonathan Seaward whose grandmother I believe was Mary Ann, whom we have a picture of.

Posted: 1359499843000
Hi Herman,

Sorry for the delay in replying, but it's only now I'm getting back to working on my family history after the Christmas break. I should be able to answer some of your questions regarding Jonathan N.'s Newfoundland family as I have been working on this line for the past 30 yrs. With that said I think there will always be questions (hence my use of the word some) as I can only go back about another 3 genenations from Jonathan because at that point the records are patchy at best. Unfortunately I have never been able to discover the European origins of the family; they stop in Newfoundland. I seriously doubt anyone will find exactly where they came from short of a miracle or finding long lost family documents or church records.

I'm delighted to have made contact with someone from Jonathan's line as once he moved to NB he sort of disappeared from the family radar. In fact his youngest brother William Stewart thought he had moved to Montreal without leaving any forwarding address. Apparently, later in life, Stewart had tried to find Jonathan but alas never did. Guess he never thought to look in NB! Of course the name change didn't help either.

For the most part Jonathan's ancestors came from Cupids, Conception Bay, NL, however, his immediate family did some moving and this might be why you have had problems sorting them out. Jonathan had 6 siblings in all: Robert Henry (1868-1897); George (1871-1872); Mary Ann Wells (c1873-1908); James Archelano (1878- c1925-35); Samuel Woodley (1880-1889) and William Stewart (1883-1972). Some time shortly before 1889 the family moved from Cupids, Conception Bay to Whitbourne. My grandfather told me that William (Jonathan's father)worked on the estate of Sir Robert Bond, who was Prime Minister of Newfoundland between 1900-1909. Sadly the family encountered some trials at Whitbourne as Jonathan's younger brother, Samuel, was drowned in a pond at Harbour Grace Junction (now called Whitbourne) on the 11 March 1889. I suspect the family had only moved there shortly before as they returned his body for burial in Cupid's United Church Cemetery and instead of interment at Whitbourne. In 1895, Jonathan's mother, Harriet Jane nee NOSEWORTHY, born c1846(hence the origin of his middle name), died at Whitbourne at the age of 49 yrs. She was buried at Whitbourne followed by Jonathan's oldest brother, Robert in 1897. William, Jonathan's father remarried in 1902 to Jessie Ann Hillier (1875-?) and they had 3 more children: Elsie (1902-?); Christiana A. (1904-1992) and Samuel George Wells (1908-2004). William died on the 29th Oct 1908, 2 months after his youngest son's birth. It seems after this the family sort of scattered. Mary Ann's husband, Thomas Seward, died in 1897 at Whitbourne and it appears she moved back with her 3 young children to Cupids where she later remarried and died in child birth in 1908. In the meantime Jonathan was thought to have moved to Montreal. Not an unusual thought considering others in the family had moved there seeking work also. In the case of James Archelano Wells, he and his family moved to Corner Brook and settled there where he worked for the railway. As for William Stewart Wells he moved to Hartford Conn, USA where he settled and raised his family. He returned once to NL as my mother can remember meeting him when he stayed with my grandfather. Both he and my grandfather were close in age and after the death of his father Stewart moved in with my grandfather's family for a while before moving to the US.

If you have any information you wish to share I would be happy to learn of it. I am certainly interested in this Jonathan Seward and his relationship to Mary Ann. Her children are another group who seem to have scattered upon her death and I would love to learn more about them if possible. Also I would appreciate learning more about Jonathan's family if you are willing.

If you would like to correspond more, maybe you would like to contact me directly. Let me know and I will be happy to give you my e-mail address.

Welcome to the family!

Judy

Posted: 1359566351000
Surnames: Wells, Noseworthy
Wow, you've done lots of searching for sure. thanks for you reply. I have some questions for you and you can be sure I will share data with you about this part of the family once I have taken your information and updated the tree I have started.

Any idea where William came from, did he come from Europe and likewise for Harriet? I did find a birth for a Harriet Jane Noseworthy from Shoals Cv, NL. born around 1855. Could it be?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic