Search for content in message boards

1913 Burial

1913 Burial

Posted: 1461293968000
Classification: Query
If someone died in 1913 in Roxton, Lamar Co, Texas, where would they most likely be buried? I am looking for the burial site of HATTIE LAWSON MATHEWS, died 1913 in Roxton.

Re: 1913 Burial

Posted: 1461691717000
Found this in "Obituaries, Socials and Other Solicitudes" by Patricia Armstrong Newhouse, pg 73
News was received in the city last Friday of the death at Roxton of Mrs. Haddon Matthews of congestion. Mrs. Matthews was before the marriage Miss Hattie Lawson, daughter of Mr. W. C. Lawson, formerly of Honey Grove, but now of Roxton. Many friends in this city were deeply pained by the news of her death. (Paris News-June 13, 1913). Evergreen Cemetery is the largest in Paris, TX. If you can find her death certificate, or that of her husbands, it should tell you where they were buried.

Posted: 1461695488000
Thank you so much.

Posted: 1461697384000
I saw on Hadden Mathews death certificate that he was living in Hugo, OK, approx. 25 miles north of Paris. Here are the Mathews names buried in Mt. Olivet Cemetery, including Hadden's. Do you know this area, my husband was born and raised in Hugo, and we lived there about 30 years, until his death. MATHEW A.D. High Hill
MATHEWS Ada Mt Olivet
MATHEWS Flora Ann Mt Olivet
MATHEWS Hadden Mt Olivet
MATHEWS Henery Hayes Jr. Mt Olivet
MATHEWS Henry Hayes Mt Olivet
MATHEWS J. W. “Bill” Restland
MATHEWS Jack Ft Towson
MATHEWS Jerry Wayne Mt Olivet
MATHEWS Maude M. Restland
MATHEWS Mona Dale Mt Olivet
MATHEWS Vance Odell Ft Towson
MATHEWS Vena Mae Mt Olivet
MATHEWS William H. Mt Olivet

Posted: 1461709501000
Yes, Hadden remarried and he and Ada are buried in Hugo. I have ordered a death certificate for Hattie and maybe it will lead us to my husband's grandmother's burial place. Her parents are buried in Paris. Thank you for your help.

Posted: 1500262235000
Surnames: Sullavan, Sullivan
Wanda, I was reading this thread with interest because my great great grandma John Sullavan is buried most likely somewhere in Lamar County and he does not have a headstone. He is not on the Texas death index. This book you have sounds extremely interesting. John Marion Sullavan (could be found as Sullivan) supposedly died around August of 1905, possibly right over the border in Oklahoma but I'm not sure. He was living in Lamar in 1905, was there as early as 1888. Could you look in your book and see if you see anything on him? Family legend is he was killed in a law enforcement capacity and he was indeed a constable for Lamar in 1902-1904. Was he really killed in his duties or did he maybe just get sick, I don't know.
Any help very much appreciated.
Briana

Posted: 1500345402000
Hi Briana,
I checked both books and my other sources in Choctaw Co OK but was unable to find anything on either Sullavan/Sullivan of Harmless. Sorry. You might check with the genealogy society in Paris-they have great sources.

Posted: 1500363857000
Thank you for looking! I'm planning a trip down there at the end of the month. Is there anywhere else I should go? Heard the library at Paris Jr. College has some things.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic