Amos Achenbach lost life

Sharon (Hartzell) Smith (View posts)
Posted: 1142055723000
Classification: Death
Surnames: ACHENBACH
Ste. Genevieve Herald
Ste. Genevieve, Mo.
Saturday, 14 Jun 1884

The body of Amos ACHENBACH, the young man who lost his life in the river Sunday before last, was found by his comrades, who had kept a sharp look out for it, on Thursday last week. The boys buried the body, after an inquest by the coroner, on the Illinois side. The father of the young man, Sam. ACHENBACH of Bath, Pa., who had been telegraphed the accident that befell his son, arrived at the Southern last Tuesday to take steps for the removal of the body and its transportation to Pennsylvania. The father told a touching story of a willful child breaking away from the gentle restraint of a loving parent and seeking a wilder life of unrestrained freedom. Mr. A. is in easy circumstances, being a landed proprietor and owner of a dairy and cheese factory, and his wayward boy might have had as easy a life as any child could wish, but it was not to be. The boy - he was less than 20 years old at the time of his death - came out west and, his slender means melting away, sought employment on the island to earn money enough to carry him home. His father had offered to send him money, but a sense of pride prompted him to refuse it. May every young man who thinks the restraint loving parents would impose on him for his own good too heavy and irksome, and who longs to be his own master, take warning by the sad fate of poor Amos ACHENBACH. The bereaved father, in company with Theo. KAMPMANN of St. Louis, went to the city on Wednesday to procure a metallic coffin in which to carry the remains of his child home.

I found this on the Ste. Genevieve Mo Webpage and hoped it may help someone.

Re: Amos Achenbach lost life

Posted: 1208471250000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Achenbach
Is he the grandson of Samuel Achenbach B:06 jun 1838 and died 30 Jan 1898? this Samuel is the brother of my great Grandfather Elias achenbach and their father is Samuel Achenbach who was born 08 Oct 1806 in Berks Co., PA.
My e-mail is g.achenbach@yahoo.com

Posted: 1208483607000
I'm sorry I don't know, I just saw on the website and thought I would post for someone who may be looking for this surname.

Posted: 1566418805000
I found this arithmetic book in my house( in NJ) dating from the 1800s with the name Amos achenbach written in the front cover and his writing on the pages. I’m assuming it is this Amos.
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic