Search for content in message boards

Amanda Jane BEGGS - Daughter of Kelly GURLEY and Christian UNKNOWN

Amanda Jane BEGGS - Daughter of Kelly GURLEY and Christian UNKNOWN

Posted: 1208372504000
Classification: Query
Surnames: BEGGS, GURLEY
Amanda Jane GURLEY was married to James BEGGS.
Amanda died April 3, 1910 in Scott County, Missouri.
Her death certificate only show that she was about 38 years old. Didn't know her birth date.
I am trying to piece together the BEGGS line from Scott Co, MO. backwards. I don't know who this James BEGGS belongs to.

Theresa theresagriffiths@iwon.com

Re: Amanda Jane BEGGS - Daughter of Kelly GURLEY and Christian UNKNOWN

Posted: 1208432252000
The death certificate image for Amanda Jane Beggs is online (google "Missouri death certificates"). It says her father was Kelly Gurley and mother's last name was Toler, her Christian or first name not known. According to a message in the ILJOHNSO-L archives, William Russell Gurley married Eliza Toler in Union Co IL in 1868 and they had a daughter named Amanda. The only other Gurley groom, Toler bride marriage showing up in the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index online is that of Anson Gurley and Martha Toler in Union Co in 1851. Ancestry.com doesn't show a likely Kelly Gurley in their census index, so "Kelly" may be William R. Gurley.
==========================================
1900 CENSUS, SCOTT CO MO
Sylvania Twp, 19Jun1900, ED 110, Sheet 14B

JAMES BEGGS, b Feb 1862, age 38, IL IL IL farm laborer
Amanda J., wife, b Jun? 1872, age 27, IL TN IL; md 4 yrs, 1 child, 1 living
Ivey Nora?, dtr, b Mar 1898, age 2, MO IL IL

IL mrg index says James A. Beggs married Amanda Gurley 22 Oct 1896 in Johnson Co IL.

There were three boys named James Beggs from Johnson Co IL born within six years of each other.

Amanda's husband, comparing his age on the 1900 census with the 1880 Johnson Co census, is closest in age to the James in the household of Jane Beggs, who is listed as a widow. Johnson Co marriages show William Beggs married a Mrs. Jane Lowery in 1865.

This William may be the William W. Beggs who married Barbary A. E. Wilhelm in 1853 in Johnson County. See the submission re this couple at
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&d...

A submission to the LDS International Genealogical Index (IGI), source not shown, shows James Beggs, b 1863 Bethany Church, Cache Twp, Johnson Co IL, son of William W. Beggs and Barbara Ann Eliza Wilhelm.

According to the Illinois Statewide Marriage index at
http://www.ilsos.gov/GenealogyMWeb/marrsrch.html
David Franklin Wilhelm married Sarah E. Beggs in Union Co in 1860. See the query re David F. and Sarah at
http://genforum.genealogy.com/wilhelm/messages/122.html
Note that, in the 1860 census below, William Beggs' first son was named David F. Beggs.

1860 Johnson Co census shows WILLIAM W. BEGGS, b ca 1833, with Eliza, b ca 1836, David F. ca 1857 and Elizabeth E. b ca 1859.

1870 Johnson shows WILLIAM BEGGS 38 IL, Jane 38 TN, David 13, Elen 11, Allice 6, Sarah 1 month, Adaline LOWREY 7 IL, and James LOWREY 4 IL. [Note that the name James Beggs does not appear in this household.]

1880 Johnson shows JANE BEGGS 38, James 17 (son), Thomas 14 (son), Lenora 10 (d), Arna? 7 (s), Dora 4 (d). [All family members are listed as born in Tennessee. Jane's age is again 38. Note that James and Amanda had a daughter whose name appears to be Ivey Nora, possibly named after this Lenora.]

There were two other James Beggs, both of whom appear on page 30 of the Johnson Co IL 1870 census. One is listed as two yrs old, and in the household of "Alex" and "Apsel" Beggs. The second one is listed as three, and in the household of John H. and Susan(nah) [Bridges] Beggs. James, son of John and Susan, died in Cape Girardeau MO in 1923. Date of birth shown as 4 Aug 1867.

William W. Beggs might be one of three boys named William or "Williams" Beggs in the 1850 Union Co census, online at
http://ftp.us-census.org/pub/usgenweb/census/il/union/1850/

Re: attn: oxdrover - Amanda Jane BEGGS - Daughter of Kelly GURLEY and Christian UNKNOWN

Posted: 1210820487000
Surnames: BEGGS, BRIDGES, CAPPS
oxdrover,

Thank You so much for the info and input. I just seen your post back. For some reason I don't get my reply notices from the message boards.
I'm trying to piece together the BEGGS line that went to Scott Co, MO.
I'm also trying to find out who the parents are of William Arthur BEGGS born May 11, 1871 died December 03, 1949 in Scott Co, MO. His death certificate shown both parents are unknown. And he was married to Mary Melissa CAPPS who he married in 1897 Scott Co, MO.
I found a Lewis/Louis Calvin BEGGS born August 30, 1858
Johnson County, Illinois who died April 21, 1924 in Dunklin Co, MO.
I was wondering if maybe this could be his Father since W. A. BEGGS from Morley,Scott Co, Mo. was the informant on his death certificate.
I can't find this Lewis/Louis Calvin BEGGS on the 1880 census to see if he did have a son named William A. BEGGS.
I have Lewis parents as Alexander "Alex" BEGGS and Apsilla/ Aprilla BRIDGES.
Just so many of them running around.
I wrote all this in case someone else reads this also and they connect.
Thanks Again,

Theresa

Re: attn: oxdrover - Amanda Jane BEGGS - Daughter of Kelly GURLEY and Christian UNKNOWN

Posted: 1210988791000
Surnames: Gurley, Toler,Beggs
Anson Gurley m. Martha Toler this is correct. Martha Toler is the daughter of Lewis Toler one of the original Toler brothers who migrated to Union and Johnson Co IL about 1824 -1826. You are interested in the Beggs family Jerry Toler of Anna, may be able to help, I believe there may be a Beggs history at Vienna Library, I don't remember seeing anything at Stinson. I do have Gurley family info and also Toler information. I will have to check on this Kelley Gurley.

Posted: 1210994634000
Illinois Statewide Marriage Index says William R. Gurley married Eliza Toler in 1868. In parentheses someone has added Russell as his middle name. You might check the microfilm of the original county record to see if the handwriting really shows R. Maybe it's K for Kelly and not R for Russell as somebody indicated. The reason I suggest this is because the web site at

http://www.heritech.com/soil/genealogy/gurley/gurley.htm

shows that William Kelly Gurley and John Anson Gurley were brothers, and sons of Hugh and Charity (Wiggs) Gurley of Union Co IL.

The 2001 message from Tim Casey to the ILJOHNSO-L list also indicates William and Eliza (Toler) Gurley were the parents of a girl named Amanda. You might ask him if he has any more details about her.

I'm not researching Beggs, but I am related to the Biggses of Union County. They've already been documented, so I'm no longer seeking info on them.

Posted: 1210994999000
Oops. Sorry, Tim. I thought I was replying to another message from Theresa. Didn't notice the message from you.

Andy (oxdrover)

Posted: 1211001773000
The index to Ancestry.com's database of family trees shows a Beggs Family Tree with William Arthur Beggs, born 1871, died Missouri, son of Alexander Beggs and ---- Bridges. The submitter's source should be checked before accepting this as correct.

The 1870 Johnson Co IL census shows Alex and "Apsel" had a son named Louis, age 14. So if William Arthur was their son, too, then W. A. Beggs of Morley would have been the informant on Louis' death certificate because he was his brother rather than son. Censuses indicate Louis probably wasn't more than 17 years older than William. I can't find Alex's household in 1880. He's supposed to have died in Johnson Co in 1889.

William (listed as b May 1873) and wife Mary M. (Mar 1882, age 18) appear in the Scott Co MO 1900 census in Morley Twp with daughter Ethel (Oct 1899). On the previous page was the family of Lewis Biggs (b Dec 1856).

Isaac Beggs, b 1851 Johnson Co IL, d 1911 Kelso, Scott Co MO, was son of John H. Beggs. Illinois mrg index shows John "N." "Boggs" m Susannah Bridges in Johnson Co 23 Aug 1855. John H. and Susan (age 38) were one household away from Alex and Apsel in the 1870 Johnson Co census. Son Ike was listed as 18. Place of Isaac's burial was "Cypress" [Johnson Co] IL.

A WorldConnect Project submission states Alex and John H. were brothers. A list of children of John and Elizabeth Bridges shows Apsilla had a sister named Susan, b ca 1835.

Posted: 1211076013000
Surnames: Gurley, Toler, Wiggs
William Kelly Russell Gurley m. Elizabeth Toler probably sister to Martha Toler m. Williams brother Anson Gurley. I am looking at a Gurley family sheet. Hugh Swinton Gurley and Charity Wiggs parents. I am at work so I will check my files at home seems I have every family tree I have but Toler.
Tim

Posted: 1211081048000
Thanks, Tim. Theresa's looking for the parents of Amanda Jane Gurley, b ca 1872 Union Co IL (age "about 38" at death), d 3 Apr 1910 Morley, Scott Co MO. According to her death certificate, her parents were "Kelley" Gurley and (first name unknown) Toler, both b Union Co IL, so it looks like you have the right couple. Amanda married James A. Beggs in Johnson Co IL 22 Oct 1896.

Beggs, Gurley, Rothrock, Toler, Robinson

Posted: 1211223412000
Surnames: Gurley, Toler, Beggs, Rothrock
Theresa I believe you have the correct Amanda Gurley Beggs..
Okay William Kelly Russell Gurley m. Elizabeth Toler dau of Edwin Toler and Amanda Rothrock. Their daughter m James A. Beggs 22 Oct 1896 Johnson Co IL. Amanda was born abt 1872 in Union Co IL. (From Toler and Allied Families)This is all the information I have on Amanda Gurley Beggs I would like any descendants if found. Also Jerry Toler of Anna IL mother was Muriel Beggs, Jerry had a aunt who wanted me to help with her Beggs family, but at the time I was doing Toler family and never got started. She gave me a paper to start with I will check to see if I have it. Also there was some Beggs family that may go into the Treece families. I knew Melvin Beggs and Clyde Beggs of Dongola IL. There was a Beggs barbershop in Dongola IL it's building was torn down and Osman Law firm is there now. My g uncle Ed Toler had a barber shop in the same building with Mr. Beggs. I can help with Amanda's ancestor's Toler and Gurley but not much help for you on the Beggs family.
The above Edwin Toler is my gg Uncle and Amanda Gurley Beggs would be my gg grandfather Ransom Toler's g niece. Samuel Toler my great grandfather would be a 1st cousin to Elizabeth Toler Gurley.
Edwin Toler m.sisters Amanda Rothrock and after her death he married Susannah Rothrock Robinson widow of a Robinson. I believe both daughters of John Rothrock.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic